Low calorie protien

Options
I am always short protein. Any ideas for "stand alone" protien?

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and tilapia.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I am always short protein. Any ideas for "stand alone" protien?

Beans, eggs, Greek yogurt, Lentils, Chicken, Turkey, Tofu, milk, broccoli, Cottage Cheese w/peaches. nuts, oatmeal, peanut butter, peas, nutritional yeast---
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Have you read this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I found it very helpful. The linked spreadsheet lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories.

On top of that, review your food diary. Look for things that have relatively many calories, but not much protein. Are those things you could reduce (frequency or portion size) or eliminate to free up some calories? If so, replace the calories with something you enjoy eating that has a bit more protein.

You can find grains, breads, pastas, veggies, snacks, even some fruits that have at least a bit of protein. Those would be candidates to fill in some of those freed-up calories. (The spreadsheet I mentioned will help you find foods to try.)

If you chip away at that, reviewing your diary, increasing protein bit by bit in your routine eating habits, good odds you'll gradually dial in your desired protein level.

Personally, I've been able to meet/exceed my protein goal eating foods I like, using that approach. However, IMO there's nothing wrong with using protein supplements (like protein powder or bars, etc.) to get some extra protein, whether as an aid while aiming at higher protein intake from food, or long term.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Too many things people think are good sources are not calorie friendly. Peanut butter, etc.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Too many things people think are good sources are not calorie friendly. Peanut butter, etc.

2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter is 188 calories, 1.8 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 tablespoons is quite a bit.

Add it to wheat toast, high protein toast, or crackers. You can have a sandwich or several PB crackers for less than 300 calories. PB also makes me feel full.

If you only use 1 table spoon, you can drop the calories half. With wheat toast (1 slice) with PB (1 Table spoon), only about150 calories. 3.5 protein for 1TBSP of PB. 4.6 protein for wheat toast ( 1 slice). So 9 grams of protein for 150 calories.

It's doable.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,397 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    loulee997 wrote: »

2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter is 188 calories, 1.8 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 tablespoons is quite a bit.

Add it to wheat toast, high protein toast, or crackers. You can have a sandwich or several PB crackers for less than 300 calories. PB also makes me feel full.

If you only use 1 table spoon, you can drop the calories half. With wheat toast (1 slice) with PB (1 Table spoon), only about150 calories. 3.5 protein for 1TBSP of PB. 4.6 protein for wheat toast ( 1 slice). So 9 grams of protein for 150 calories.

It's doable.

But not the most calorie efficient.
    For around the same amount of calories, I can have two portions (290gr) of skyr yogurt, totaling 27gr of protein. (And personal bonus, also way more filling to me)

I have nothing against peanut butter per se, but when calories are fairly limited I personally think there are better options.

Plus peanut butter has the grossest smell in the universe 🤢
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that Muscle Milk, with 50 g of protein for 300 calories, is a good solution for me.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use pea protein isolate, canned tuna, 96% lean beef, and grilled chicken breast. My fiancee cooks me protein in great bulk for the week so I just heat some up (or eat it cold if on the road) anytime I need a protein snack.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to meet my protein goal without supplements most days. I like Isopure protein. My favorite is unflavored whey protein isolate (minimal additives) and I make a simple smoothie with it sometimes just banana and cacao powder. It’s 25g protein for 100 cal. I also like the chocolate flavor, I mix it in with Greek yogurt and get a good 40g of protein.

It’s a bit more costly than some other powders out there, but I find it to be worth it for me because it’s hard to get a substantial breakfast when running out to work most mornings.

https://www.theisopurecompany.com/en-us/Products/Powder/ISOPURE®-ZERO-CARB-PROTEIN-UNFLAVORED/p/C101302