December Goal Weight: 192
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 170

December 1: 200.2
    December 8: 198.4
    December 15:
    December 22:
    December 29:
    December 31:

This week was mostly good. I was able to be dedicated early in the week. That proved VERY important when later in the week included a dinner (and drinks) out with colleagues for the holidays. We all gotta live too, right?

ONEderland!!!!
  • LuckiS32
    LuckiS32 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Total loss for December: Down for the day, but no change for the week. The average is higher because of two specific days this week when my mass was quite a lot higher. I fluctuate maybe more than most. I was up 4.2 pounds from one day to the next this week. Then down. Then up. Then down for a couple. Onward!

I feel this soooo much. I fluctuate so hard day to day!
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Starting with this week, I’ll consider only the week average weight together with the calorie deficit of the previous week (it’s from my Fitbit, so no precise at all – it really overestimates burnt calories – but it’s useful to me to have a comparison of weeks: if with the deficit of the previous week I lost too much, it’s clear I will have to eat more – or move less, but that’s not an option, I enjoy too much my walks to reduce them!).
    So:

* (November 20-26: average day deficit: 679 cals.)
    Kilos from 55.8 to 55.1

* (November 27-dec 3: average day deficit: 697 cals).
    Kilos from 55.1 to 54.7

Okay, week still losing but less, more reasonable pace. I’m experimenting with some ideas, so let’s see.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,327 Member
    Options
    Sett2023 wrote: »
    Starting with this week, I’ll consider only the week average weight together with the calorie deficit of the previous week (it’s from my Fitbit, so no precise at all – it really overestimates burnt calories – but it’s useful to me to have a comparison of weeks: if with the deficit of the previous week I lost too much, it’s clear I will have to eat more – or move less, but that’s not an option, I enjoy too much my walks to reduce them!).
    So:

* (November 20-26: average day deficit: 679 cals.)
    Kilos from 55.8 to 55.1

* (November 27-dec 3: average day deficit: 697 cals).
    Kilos from 55.1 to 54.7

Okay, week still losing but less, more reasonable pace. I’m experimenting with some ideas, so let’s see.

If your logging is spot-on, your fitbit device seems to be providing data that is backed up by your change in mass. For 20-26 November, your deficit was 4753. You would have expected to lose about 1.4 pounds or about 0.6 Kg. You lost 0.7 Kg. Pretty close. For 27 November to 3 December, your deficit was 4879. You would have expected to lose another 1.4 pounds or about 0.6 Kg. You lost 0.4 Kg. Combined, your total deficit across two weeks would be just over 9600 calories. This would have been an expected loss of 2.75 pounds or 1.25 Kg. You lost 1.1.

That's about a 10% difference between expected and actual weight lost. If you keep tracking this and have similar results over time, you can add in a 10% correction factor. The calorie goal you have for yourself may be lower than it needs to be to meet your goals. Your body may just "burn a little hotter." The calorie estimates from MFP or any other source are based on population averages. Those averages contain data from people who use more and people who use fewer calories than average.

Do keep tracking this. It will for sure help you when you start to set maintenance goals that will keep you from gaining or losing more than a small range around your maintenance goal. Pro tip - you will still fluctuate, and that's OK. You'll just have to figure out how big of a range you're comfortable with.
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Sett2023 wrote: »
    The calorie goal you have for yourself may be lower than it needs to be to meet your goals. Your body may just "burn a little hotter." The calorie estimates from MFP or any other source are based on population averages. Those averages contain data from people who use more and people who use fewer calories than average.

Do keep tracking this. It will for sure help you when you start to set maintenance goals that will keep you from gaining or losing more than a small range around your maintenance goal. Pro tip - you will still fluctuate, and that's OK. You'll just have to figure out how big of a range you're comfortable with.

Yes, you're absolutely right!

