Convincing spouse to lose weight?

Options
My wonderful husband really should lose some weight. He is significantly obese but is under the impression that he's at a healthy weight and would look frail if weighed 225lbs (weight to be considered just "overweight.")
Any advice?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Encourage an annual wellness check. Make the appt for him if necessary. Getting blood work done and learning from a professional about his health risks may encourage action. Maybe he'll qualify for the ozempic/wegovy stuff?

Does he consume too much beer? Cookies/snacks? Fast food? If it's food related, who prepares most meals? If it's you, make healthier meals and portion sizes, and if you're doing shopping, buy fewer snacks, or healthier snacks. If he wants to eat something different, he'll have to put in the effort. Ease into that though.

At the end of the day, real change is going to have to come from him choosing to make that change.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Yep, like it or not, you can't really convince someone to lose weight. They have to make that choice on their own. As far as Retroguy's idea of healthier portion sizes... well... if a significant other were to try and pull that with me... they wouldn't just be sleeping on the couch, they'd be sleeping on the curb. I'll eat as much as I like.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Don’t go there. Your husband’s weight is his business.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Don’t go there. Your husband’s weight is his business.

Husband to me implies more than just one person in the team. Is the husband's credit card debt his business only? The wife's gambling addiction?

Not saying that the ending will be happy. Or that it can be done .

Just that there's levels. An expensive coffee once a month is not the same as a $20,000 hidden debt.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Yep, like it or not, you can't really convince someone to lose weight. They have to make that choice on their own. As far as Retroguy's idea of healthier portion sizes... well... if a significant other were to try and pull that with me... they wouldn't just be sleeping on the couch, they'd be sleeping on the curb. I'll eat as much as I like.
    If I've made someone a meal and they dislike it so much they expect me to sleep on the couch, they can make their own in future, and it'll be them on the couch.

I'm reminded here of my aunt and uncle. True story. She's not the best of cooks apparently, but regardless she was the one doing the cooking, and one day he said this is trash and actually threw the meal in the trash. She was livid. Refused to ever prepare any food for him again until he apologized. Months went by. Her and her daughters cooking, leaving their leftovers in the fridge that he couldn't touch, and he'd come home from work and have to prepare his own food. As she said, the longer this went on, the bigger the apology would have to be. He caved in the end. I think it cost him a foreign vacation.

How is someone enjoying the food you've cooked so much that they want to eat more than you're willing to let them "disliking" the meat you've cooked?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your responses. A lot of insight given. I am concerned about his health (heart attacks run in the family).

You can try telling him how you feel, how you're worried, how (presumably) you don't want to lose him. If he doesn't have adequate life insurance (especially if you have children who aren't fully launched), you can ask him about budgeting for more life insurance.

But it's unlikely to be effective for you to tell him that you think he needs to lose weight. At some level, even if he won't admit it out loud, he knows he needs to lose weight.

And if you are responsible for meals and start trying to control him by what you serve, don't be surprised if he starts stopping somewhere on the way home to get food. Or sneaking it into the house to eat in the middle of the night. He's already making the decision multiple times a day, conscious or not, that eating what he wants in that moment is more important to him than just about anything else in his life, especially long-term things. That's not likely to change because you decide to cut his servings in half and eliminate the things he thinks are tasty.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    Options
    How is someone enjoying the food you've cooked so much that they want to eat more than you're willing to let them "disliking" the meat you've cooked?
    They said their spouse would be sleeping on the curb...

I know they were joking, but telling someone to leave the house and not sleep at home sure sounds like disliking to me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    What someone else said: do a walk around the neighbourhood with him. Though to be honest, if someone told me "lets walk around the neighbourhood" I'd think: why? There's nothing interesting there. Maybe try to find an active hobby that you'd enjoy doing and that he'd enjoy as well. See if he comes along. Then he might still be overweight but have some exercise even if it might not feel that way. Being overweight is not good for the heart, but being inactive isn't either. Thus you could potentially nudge him carefully into a somewhat healthier lifestyle.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I've lived in very different places. But I do need an ulterior motive to go on a walk. Just going on a walk doesn't really do it for me. Never did. Either some sightseeing is involved or I go geocaching. Or combine both.