Big Vacation coming up. EEEK!!!

Options
sharon81
sharon81 Posts: 67 Member
edited December 2023 in Motivation and Support
So, our family has decided to go on a Christmas vacation this year to Texas and Mississippi. (from Michigan's upper peninsula) We're driving, which means lots of stops along the way for meal breaks. My family is NOT down for packing food to eat along the way as the food is part of the experience. It's not that they are not supportive and I am not upset that this is not ideal for them. Just hoping to stay as close to my calorie goal as possible during this 2 week........ vacation.... Ugh, why does food have to be the center of everything. I am 75-80% capable of my calorie goal when I am alone on my own being a hermit.... SIGH... Ok, sob story over!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    What kinds of places does your family like to eat? Fast food, sit down, diner-type, upscale, ethnic, . . . ?

There may be some ways to cope and even enjoy, but it would help to know what the general routine is, food-wise.

BTW, it's nice to see a yooper here: I'm a troll, middle of the mitten palm. ;)

Overall, though, a couple of weeks doesn't have to be disaster dietarily, even if you indulge a bit. It's two weeks out of 52. The other 50 matter more.

I hope you have a great time!
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 211 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I also went on vacation for two weeks recently and mostly ate out or what others cooked; I actually brought my lightweight kitchen scale and did a grocery run, but never used the scale or ate what I bought. I tried to eat in moderation and, to my astonishment, did not gain weight.

Expect to encounter a lot of delicious barbecue if you’re eating out a lot. My own biggest downfalls in those parts of the US are BBQ, fried chicken, biscuits, and banana pudding. Yum. Try to plan ahead for what you’ll order. And also, I see no reason why you can’t bring along some foods you’d like to have, even if the rest of your family doesn’t want to.

Love the UP! (Former Wisconsinite here.) Hope you have a great trip.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    It's only two weeks. It isn't as if you will gain major weight during that time and odds are the weight you might gain will fall off fairly fast once you are back on track - even if you have have to throw one or two aggressive fasting days in the post-vacay mix. That said, eschewing any mindless high calorie offerings (road car snacks and sugary sodas) is a no brainer. But I would definitely partake of local restaurant offerings and just enjoy. :)
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    Options
    Depending on how far south you're going, bring shorts, sandals. Eat ice cream (just a little) have fun!
  • sharon81
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I needed it! ☺
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    sharon81 wrote: »

If you feel up to it, let us know how it goes, and how things look as time goes on after the holidays? I always wonder how thing turn out, when someone asks a question like this. :)

I'm betting it'll all wash out OK. :flowerforyou:
  • sharon81
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sharon81 wrote: »

If you feel up to it, let us know how it goes, and how things look as time goes on after the holidays? I always wonder how thing turn out, when someone asks a question like this. :)

I'm betting it'll all wash out OK. :flowerforyou:

I'll be sure to update with all the gritty details. LOL :D
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    If I decided to bring my own food and a family member had a problem with that, I would tell them to pound salt! :)
  • sharon81
    Options
    Well…. I’m up 3lbs from vacation and 6 overall, time to hunker down and start losing again… overall I’m no too disappointed and know that as I begin to eat right again it’ll fall right back off.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    Options
    I hope your vacation was a happy one!