What is your favorite pumpkin flavored food?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I usually make pumpkin cranberry orange muffins this time of year. I'm in Massachusetts, Cranberry Country, and they are harvested this time of year, so double seasonal for me.

The link to the recipe I use is broken, but this is similar, except it calls for 2 C sugar - 400 grams - for 24 muffins and I only use 135 grams of sugar, for 12 muffins. Also, I use 200 g cranberries for my 12 muffins and she only uses 120 g for her 24 muffins. I use part of a whole orange and chop it in the food processor with the cranberries, like I do for cranberry/orange relish, so that adds sweetness to the cranberries.

https://thebusybaker.ca/pumpkin-cranberry-muffins/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Evidently not everyone enjoys good Winter squash as much as I do. Personally, I find a lot of the small varieties not as tasty as some of the larger ones. Hubbard is good, but Georgia Candy Roaster is better. I get maybe 8-10 cups of smashed roasted squash out of one of them. I freeze them in 2-cup tempered glass containers with plastic snap-on lids (reusable & microwaveable), and strive to get 25-26 of those in my chest freezer in September-ish (because they don't keep well despite being Winter squash). I need them to last until the next Fall, ideally.

😋 (12in/31cm ruler for scale.)
    d0i8bg86274t.jpg

They also have extra-large plump seeds, better than average for roasted. Bonus!

Yes, I know not everyone has this much freezer space. I can easily and very happily eat one of these within a week or two, if I set my mind to it. So good.

Tiny squash varieties: Not enough squash, even for one meal, in my world.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    My rowing buddy J. made pumpkin caramel dip for our rowing club snack potluck after our moonlight row this past Saturday night. Tasty! (No, I don't know the recipe. It was not a sticky caramel-like texture, very dippable, maybe a texture closer to very thin hummus, but obviously tasting very different. )

She brought some cookies or sweet crackers that were like a puffier cinnamon graham cracker to dip, but it was just as good if not better with some sweet potato chips (tortilla chip like ones) that someone else brought. Yum.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I am so fascinated by this thread! I love learning how things are seen/used differently around the world.

I do a lot of baking and I use canned pumpkin (not the pre-seasoned pie filling). I like to try new pumpkin or pumpkin-spice things that I see pop up in stores. I thought pumpkin spice Cheerios were gross, but pumpkin spice Life cereal was yummy!

I buy butternut squash (which I never knew was called pumpkin in other parts of the world) already cubed, either fresh or frozen, and roast it for a side. I've never bought a whole butternut squash because I'm intimidated by it, lol.

I also buy one or two orange 'Halloween' pumpkins to decorate my front porch with each year. I used to carve them with my family but I've lost interest in that mess.

I do buy butternut squash, or hokkaido pumpkins every now and then. They are quite easy to deal with! I use a potato peeler to get rid of the skin, holding the pumpkin with a kitchen paper towel so that it doesn't slip away. Then use my big chopping knife and cut it in half, use a spoon to remove the seeds. Then cut into slices and then into chunks for soup, risotto, or stew. Takes about ... 15-20 minutes tops.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Evidently not everyone enjoys good Winter squash as much as I do. Personally, I find a lot of the small varieties not as tasty as some of the larger ones. Hubbard is good, but Georgia Candy Roaster is better. I get maybe 8-10 cups of smashed roasted squash out of one of them. I freeze them in 2-cup tempered glass containers with plastic snap-on lids (reusable & microwaveable), and strive to get 25-26 of those in my chest freezer in September-ish (because they don't keep well despite being Winter squash). I need them to last until the next Fall, ideally.

[snipped picture as it is on the same page]

Yes, I know not everyone has this much freezer space. I can easily and very happily eat one of these within a week or two, if I set my mind to it. So good.

My mother usually grows butternut squash and eats them all winter long. One year her vines produced 84 squashes! Note to would-be growers - this takes a LOT of room. Hers spill out of the garden and go all over the field.

She also grew Blue Hubbards one year.

My partner's mother was also a big fan. She liked hers with cinnamon and brown sugar.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I like this vegan Squasharoni recipe, featuring butternut squash. It is nothing like mac and cheese, but good in its own right. I have subbed ACV for the umeboshi vinegar, but do not recommend subbing for the tahini or miso. I do use the white miso called for. If you like red miso and have it on hand it would probably work, but you may want to use less of it.

https://kripalu.org/resources/kripalu-recipe-squash-roni

d2qb2pd21zbo.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    My suggested method for opening a hard-shell Winter squash (no axe):

Take a sharp or serrated knife, and make a short, shallow cut in the squash skin along the line where you want to split the squash.