To be precise, I think I understood this: I'm a very "active" person in general [I mean, my job is absolutely sedentary (desk), but in my other hours even if I don't do any exercise apart from purposely walking (that I register and eat back), I rarely stay... don't know how to say it... twiddling my thumbs? No big things, but pretty always in movement]. So, having settled MFP as "sedentary", even if I have a goal of only 0.25 to lose, it gives me only 1200 + exercise, but in fact I'm always in a biggest deficit than estimated.

In conclusion, I was thinking to:
    * go on in this same way for the time necessary to lose about other 2.5/3 kilos (so to reach about 52)
    * then, set MFP on the upper step (lightly active, if I remember well), and see how it goes. If the weigh creeps up, I'll cut a little; if it stays there, okay.

For maintenance, I already thought that it will be okay 2 or even 3 kilos of "fluctuation": 50-52/3.
    (For instance, I know that in summer I always weigh more, because when it's hot I become more lazy both in walking and in healthy cooking/eating, but I know it, no freak out :smile: The important is to stop/retune if I see 53)
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,949 Member
    Options
    weight.png

My name is Donna. I am 63 years old and I live in the Midwest of the US. I am 5’ 5” tall. My highest weight was 253 back in 2016. My MFP start weight was 235 in 2018.

Start Weight (from Nov 30, 2023 ): 181.4
    Goal Weight: 177.4 (4 pound loss)

End of Challenge Weight: xxxxx
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 145-155 (I’ll know it when I get there!)

Weight in blue makes me blue because it’s a gain. Weight in fuchsia pink makes me feel cheery because it’s a loss. Weight in black means no change.

12/01-181.4-(Trend Weight: 189.1)-

12/03-182.0-(Trend Weight: 181.9)- I had a wonderful time at the birthday party. I hadn’t bowled in years. It’s always nice to have all the grandchildren together. Lunch was pizza, cake and ice cream. Dinner was at home, late but reasonable. I found out (when I got back in town) that my dear older friend (78) fell during her family Christmas party and broke her hip. She was rushed to the hospital and will have an upcoming surgery. I find out more about that later. She sounded okay and in good spirits (but pain) on the phone so I’m hoping for the best. Let’s stay as healthy as we can, my friends. Our bodies are going to need us!

12/10-179.6-(Trend Weight: 180.7)- I’ve been sticking to my diet plan pretty good but I’ve been incredibly sick (non-covid). I just can’t shake it and have to wonder if I haven’t had pneumonia. I live so far from a hospital or anywhere that would have an x-ray machine and I just haven’t felt like traveling. My appetite has been just fine so the struggle continues, but my exercise has been practically non-existent since any exertion makes it hard to breathe. With that said, I’m happy with my progress over the past week. I was worried what would happen when I couldn’t “burn it off”. Luckily, I’m not baking for the holidays yet since I’m too germy. Once I start that, all bets may be off. I feel pretty strong in my resolve most of the time, but put me near a bag of sugar and I morph into something I’m rarely proud of. Let’s hope this year will be different. But honestly, I just don’t see myself EVER thinking homemade fudge is no big deal or that freshly baked cookies are not that tempting. Oh, I have so many changes that I need to make!

12/17-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-
    12/24-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-
    12/31-xxxxx-(Trend Weight: xxxxx)-

Every healthy habit brings me closer to scratching each of these off to NEVER see them again!
    250’s; 240’s; 230’s; 220's; 210's; 200's; 190's; 180’s; 170's; 160's; 150's
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,949 Member
    Options
    @dlhollin1 Your birthday? If so, I hope you had a wonderful day.

th?id=OIP.NYzlO06iQ12tkfFRQFhIRAHaFn&pid=Api&P=0&h=320
  • ladycopnh1
    ladycopnh1 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am scared of falling off the wagon AGAIN.
    I started my weight loss trip on January 3rd, 2023 at 260pds and have lost 68pds, BUT...
    the holidays are winning. So far I have gained 9pds. I am looking for encouragement and a good challenge. I just came back to MFP tonight so I'm a late comer. I have weigh in on Tuesdays.

December Start Weight: 183
    December Goal Weight: 174
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 140

December 5: ***
    December 12: ***
    December 19:
    December 26:
    January: 2: