Success is Discipline

Options
HeshamEmara
HeshamEmara Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2023 in Getting Started
Discipline is the wiseest advice for success.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't really agree. I find creating good habits is longer lasting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Sure, that's one way. Works great for some people.

As a hedonistic aging hippie type, I don't enjoy discipline and am bad at it, so I avoid relying on it when possible.

New, relative pleasant habits - better habits with better outcomes - worked for me to reach a healthy weight and be fitter than average for my demographic (F, 67).

I found the habits by researching/thinking, experimenting, then practicing the successful tactics until they became habitual/automatic.

Fortunately, it required relatively little discipline, or I would've failed.

Best wishes for success though whatever route works for you!
  • HeshamEmara
    Options

Thanks for your comment :smile:
    Anyway surely there should be discipline to convert it from a NEW habit to a GOOD habit.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Anyway surely there should be discipline to convert it from a NEW habit to a GOOD habit.

Could be.... But it's just easier to habit things. Think--do you use discipline to brush your teeth? Take a shower" Do the laundry?

Sorry, but so many people come on here asking for motivation (from others), or how to stay disciplined. They don't last long. That's why most of us that have been around awhile (10 years for me) tell them to change mindset and think of excercise and eating correct portions as a habit. It'll carry them through the highs and lows. Now, as Ann said above, if discipline works for you then wishing you all the best. We want people to succeed on MFP.
  • HeshamEmara
    Options

Could be.... But it's just easier to habit things. Think--do you use discipline to brush your teeth? Take a shower" Do the laundry?

Sorry, but so many people come on here asking for motivation (from others), or how to stay disciplined. They don't last long. That's why most of us that have been around awhile (10 years for me) tell them to change mindset and think of excercise and eating correct portions as a habit. It'll carry them through the highs and lows. Now, as Ann said above, if discipline works for you then wishing you all the best. We want people to succeed on MFP.

Brushing my teeth started as a discipline when I was young.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just semantics, but to me "discipline" seems to imply that something is difficult to some extent.

If something isn't difficult, reminders, persistent repetition, and that sort of thing will work fine.

I'm with Snowflake. Way too many people show up here looking for motivation, discipline, will power, and that sort of thing - often wanting other people to give it to them, which IMO is seriously not probable. Usually those people think they need to do extreme, unpleasant things to lose weight or get fit. IMO, misery is optional.

Also, discipline, motivation or willpower are not realistically going to be available forever for any particular thing, because other parts of life get demanding. To me, minimizing the need for those things is a smart strategy. Sure, some habits are easier to change than others. A person might need to give herself a little self-talk at first to make even a pleasant change, because change can be a mild challenge even when it's good change.

If a new habit takes any of discipline, willpower, motivation (or the like) permanently, that IMO is a habit that's not going to last. I want to be at a healthy weight and reasonably fit for the rest of my life, ideally.

So, "discipline is the wisest advice for success"? If it's how you succeed, that's great, sincerely. I'm not even really arguing that you shouldn't say it to others.

But I'm not saying that to other people here as what I consider my personal wisest advice based on my own experience, so that's why I posted what I posted.
  • snowflake954
    Options

Brushing my teeth started as a discipline when I was young.

But is it still?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’m going to hazard a guess that English is not the first language, and that you learned the old-school, dictionary definition of discipline.

I think everyone here is saying the same thing.

In any event, whatever works for you, as long as it works, no complaints here!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Discipline is the wiseest advice for success.

It's helpful for sure. If we have the ability (discipline in this context) to control our behavior in a way that leads to be more productive and create better habits, that can only be a positive thing.