Next, take a knife or cleaver that is sturdy, i.e., thick-ish on the non-cutting side. Put that blade's sharp edge in the shallow cut (which keeps the big blade from slipping).

Now, take a hammer. If it's a metal hammer, put a folded dishcloth or something on the thick (non-cutting) edge of the big knife/cleaver so you won't be striking hard metal on hard metal. If you have a rubberized hammer like I do, you don't need that cushion. Whack the thick edge of the knife/cleaver with the hammer until the squash starts to split. (You can start with mild whacks, see if it's easier than you're expecting.)

Once the split starts, work your way around the squash, moving the knife/cleaver and extending the crack until you get all the way around.

This works great for me, doesn't require an axe or super strength in any squash I've tried.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My mother usually grows butternut squash and eats them all winter long. One year her vines produced 84 squashes! Note to would-be growers - this takes a LOT of room. Hers spill out of the garden and go all over the field.

My partner's mother was also a big fan. She liked hers with cinnamon and brown sugar.

Butternut are what my family grew all through my youth and beyond. Those are good keepers.

We would pick the ripe squash in Fall, and inspect to find any that were bruised or cut. They need to be used first. The sound ones would be dipped in dilute bleach water, and stored in a cool, dry-ish place (well pit room of our basement, in our case). Once they were fully dry, they were fine in crates. Using them with attention to which were holding well, they would last all Winter.

Most squash or pumpkins require a large growing area: They're rangy.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My suggested method for opening a hard-shell Winter squash (no axe):

Take a sharp or serrated knife, and make a short, shallow cut in the squash skin along the line where you want to split the squash.

Next, take a knife or cleaver that is sturdy, i.e., thick-ish on the non-cutting side. Put that blade's sharp edge in the shallow cut (which keeps the big blade from slipping).

Now, take a hammer. If it's a metal hammer, put a folded dishcloth or something on the thick (non-cutting) edge of the big knife/cleaver so you won't be striking hard metal on hard metal. If you have a rubberized hammer like I do, you don't need that cushion. Whack the thick edge of the knife/cleaver with the hammer until the squash starts to split. (You can start with mild whacks, see if it's easier than you're expecting.)

Once the split starts, work your way around the squash, moving the knife/cleaver and extending the crack until you get all the way around.

This works great for me, doesn't require an axe or super strength in any squash I've tried.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Butternut are what my family grew all through my youth and beyond. Those are good keepers.

We would pick the ripe squash in Fall, and inspect to find any that were bruised or cut. They need to be used first. The sound ones would be dipped in dilute bleach water, and stored in a cool, dry-ish place (well pit room of our basement, in our case). Once they were fully dry, they were fine in crates. Using them with attention to which were holding well, they would last all Winter.

Most squash or pumpkins require a large growing area: They're rangy.

Mom has a very old house with an actual "root cellar" for storing vegetables over the winter, as well as a well pit room.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Elsewhere in my county, as seen in his FaceBook group :lol: :

6vl71646pb0o.png

82drgviwgf5p.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I no longer slice "vegetables" with a mandolin... the meals tend to end up closer to "humanitarian" than "vegetarian" if I do! :wink:

I no longer attempt to slice squashes for similar reasons.

Frozen and canned are just fine...
  • MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin everything!!!! I love this time of year! Cook up some pie pumpkins and add spices to make some delicious pumpkin pies and pumpkin muffins filled with cream cheese or pumpkin cinnamon rolls with all that pumpkin puree!!!

Spices that go along with pumpkin flavorings are amazing by themselves too! On everything please at this time of year!!! From my cheerios pumpkin spice to pumpkin spice coffee creamer....

Sorry, this thread has got me drooling like the food thread.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Pumpkin 🎃 everything.

I love roast pumpkin with a lil sea salt and olive oil. Sometimes I add in shallots and sage.

pumpkin soup 😋
    Coconut, fish & pumpkin stew.

I like buying the mini pumpkins and roasting them as well.

I just saw this recipe and can’t wait to try it:
    White Bean and Sausage Stew in Pumpkin Bowls

• kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    In the US, sweet potato pie is much better, in my opinion, than pumpkin pie. This is for the people who do not like pumpkin pie.