Rude & Negative People Along The Way....

Options
I'm kind of upset by a comment that was made to me yesterday and I don't know where else to let it out, so here I am...

I was eating lunch yesterday at my desk, like I always do. I normally eat a pita with veggies and hummus all wrapped up in it. A co-worker saw me eating a salad with a turkey brat/bun (I'm pretty rigid with my veggies/pita routine so they noticed it was a change.) They said "are you eating a brat?" I said "oh yeah, it's a turkey brat, it's really good". They responded with "Congratulations, you're eating a normal lunch".

First of all, WHO CARES. Second, what's "normal"? Normal to me is food that makes me feel satisfied and full throughout the afternoon. My "normal" is a pita with veggies and humus. This person has no idea how much I eat for breakfast or dinner or snacks.

After this I have just been thinking it over in my head and thinking "I should have said ____" and thinking of all the times over this past summer where I now realize they made comments that were directed at me and/or ways of mocking/poking fun at me.

I know we're all adults here, and this shouldn't bug me as much as it is, but MAN. It really struck a nerve.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I know we're all adults here, and this shouldn't bug me as much as it is, but MAN. It really struck a nerve.

It shouldn't bug you. People say stupid stuff all the time. Sometimes, they don't even know they are doing it.

If they comment on it again, just say "I like my eating habits, they make me feel good. Please don't tease me about them."

I'm guessing that will make the comments stop.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your work relationship is with this person - but i work with a group of people that joke with each other and saying something like that would be just part of a regular day.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree. People are dumb. I eat at my desk most days and eat a huge salad with chicken or something along those lines. Sometimes veggies and fish. Inevitably someone will say something about "trying to make everyone feel bad" because I'm eating healthy. But on the flipside, if I have a day where I eat a burger or something like that (usually leftovers or a kids meal, due to poor planning) its like I am a circus act and everyone has to come see me eating *regular* food.

Do what you want. You know how many calories you are ingesting and how good it is or isn't for you. There is no shortage of stupid people.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    People just don't get it. I've stopped expecting people to understand, and have learned to accept the fact that they are happy in their ignorance. Just "whatever b*tch* and move on.... :glasses:
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if I have a day where I eat a burger or something like that (usually leftovers or a kids meal, due to poor planning) its like I am a circus act and everyone has to come see me eating *regular* food.

YES exactly it was like I was a circus act! In our first meeting of the new academic year this person announced to everyone that I've really taken "a turn down the healthy road" and made some snide remark in front of everyone...so now I feel like I'm really on display with my foods. Irritating as heck.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A veggie & hummus pita sounds normal (and delicious) to me. But...be glad you don't work in my office, we say way worse things to each other on a regular basis. I wouldn't let it bother you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Half the problem with everyone today is that they worry about what others think and say about them. Unless it's directly affecting your income or putting your job in jeopardy because of gossip, **** what everyone else thinks.
    The most successful people in the world wouldn't have been successful if they listened to what negative things others say on a regular basis.
    Get thick skin like a rhino.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    "YES exactly it was like I was a circus act! In our first meeting of the new academic year this person announced to everyone that I've really taken "a turn down the healthy road" and made some snide remark in front of everyone...so now I feel like I'm really on display with my foods. Irritating as heck."

I think their comment is really a reflection of who THAT person is, not you. It shows judgment and a different idea of what "normal" is.

When you make changes in your life, sometimes it shines a big fat mirror onto the lives of other people and reminds THEM that they are not making positive choices. Instead of letting it get under your skin, own it. Say "Yes, I have made a turn down the healthy road, thank you so much for acknowledging it!" and smile. I bet if you did that every time he/she made a comment, he/she would tire of it. They're doing it to try to get to you. Don't give them that sort of power over your day.

Be proud of the fact that you're making a good decision for YOU. This is your journey, go down it as you see fit. Not everyone in your life will be able to go with you - and that's okay. Keep on, keepin' on.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think what they said was rude and negative, but it is strange that people are watching what you eat.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    People suck! Sorry.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Remember that their comment means more about them than it does you.

Your eating healthy reminds them that they should do a better job with their own eating, and that makes them feel criticized - just by doing what works for you. Maybe they have tried to eat better or lose weight in the past and they feel frustrated and a failure. Rather than dwell on their shortcomings, they lash out at you for "making them look bad".

Seeing you eat - and enjoy - non-rabbit food makes them feel even more a failure.

Depending on what you want out of this relationship, you might share how eating this way makes you feel better and has helped you lose weight OR you can just chalk it up to this is a disgruntled frustrated person who won't change.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Things like that used to happen to me quite often when I first started my fitness process.

Try not to absorb it (easier said than done sometimes) so that it doesn't disrupt your progress. :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're HUMAN....if it didn't bug you, well, let's just say that it's normal to feel slighted when you realize you've been poked at unnecessarily and out of sheer mean-ness :ohwell:

That being said, after you feel it a bit, the feeling will run it's course & you'll come to realize people can be *really* sh!tty sometimes. However, it was nothing you did to deserve such treatment, so it *has* to be a personal failing on their part.

If you feel particularly generous, pitying them usually follows :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:

edited for duh grammar
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People like to stick their noses where they don't belong. Just ignore it.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    mmm pita with veggies and humus actually sounds really good, haha thanks for a new lunch idea! ;)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Laugh it off. I think they were trying to make a little joke and you may be reading too much into it.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the comment didn't have anything to do with being healthy or not healthy. I bet the person who said it just doesn't know what hummus is. It sounds like they have a if it's not meat and potatoes, then it isn't "real food" mentality. I would just figure that they are showing their own ignorance and try to ignore them.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I understand.... I have a good friend that really does have a kind heart, but sometimes she says things that really irritate. I've been watching what I eat for two years. However, it's only since I've become skinnier than her that she has been making public comments. If I decide to pass up dessert when I'm at a group function (sometimes it's because I just don't want it not because of the calories), she says out loud to everyone, "She has to watch her calories so that's why she isn't eating it." I WANT to say, "actually I'm not watching my calories tonight, but maybe you should." Instead I just smile. The reason I let those comments irritate me is because it makes me feel like I'm still the "fat friend" instead of the "fit friend." I'm sure I say things that are hurtful or irritating all the time without realizing it (just ask my teenage daughter).
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The sooner you stop caring about what other people think (or even have the nerve to say) the happier you'll be!

I'll occasionally get blindsided by an incorrect and critical comment, feel hurt and then think, "Wait...why are you giving that person the power to make you feel this way? You know you, you know the truth..."

That is all that matters. That and all the supportive people who validate your dedication and progress!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Grow. Some.Skin.