Women who Lift Weights (and do so many other things)

Options

Replies

• nicolemaurerdvm
    nicolemaurerdvm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome to February…spring is in the air (I hope anyway)

Deload week 1/28 to 2/2. Same group of exercises, same sets and reps and at 50-65% RPMs. Deload week felt difficult, even though the weights were much lighter, it was still difficult to get through each workout! It was also a very busy week for work and after work appointments but I got it done! Meals stayed strong and sleep only suffered Sunday night after watching the Lions!

Has anyone else felt like deload weeks are difficult?

Sunday 2/4/24 Leg Day
    Split squats - 35lbs x 8, 40lbs x8, 40lbs x 8
    Heel elevated back squats - 145lbs x 8, 150lbs x 8, 155lbs x 8
    Walking lunges - 35lbs x 8, 40lbs x 8, 40lbs x 8
    Front squats - 125lbs x 8, 130lbs x 8, 135lbs x 8
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs x 8, 40lbs x 8, 42.5lbs x 8
    Back squats - 185lbs x 8, 190lbs x 8, 200lbs x 5 (1-3 were perfect, started rep 4 and wasn’t braced all the way leading to forward weight shift and getting stuck at the bottom but was able to get it up, rep 5 didn’t get low enough (for fear of repeating rep 4) and I failed on rep 6)
    20 rep back squat - 135lbs

Lift hard, lift strong, lift smart. N
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I’m newer to lifting so I’ve never actually done a deload week but I’m interested in learning about it. It sounds like the purpose is to give your body a break while still keeping the muscles active? I’ve been so fatigued I wonder if this is what I need.
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    @earlybirdlady - Deload week is essential a recovery week. I don’t take the whole week off but rather decide to either decrease my reps at same weight or decrease my weight at same reps. This week is meant for the muscles to recover while still working (recruiting less muscle fibers during lift). You can also take the entire week off from exercise during a deload week but I find that it takes me about two weeks after to start to increase my weight vs increasing right away. I know I need a deload week when my body despite adequate nutrition, hydration, and sleep doesn’t preform like I want it to or doesn’t recover like I think it should. Sometimes it comes after 4 weeks, sometimes 8-10 weeks. I find the more gains I make during my weeks, the faster I want a deload week. I make sure my macros are on point during a deload week but don’t decrease or increase my calories at all during that week.
    Take a deload week and see how you feel when you return to your normal schedule - it should be beneficial, it should rejuvenate and revitalize you! That’s my experience anyway. Good luck!
  • earlybirdlady
    Options
    @nicolemaurerdvm Thanks so much for this info! I didn't work out this morning due to sick kid last night so maybe I will try that this week. I use Peloton for my training and do their split programs which are more intense and geared toward hypertrophy. I've been seeing good progress, but I'm thinking maybe this week I'll do some more of the "fun" strength classes that are not so intense. I need to get past the mindset that I need to go hard all the time in order to get the results I want. I'm working more on consistency than perfection. This is super helpful!
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 2/5/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Friday Fight Round 2

Tuesday 2/6/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 12 reps 25lbs Dbs X 1, 30lbs Dbs X 2
    Alternating Bicep Curl 3 sets X 12 reps 20lbs Dbs X 1, Split the second and third sets with 20lbs and 15lbs Dbs
    20 rep back squat barbell - 135lbs
    Diamond Dumb Bell Close Grip Push Ups 3 sets X 15 reps
    Isometric Zottman Curls 3 sets X 8 reps 20lbs DBs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs Dbs to 25lbs Dbs
    Wide DB curls to Narrow DB curls 3 sets X 10 reps 15lbs DBs
    Cool Down

Wednesday 2/7/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Max Power

Thursday 2/8/24 Chest/Back
    Three groups, two exercises each
    Warm up
    Incline Chest Fly – 25lbs Dbs X 8
    Sumo Dead Lift – 185lbs 1 X 4, then 4 reps in a row to finish the 8 total, 195lbs 1 X4, then 4 reps in a row to finish the 8 total, 205lbs 1 X 4, then 4 reps in a row to finish the 8 total *heavy*

Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8, 40lbs Dbs X8, 50lbs Dbs FAILED at 5 reps
    Conventional Dead Lift – 185lbs X 2 sets of 8, 205lbs X 1 set for 7 (no straps)

