How to tone?

Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The Total Flex has progressive bands and can provide sufficient resistance to get a work out. Try it. Having it at home is easy access and you can rejoin the gym when you've reached its limitations and want to move on.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The Total Flex has progressive bands and can provide sufficient resistance to get a work out. Try it. Having it at home is easy access and you can rejoin the gym when you've reached its limitations and want to move on.

Oh no I'm never joining a gym again. I always swore I'd never join one & no idea why I did. I'd lost all my weight without stepping into one. I only joined cause I figured it would be easier to run out of the heat in summer.... I was wrong. It was harder. Treadmills are not for me
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am too harsh.....and I DO understand you have some sort of injury (although you are not very forthcoming with information about that)....but I hear an awful lot of excuses. Are you serious about this? If so then you find a way. Just DO IT!

All right, ready to be attacked now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Well, for me - it's not about weight loss (I'm at an acceptable weight) but about being able to do things, travel on my own and do things that I find challenging - in short, fitness.

The gym is a tool to serve me to refine myself to get to those fitness goals. It isn't an end to itself - although I enjoy it. For some, it is enough and the personal reacords one can acheive there are personal summits.

People use different tools - gym, yoga, body weight, outdoor work ot get to a physical level that meets their needs - much like your "toning" objective.

Just a tool - but a very effective tool. So I am reading what you are writing and its a lot like a conversation one might have about building a house:
    - I need to hammer about 5 thousand nails but I don't want to use a hydraulic hammer gun.
    - OK, well, how about a regular hammer.
    - Nope hate them. Ballpeen? Maybe, I might have one.
    - Sure about that regular hammer?
    - Yep, swore off of them.
    - Welllll....

What does one answer? It's a tool, it's effective. If you want to pound nails with a mallet or skillet, it might work. But it's going to be slow going - and the house you want to build - you might not finish from frustration.

I hope you find the tool that fits your need and that you enjoy it. Setting a barrier of swearing "never to go to a gym" just makes things that much harder for what seems arbitrary reasons to me - I'm sure they make sense to you.

What program are you deciding to use after all of this?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am too harsh.....and I DO understand you have some sort of injury (although you are not very forthcoming with information about that)....but I hear an awful lot of excuses. Are you serious about this? If so then you find a way. Just DO IT!

+1
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

+1
    +2
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Talk to a physical therapist and find out exactly, specifically, what you are not allowed to do and what is OK for you to do.
    Bring a long list of activities and exercises with you and go over them with the PT.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Pilates, especially mat, is practically made for people with back injuries. Before it became a fad, it was the thing that injured dancers did to get back onto the floor. And these days, you can get the whole sequence online. Cheap, easy, do-anywhere strength training. Well, not easy if you work at it.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Well, for me - it's not about weight loss (I'm at an acceptable weight) but about being able to do things, travel on my own and do things that I find challenging - in short, fitness.

The gym is a tool to serve me to refine myself to get to those fitness goals. It isn't an end to itself - although I enjoy it. For some, it is enough and the personal reacords one can acheive there are personal summits.

People use different tools - gym, yoga, body weight, outdoor work ot get to a physical level that meets their needs - much like your "toning" objective.

Just a tool - but a very effective tool. So I am reading what you are writing and its a lot like a conversation one might have about building a house:
    - I need to hammer about 5 thousand nails but I don't want to use a hydraulic hammer gun.
    - Welllll....

What does one answer? It's a tool, it's effective. If you want to pound nails with a mallet or skillet, it might work. But it's going to be slow going - and the house you want to build - you might not finish from frustration.

I hope you find the tool that fits your need and that you enjoy it. Setting a barrier of swearing "never to go to a gym" just makes things that much harder for what seems arbitrary reasons to me - I'm sure they make sense to you.

After all of this I'm going to have no choice but to use my own body weight as my gym. Cheaper as well in the end. I'll continue running & walking & doing all the other stuff I CAN do. Then I'll see if I can somehow workout on the playground opposite my place (if the kids dont kill me 1st...may have to get in early) and then just work something out with the stuff I have here.

Not going back to a gym is not just a personal reason... but a financial one. Unable to work because of my injury it kinda means that I can't afford it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

- Welllll....

After all of this I'm going to have no choice but to use my own body weight as my gym. Cheaper as well in the end. I'll continue running & walking & doing all the other stuff I CAN do. Then I'll see if I can somehow workout on the playground opposite my place (if the kids dont kill me 1st...may have to get in early) and then just work something out with the stuff I have here.

Not going back to a gym is not just a personal reason... but a financial one. Unable to work because of my injury it kinda means that I can't afford it.

In your case then, yeah, bodyweight work is your best bet.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

- Welllll....

In your case then, yeah, bodyweight work is your best bet.

Cool. That's what I'm on a plan to do now. I got so much going on right now it's crazy..... I'm going to have to get an assistant to help me hahaha
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have some real issues. I would check with a physical therapist to see if he/she could help come up with some exercises to increase strength that will not hurt your back. If back pain is a big issue, and it sounds like it is, I wouldnt want to chance it on some of the bodyweight exercises until I checked with a professional.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    It sounds like you have some real issues. I would check with a physical therapist to see if he/she could help come up with some exercises to increase strength that will not hurt your back. If back pain is a big issue, and it sounds like it is, I wouldnt want to chance it on some of the bodyweight exercises until I checked with a professional.

Can't do that now. No way to pay for it, not even getting any medical from 3rd Oct. Cut off completely. Right about now I don't care what happens to my back.... what a day. Find out that "nope sorry we do not class you as injured anymore"