Weight Loss on Seroquel

Options
Those of you on Seroquel, what was your weight loss strategy? Seroquel seems to cause problems with weight loss with both excessive hunger and sluggish metabolism. What’s your weight loss approach with this and similar drugs? I combine running/walking with weight training and very aggressive calorie deprivation as well as Ketogenic diet. I’ve lost 40 pounds or so but I hit massive plateaus. I have a history of low testosterone (I’m a guy) that needed drug therapy. I believe Seroquel and other drugs like Trazodone contributed to this. It’s definitely been an uphill battle. I’m currently at 18% body fat and hopefully headed to down to 10%.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Because you mention both losing 40 pounds and massive plateaus, I wonder if the problem lies with your expectations. Perhaps try a slow and steady approach.

Use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

My brother takes meds in the Seroquel class and manages its appetite-increasing side effects with lots of exercise and foods he finds satiating, for him basically a Mediterranean diet. If you are happy with keto, great. Just don't create a situation in which you are so rigidly controlled that you then fall off the wagon hard and undo all your work :flowerforyou:
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear about the weight problem on Seroquel. Depends on the purpose of the medication. If you’re looking for a weight neutral antipsychotic substitute for Seroquel, I’m on Geodon and it’s working well for me. Risperidol is a well known weight gainer. I’m of course not a medical professional. Just speaking from personal experience.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Laudable is also a weight neutral drug in this class of drugs. I have been on it several years and have lost 25 pounds
  • Janellew86
    Janellew86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on haloperidol(haldol)injections trying to lose weight.