*killer to end the work out, because hubby missed the majority of the week’s workouts due to work schedule and felt he had to go hard today – I followed, killed me*
    135lbs conventional dead lift deficit X 16reps immediately to bent over rows 45lbs X 16reps immediately to 135lbs sumo deficit dead lift X 16reps
    Repeat twice through, no break during each set
    Cool down

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Hopefully everyone had a lovely Valentine’s Day! My macros were more carb heavy this week and as a result, I was tired and didn’t have much energy so getting the week’s workouts done were tough but I did it! By the middle of this week, I pulled myself together and went back to 48-50% protein, 20% carbs, and then the reminder for fat. I feel so much better when my macros are more protein heavy than carbs - I sleep better, I have more energy, I’m not depressed, I feel great! Does anyone else have macros dictate how they feel for the week?

Sunday 2/11/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    Split squats - 40lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Heel elevated back squats - 155lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Walking lunges - 40lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Front squats - 135lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Hamstring curls - 42.5lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Back squats - 185lbs x 8 reps, 195lbs x 4 reps x 2 sets, 200lbs x 4 reps x 2 sets
    20 rep back squat - 145lbs
    Cool down

Monday 2/12/24 CARDIO
    Insanity

Thursday 2/15/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 30lbs Dbs X 12 reps
    Alternating Bicep Curl 3 sets X 12 reps 20lbs Dbs
    20 rep back squat barbell - 145lbs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs Dbs to 25lbs Dbs
    Cool Down

Friday 2/16/24 Chest/Back
    Three groups, two exercises, 8 reps for 3 sets
    Warm up
    Incline Chest Fly – 25lbs Dbs X 8
    Sumo Dead Lift – 185lbs 1 X 4, then 4 reps in a row to finish the 8 total x 3 sets *heavy today, didn’t increase weight*

Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8 reps x 2 sets, 50lbs Dbs x 8 reps x 1 set
    Conventional Dead Lift – 185lbs X 8 reps x 1 set, 205lbs X 8 reps x 2 sets

135lbs conventional dead lift deficit X 12 reps immediately to bent over rows 45lbs X 8 reps immediately to 135lbs sumo deficit dead lift X 12 reps
    Cool down

Saturday 2/17/24 Cardio
    Insanity

Sunday 2/18/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    Split squats - 40lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Heel elevated back squats - 155lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Walking lunges - 40lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Front squats - 135lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Hamstring curls - 42.5lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets
    Back squats - 185lbs x 8 reps, 200lbs x 4 reps x 2 sets, 200lbs x 6 reps, 2 reps
    20 rep back squat - 155lbs
    Cool down

Macros will be more on point this week - I just feel better when carbs are less so it’s more for a feeling and how I preform day to day not only with workouts but also energy during the work day and ability to sleep well for 7-9 hours.

• earlybirdlady
    Options
    @nicolemaurerdvm I hear you - what/how I eat definitely impacts how I feel and quality of my workouts. I’ve never tracked it back to macros but I’m sure it’s part of it.

Also I want to thank you for inspiring me to do a deload week. I took a little longer due to yet another lovely virus going through the house, but I came back to strength training and destroyed my workouts! I guess I really needed that time!
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    @earlybirdlady - sorry about the virus (hope all are feeling well and have recovered), way to navigate through it all! I’m glad you had a positive experience with deloading. My gains aren’t always huge and I don’t always feel super strong after a deload week, but that week for recovery and growth is so important and in general under utilized! Keep chugging!
  • MindfulMisfitt
    MindfulMisfitt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great post! I love seeing women supporting one another!!

I also have Lupus, a chronic illness, which is another layer of juggling. Autoimmune disease can really do a number on physical health obviously, but it can be a real mental struggle also. I consider myself to be a pretty disciplined person, and I really LOVE working out. I like strving towards fitness goals, and that's all really positive - but when my body doesn't hold up against what I feel i should be capable of it is incredibly frustrating. It makes progress and consistency very difficult at times of flares and when symptoms are triggered.

