How to tone?

Options
How can I tone up without lifting? I physically can not lift.

I bloody need to tone.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I bloody need to tone.

"tone" comes from shedding fat from muscle mass you already have and are maintaining through some sort of strength program.

What about body weight exercises?

Also, With your profile closed, we have no idea where you are at from a fitness/weight loss perspective.
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    squats, lunges, pushups, tricep dips.. these are all great ways to tone just using your body weight as resistance.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I bloody need to tone.

why cant you lift?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Lose body fat and do body weight exercises. ("Toning" is losing the fat that covers the muscles. Eat at a deficit to lose the fat; lift..or body weight, or some sort of strength training to make the muscles look better when they are unveiled)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I bloody need to tone.

why cant you lift?

And when you say you can't lift, what do you mean?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Dont bother with electrical stimulation ---

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Effects of Electrical Muscle Stimulation on Body Composition, Muscle Strength.pdf

What can you do in terms of body weight exercises, yoga or strength training?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

I bloody need to tone.

why cant you lift?

And when you say you can't lift, what do you mean?

It means I can not lift. Anything more than 5kg & I'll hurt myself.
  • mrsohlson
    mrsohlson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try yoga! It has smoothed out my body while also doing cardio three times a week. Start with an easy 15 minute routine and work your way up.
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like Physique 57. It's a workout that is based on ballet type moves. It used isometric movements with no lifting, but hurts so good! :)
    Found it on Amazon
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Can you not lift because you lack the muscle strength or because you have an injury. You could be lifting with bad form if you are hurting yourself....but if you really want to avoid weights stick with body weight exercises. I youtubed a lot of exercises and went to bodybuilding.com for ideas. Bodyrock.tv has a lot of good body weight exercises and routines you could do at home.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Can you not lift because you lack the muscle strength or because you have an injury. You could be lifting with bad form if you are hurting yourself....but if you really want to avoid weights stick with body weight exercises. I youtubed a lot of exercises and went to bodybuilding.com for ideas. Bodyrock.tv has a lot of good body weight exercises and routines you could do at home.

Yep from injury that will be there for life that was there before losing weight.

I guess it's bodyweight then & hope that it does not do some damage.
  • Jasminna
    Jasminna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There always something you can do.
    I started out just walking and stretching and that really helped my back pain.
    After I conditioned my body I started jogging and I haven't ran ever before this as a workout.
    Recently I started insanity and I love it because I'm seeing results fast, I don't need a babysitter to go to the gym to workout, and there's no equipment needed. It may seem hard at first but with each day you get stronger than the last and you can take breaks as needed. But if that's not for you I can help you find a program that works for you and your goals and to workout in the comfort of your own home, and show you an amazing support team that is loyal to making a change in their bodies and is more than helpful to help you make a change in yours.

I'm on my own fitness journey
    Trying to lose my post prego weight
    But I love fitness and nutrition and I'm here to help
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Toning.. it's one of those words people use and don't know what it means..
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    With an injury, it might be best to talk to a physical therapist. Bodyweight exercises are not equivalent to lifting a less-than-5 lbs weight.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    After I conditioned my body I started jogging and I haven't ran ever before this as a workout.
    Recently I started insanity and I love it because I'm seeing results fast, I don't need a babysitter to go to the gym to workout, and there's no equipment needed. It may seem hard at first but with each day you get stronger than the last and you can take breaks as needed. But if that's not for you I can help you find a program that works for you and your goals and to workout in the comfort of your own home, and show you an amazing support team that is loyal to making a change in their bodies and is more than helpful to help you make a change in yours.

Message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife

Oh I can run easy. I walk a marathon a day. I run 10km easily enough under 50 mins. I even do Zumba. But lifting is a no go. I walk to keep the back pain to a bare minimum so I don't need painkillers as often. I run just cause I love it.

But lifting is strictly forbidden.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife

Oh I can run easy. I walk a marathon a day. I run 10km easily enough under 50 mins. I even do Zumba. But lifting is a no go. I walk to keep the back pain to a bare minimum so I don't need painkillers as often. I run just cause I love it.

Which of these exercises are you allowed to do?

Captain's chair leg lifts?
    Leg press?
    Body weight squats?
    Curls?
    Push-up (any kind)?
    Negative pull-ups or hangs?
    Rows?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife

Leg press?
    Body weight squats?
    Curls?
    Push-up (any kind)?
    Rows?

I'd be able to do anything that does not involve lifting, that may or may not include pullups (but I have no idea with that one & no way to do that anyway where I live)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife

Leg press?
    Body weight squats?
    Curls?
    Push-up (any kind)?
    Rows?

I'd be able to do anything that does not involve lifting, that may or may not include pullups (but I have no idea with that one & no way to do that anyway where I live)

A pull up bar that can be used at home costs about $20 US or if you walk a lot and pass a park there are either monkeybars or tree branches - keep an eye out.

So you can use a rows machine, a curls machine but not do actual rows or curls with weights. If you decide to look at a gym look for one that has machines that will fit your limitations - a lot of exercise machines (which i wouldn't normally recommend because dumbells just require better freedom of motion mechanics) can fit your needs - muscle under tension without lifting weights.

By the way - core strength exercises such as planks, leg extensions, etc will help with strengthening the muscles thhat support your back and help reduce further injury risk.

Good luck.

edit: spelling
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Message me on Facebook
    Facebook.com/revupurlife

Leg press?
    Body weight squats?
    Curls?
    Push-up (any kind)?
    Rows?

A pull up bar that can be used at home costs about $20 US or if you walk a lot and pass a park there are either monkeybars or tree branches - keep an eye out.

So you can use a rows machine, a curls machine but not do actual rows or curls with weights. If you decide to look at a gym look for one that has machines that will fit your limitations - a lot of exercise machines (which i wouldn't normally recommend because dumbells just require better freedom of motion mechanics) can fit your needs - muscle under tension without lifting weights.

By the way - core strength exercises such as planks, leg extensions, etc will help with strengthening the muscles thhat support your back and help reduce further injury risk.

Good luck.

edit: spelling

I was with a gym but never went. Cost me more than it was worth & all I was doing was using the treadmill lol. I do have a Total Flex here at home, and a few billion resistance bands of varying weights. Pullup bar at home would damage the house (it's an old house so we are better off without that) ...the park has poles for a flying fox & swings but they are far 2 high up for me to even to begin to reach lol... but I can jump I guess. I can try, dont know how well I'll do.