Cranberries and traditional Thanksgiving.

Options
Although we are neither diabetic nor pre diabetic, we’ve watched our added sugar. I really like cranberries. This year as an experiment this year I strew raw cranberries in my dressing, mirepoix and a steamed green bean salad. It worked. The other food present dampens the sourness of the cranberry. We can eat our favorites without a calorie disaster.
My other idea, still in planning stage, is to lacto ferment cranberries in a kombucha.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I watch added sugar too. With baked goods desserts, I can usually reduce the sugar by 1/3 - 1/2. For the Joy of Cooking's fresh cranberry orange relish, I reduce the sugar by half and have small amounts.

This made me think of when I used to cook for my neighbor and his daughters...if I didn't keep an eye on the youngest one, she'd eat half a can of cranberry sauce with dinner :lol:

I'd put cranberries in savory dishes too, but my partner doesn't like tart, so that's a non-starter.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Love cranberries in salad. Love green beans. Green beans and cranberries sounds great!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Your salad sound excellent: Good idea!

MFP boosted a recipe a while back for a salad of cooked frozen edamame (just the beans, not the pods), feta cheese, and dried cranberries. The dried berries are a little sweetened, so maybe that's too much sugar in your view. It was tasty, had some protein, and I found it reasonably calorie efficient for as filling as it was. Maybe that's not your thing, though, because of the sugar.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/edamame-cranberry-salad/

(I neither eat much added sugar, nor worry about how much sugar I do eat.)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    One of my absolute favorite salads is arugula, roasted beets, toasted walnuts, chèvre, dried cranberries, and balsamic vinaigrette.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    I made my own cranberry sauce with raw cranberries and monk fruit. Turned out surprisingly good