Keep on kicking *kitten*, ladies! You've got this. NEVER GIVE UP! You are worth it!!!
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 2/19/24 CARDIO
    Insanity

Tuesday 2/20/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    20 rep back squat barbell - 155lbs
    Cool Down

Wednesday 2/21/24 Cardio
    Insanity

Thursday 2/22/24 Chest/Back
    Warm up
    Incline Chest Fly – 25lbs Dbs X 8 x 1, 30lbs DBs x 8 x 2
    Sumo Dead Lift – 135lbs PAUSE x 8,
    185lbs x 8, 205lbs x 8

Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8 reps x 1 set, 50lbs Dbs x 8 reps x 2 sets
    Conventional Dead Lift – 135lbs PAUSE x 8, 185lbs X 8 reps x 1 set, 205lbs X 8 reps x 1 set

135lbs conventional dead lift deficit X 14 reps immediately to bent over rows 45lbs X 10 reps immediately to 135lbs sumo deficit dead lift X 14 reps
    Cool down

WHACK! Friday afternoon got punched in the face with a cold (I’m sure some virus of some type) and I’m out for the count. To make matters worse, I hurt my LEFT hamstring on chest/back day - probably because I was starting to get sick and under the weather and just wanted to get done to get done. Awesome job Nicole, not really. So, keeping my hydration up, keeping my nutrition up, and making sure I get good quality rest with also rehabbing my proximal hamstring tendon injury. I wasn’t planning on doing a deload week only three weeks from my last deload. So instead, this week will be doing what I can - may focus more on light weights (I mean really light weights) and cardio. If my lungs can handle it. Or nothing…it will depend upon how I feel. Getting sick sucks - and I know, taking a week to heal is much better than pushing through and then hurting myself more or getting more sick and then out for weeks but it’s frustrating…massively. So for those who are under the weather or dealing with an injury … I’m right there with you and it absolutely sucks. Hang in there.
    #MindfulMisfitt - I won’t pretend to know how you feel with an autoimmune disease while trying to work out … like you said, never give up!

• nordi
    nordi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi N! Psyched to find your thread. Relatively new to MFP but not new to strength training. I'm a 54 yo momma of 3 boys, work f/time and strive to make my fitness/health a priority! I'm still on the perimenopause train close to menopause - and what they say about menopause is no joke, along with the unwanted weight gain.

My goals for this month:

10k to 15k steps daily
    4 x strength training (and man do I love that you share your workouts, as I'll be joining you)
    2 x cardio/HIIT
    Dialed in on my macro counts :smile:
    64-96 oz of water / day

Recent success, down 21 pounds (thanks to proper nutrition and macro counting) - am now at 168 (have not seen the 160's in a while, due to injury and a recent breast reduction surgery). But now living my best life and know that it can only get better from here! My goal is really longevity - healthy bone mass, flexibility and feeling strong and beautiful in this house (body) of mine!

Cheers, C.
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Great posts to all the ladies out there making it happen no matter what! Keep on lifting!
    Well this week just didn’t happen. Being sick took everything out of me … I was just able to do the bare minimum (get dressed for the day, work and dog walk). So, I took off an entire week of working out and my diet was absolutely trash as well. I attempted to start to rehab my hamstring with NSAIDs, ice and banded hip raises, rear leg lifts and Romanian deal lifts however as the week went on, I felt worse all over including my hamstring. So for two days I did no rehab. Diet got back on track yesterday with my macros and today did a work out. Work out didn’t feel awesome for so many reasons (taxing and exhaustive even with major adjustments to weights) but I survived it! Here’s to this week being better everyone and welcome to spring!
    Sunday 3/3/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    Heel elevated squats - 135lbs
    Split Squats - 30lbs DBs
    Back squats - 135lbs
    Walking Lunges - 30lbs DBs
    Front squats - 115lbs
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs
    Finisher
    20 rep squats 115lbs
    20 Nordic curls body weight
    4 x 1 min suitcase carries of 50lb DB
    Cool Down
    PT with a physical therapist starts this week for me for my hamstring. I will struggle with this - I’m not one for “resting” nor “decreasing weights” but I will have to constantly remind myself of this is temporary for permanently being strong :-) easier said than done. Anyone else not handle injuries well or the impending set back that inevitably comes with it - and how do you handle it?
  • earlybirdlady
    Options
    @nicolemaurerdvm I’m right there with you. Once one thing is off track everything goes off track. It has actually got me thinking I need more stress management routines than just working out because for so long working out was all I had time for (and even that was a stretch some days!). I think getting off track is inevitable, you’re getting back and that’s what’s important. And I agree- temporary rehab for permanently being strong. Good luck with PT!
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Ugh stress can be the silent killer! I find a good work out can help alleviate my stress but also sometimes add to it if it’s not going as planned. So then I fall back to a good walk with the dog (cause every day is a good day when you’re a dog!) and a good song that I can just dance it out to! Totally channeling Grey’s Anatomy with the “dance it out” but it works for me!
    Monday 3/4/24 CARDIO
    Insanity

Tuesday 3/5/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    20 rep back squat barbell - 115lbs
    Isometric Zottman Curls 2.5 sets X 8 reps 20lbs DBs, 4reps at 15lbs DBs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs Dbs to 25lbs Dbs x 2 sets, 20lbs x 1 set
    Bear pull throughs with 15lb KB x 30secs x 4
    Cool Down

Wednesday 3/6/24 Cardio
    Insanity
    Around the world on knees with 15lb KB x 1 min x 4

Thursday 3/7/24 Chest/Back
    Warm up
    *skipped routine deadlifts today*
    Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8 reps x 3 sets
    Nordic Curls x 5 reps x 4
    Mix Grip Marches 1 min x 4 (with 20lbs and 35lbs)
    Banded glute pull throughs x 15 reps x 3 sets
    Cool down

Sunday 3/10/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    *really focused on squeezing and engaging my glutes this entire work out*
    Heel elevated squats - 135lbs, 140lbs, 145lbs
    Split Squats - 30lbs DBs, 35lbs, 40lbs
    Back squats - 135lbs, 155lbs, 155lbs
    Walking Lunges - 30lbs DBs, 35lbs, 40lbs
    Front squats - 115lbs, 125lbs, 135lbs
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs, 40lbs, 42.5lbs
    20 rep squats 135lbs
    Nordic curls x 5 reps x 4
    Cool Down

PT this week is focused on hip mobility and engaging the glutes/hamstrings. Some of the exercises that I add in extra to help strengthen that proximal hamstring tendon - Banded single leg bridges with a hold, single leg Romanian deadlifts with a 15lb KB. I don’t know about you ladies but I find that warming up and cooling down is essential for me - sometimes the warm up actually takes longer than the workout. I’m 34 years old, I haven’t always been like this but since lifting heavy, I find it necessary. And definitely since post injury, a requirement. Taking the time out for an effective warm up, appropriate cool down, and my PT work, is sure difficult. With the time change going into this week, I hope to be able to still do it all!

PT says to do whatever feels good - if there is more pain after the workout then before, make modifications. So this week felt awesome until Sunday, of course made modifications with exercises and weights). Friday I only had time for one round of PT and then I went back to 2 rounds on Saturday. Not sure if Sunday was difficult due to that or if it’s just been accumulating all week and has now caught up, unsure. Also, there may be a mental block already on deadlifts … meaning I’m expecting pain so I’m avoiding them … we’ll see how the next few weeks go.

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 3/11/24 CARDIO
    Insanity

Tuesday 3/12/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs Dbs to 25lbs Dbs x 2 sets, 20lbs x 1 set
    Bear pull throughs with 20 KB x 30secs x 4
    Cool Down

Wednesday 3/13/24 Cardio
    Insanity

Friday 3/15/24 Chest/Back
    Warm up
    *skipped routine deadlifts today*
    Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8 x 1, 95lb bar x 8 x 2
    Mix Grip Marches 1 min x 4 (with 20lbs and 35lbs)
    Face pulls 35lbs x 8 x 3
    4 chin ups
    Marched grip march x 1 min x 4 w/ 25lb DB and 50lb DB
    Cool down

Sunday 3/17/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    Heel elevated squats - 135lbs x 8 x 1, 145lbs x 8 x 2
    Split Squats - 35lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 40lbs x 8 x 2
    Back squats - 135lbs x 8 x 1, 155lbs x 8 x 1, 175lbs x 8 x 1, 185lbs x 8 x 1, 205 x 6 and then 2 for a total of 8 reps
    Walking Lunges - 35lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 40lbs x 8 x 2
    Front squats - 125lbs x 8 x 1, 135lbs x 8 x 2
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs x 8 x 1, 42.5lbs x 8 x 2
    20 rep squats 135lbs
    Nordic curls x 5 reps x 4
    1 pull up
    Cool Down

Hamstring feels good this week - continuing PT and engaging my glutes!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I literally just started at the gym 3 weeks ago and I only use machines (I'm not ready for free weights).

I literally go to the gym 3 days a week and pick 4 machines that let me hit back, shoulders, bis and tris, and chest, then I do adductor, abductor, leg press and if I'm feeling froggy, leg extension (I feel like the leg press hits my hamstrings harder than my quads). I also hit two machines for abs. Usually a crunch type and a twist type. This takes me about 75 minutes. I set the weight to where when I hit 8-10 reps, the last ones are a struggle and I do 3 sets on each machine with a minute between sets.

I am aware that this is probably all wrong but it's working for me and I can feel it in my muscles.
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Free weights can be fun and challenging! Lots more you can do with free weights!

Monday 3/18/24 CARDIO
    Insanity

Tuesday 3/19/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Bear pull throughs with 20 KB x 40 secs x 4
    Cool Down

Wednesday 3/20/24 Cardio
    Insanity

Saturday 3/23/24 Chest/Back
    Warm Up
    Incline Chest Fly – 30lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Chest Press – 40lbs Dbs X 8 x 3
    Mix Grip Marches 1 min x 4 (with 25lbs and 50lbs)
    Seated rows 35lbs x 8 x 3
    Bent over rows 45lbs x 8 x 3
    2 chin ups 2 pull ups
    Conventional DLs 135lbs x 8 x 3
    Sumo DLs 135lbs x 8 x 3
    Have a serious mental concern with dead lifts for fear of hurting hamstring … will definitely have to over come mental fear slowly moving forward!
    Cool down

Sunday 3/24/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    Pyramid up and down for back squats -
    Back squats - 135lbs x 12 x 1, 155lbs x 10 x 1, 175lbs x 8 x 1, 195lbs x 6 x 1, 205 x 4 x 1, 215 x 2 x 1 and then back up starting with 215 x 2 x 1 til 135lbs x 12 x 1
    Pyramid down for weight for the remainder 4 exercises
    Heel elevated squats - 135lbs x 8 x 1, 115lbs x 8 x 1, 95lbs x 8 x 1
    Split Squats - 40lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 35lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 30lbs DBs x 8 x 1
    Walking Lunges - 40lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 35lbs DBs x 8 x 1, 30lbs DBs x 8 x 1
    Front squats - 135lbs x 8 x 1, 115lbs x 8 x 1, 95lbs x 8 x 1
    Hamstring curls - 42.5lbs x 8 x 3
    Cool Down

PT continues - felt great this week into the end of the week where I did more sitting than standing and that caused a dull pain deep to my LEFT glute - less sitting this upcoming week!

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    This was a rough week. Didn’t make all my workouts, PT for my hamstring was difficult, macros off majorly…just spiraled out this week. Looking forward to this upcoming week to be better.

Wednesday 3/27/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Isometric Zottman Curls 1 set X 8 reps 20lbs DBs, 1 set x 8 reps at 15lbs DBs
    4 chin ups - 3 with assistance
    Cool Down

Saturday 3/30/24 Chest/Back
    Warm Up
    Pull ups assisted 8 x 3
    Cool down

Sunday 3/31/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    Back Squats 185lbs x 8 x 1, 205lbs x 8 x 2
    Heel elevated squats - 145lbs x 8 x 3
    Split Squats - 40lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Walking Lunges - 40lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Front squats - 135lbs x 8 x 3
    Hamstring curls - 42.5lbs x 8 x 3
    Cool Down

Here’s to a better week … of letting go of the past and looking toward the future!

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 4/1/24 cardio
    Insanity Friday fight round 2
    *this is my worst one so will be tackling it soon*

Tuesday 4/2/24 Bis, Tris and more squats
    Warm up
    Wide DB curls to Narrow DB curls 3 sets X 10 reps 20lbs SBs
    Cool Down

Wednesday 4/3/24 cardio
    Insanity Friday fight round 2

Thursday 4/4/24 Chest/Back
    Warm Up
    Pull ups assisted 8 x 3
    Cool down

Deload week - same sets lower weights
    Sunday 4/7/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    3 sets, 8 reps each
    Back Squats 135lbs x 8 x 3
    Split Squats - 20lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Walking Lunges - 20lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Step Ups - 20lbs DBs x 8 x 3
    Hamstring curls - 25lbs x 8 x 3
    Nordic curls BW x 5 x 4
    Suitcase carry 50lbs x 1 min x 4
    Reverse Hyper BW x 7 x 4
    Cool down

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Okay deload week done … sore with deload week but it felt great! Have a very long work week and a lot of commitments outside of work this week - it’ll be tough but I plan to stick to my macros and may have to adjust my workouts … quick and effective ones instead of longer heavy lifting ones (I struggle with this as I don’t want to lose ground but it’ll be okay)! Hope everyone out there is doing their best!