Rude & Negative People Along The Way....

Options

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    WTF is a brat?
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    mmm pita with veggies and humus actually sounds really good, haha thanks for a new lunch idea! ;)

I thought the same thing!!
  • Blackdinomite
    Blackdinomite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm amazed at how much attention people pay to what's on my plate. Don't let this get you down - your results are raising eyebrows and the nosey's are just waiting to see you fall - if anything let the comment encourage you and stay consistent.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    They're probably just insecure about their own eating habits and not aware of it. Otherwise there would be no need to mention your food at all in that context.

Obesity due to high BF% is getting to be pretty normal, too. It doesn't make it a good thing.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with how to interact with other people around my health habits, so I can relate to this. I enjoy it when people tell me I'm looking good, but I don't really want to talk about "what I'm doing differently" or what "my secret" is, or whether or not I'm working out, or what diet I'm on, or what my weightloss goals are, and I especially hate it when people call attention to my efforts in a group setting. I don't know how to react and I get very uncomfortable. I don't want it to be a big deal and a lot of people insist on making it a big deal. I try to say thank you when they compliment me and I try to say as little as possible when they make any other kind of comment about it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    WTF is a brat?

I'm guessing bratwurst...it's a type of sausage.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    "Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs"

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I get lots of comments and questions from people. I started losing weight, and all of a sudden a lot of people turned into the food police and experts on what I should be eating. I am at the point where if someone says something annoying or ridiculous, they get a blank stare and maybe a raised eyebrow. If I let everything everyone has said get under my skin, I would probably be curled up in a corner crying.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    WTF is a brat?

Get out! Get out now! BLASPHEMY!!!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that's about you eating healthy - are you sure that it wasn't about the pita?

Around here, you'd be, "That girl who always eats pitas". :bigsmile:
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of upset by a comment that was made to me yesterday and I don't know where else to let it out, so here I am...

I was eating lunch yesterday at my desk, like I always do. I normally eat a pita with veggies and hummus all wrapped up in it. A co-worker saw me eating a salad with a turkey brat/bun (I'm pretty rigid with my veggies/pita routine so they noticed it was a change.) They said "are you eating a brat?" I said "oh yeah, it's a turkey brat, it's really good". They responded with "Congratulations, you're eating a normal lunch".

First of all, WHO CARES. Second, what's "normal"? Normal to me is food that makes me feel satisfied and full throughout the afternoon. My "normal" is a pita with veggies and humus. This person has no idea how much I eat for breakfast or dinner or snacks.

After this I have just been thinking it over in my head and thinking "I should have said ____" and thinking of all the times over this past summer where I now realize they made comments that were directed at me and/or ways of mocking/poking fun at me.

I know we're all adults here, and this shouldn't bug me as much as it is, but MAN. It really struck a nerve.

Look around you at what is considered "Normal" today.....overweight, unmotivated, unhealthy. If that's normal, I want to be WIERD!
  • fuschiagirl99
    fuschiagirl99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You'll find some people can be very hostile to others -- usually in a passive-aggresive form -- when they've changed their lifestyle to a healthy one.

I suspect most of it is rooted in a deep-seated jealousy and feeling bad about their own lifestyle.
  • amie709
    Options
    I'm kind of upset by a comment that was made to me yesterday and I don't know where else to let it out, so here I am...

I was eating lunch yesterday at my desk, like I always do. I normally eat a pita with veggies and hummus all wrapped up in it. A co-worker saw me eating a salad with a turkey brat/bun (I'm pretty rigid with my veggies/pita routine so they noticed it was a change.) They said "are you eating a brat?" I said "oh yeah, it's a turkey brat, it's really good". They responded with "Congratulations, you're eating a normal lunch".

First of all, WHO CARES. Second, what's "normal"? Normal to me is food that makes me feel satisfied and full throughout the afternoon. My "normal" is a pita with veggies and humus. This person has no idea how much I eat for breakfast or dinner or snacks.

After this I have just been thinking it over in my head and thinking "I should have said ____" and thinking of all the times over this past summer where I now realize they made comments that were directed at me and/or ways of mocking/poking fun at me.

I know we're all adults here, and this shouldn't bug me as much as it is, but MAN. It really struck a nerve.

Normal!!! Let's talk about normal for a moment, shall we??? (As you can tell-you got my back up too lol)

Let's think about what has become normal in our society. It has become normal to eat fast food every single day and sometimes two or hree times a day. It has become normal that these same places have doubled and sometimes tripled their portion size. The plus size stores poppinup as frequent as Wal Marts is normal. Having most all of your diet comprised of processed foods has become normal. Childhood obesity has become normal. Lack of exercise has become normal. Heart disease and diabetes and premature death due to obesity related problems has become normal.

Now, let me ask you-do you want to be normal??? Hell to the No!!!! If that's normal then I'll split from the pack Thank You Very Much.

Now, remember this: what your doing IS againt the grain. It IS againt the normal and you WILL find people everywhere that will critize you for it-because people who go against the grain get critized! People will make comments about you for a few different reasons: 1. they are jealous that YOU ARE DOING IT or 2. they want to be better then everyone else (like bullies) but don't want to put the work into being better themselves so the only other option is to make others look bad.

So, the next time they tell you that what your doing is not normal you lift your head a little higher in the air, stick out your chin, look them in the eye, smile and say "thank you".
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    "Congratulations, you're eating a normal lunch".

Let me translate for you. What she really said was, "Finally! You are eating something that I would eat. So, for once, I don't have to question whether my food choices are healthy. "Cause any other day, watching you that damned hummus would make me feel like a pig!"

Her comment did not deserve a response. Let her deal with her own food issues.
  • fuschiagirl99
    fuschiagirl99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have found that many people just don't want to do the work. Lets be honest, it is easier to be fat.
    I have a friend that basically told me she didn't want to hear about my healthy lifestyle changes. OK.
    Really she knows she needs to make some changes of her own. I am now just continuing to do what I do and
    the results speak for themselves. And guess what? Now she is talking about making some changes herself.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yep, that was rude. You were right in taking the high road. :)
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the posters on this thread, I like reading different people's points of view and seeing the different ways to look at situations like this....Truly, thank you! I loved reading through all the comments and thought a few were extra funny. :)
  • msneave
    Options
    It's weird how some days a comment like that can really bother you and other days it doesn't matter. I've had people bash my healthy eating habits since I was 18 years old so 25 years of hearing it from mom, dad, friends, boyfriends, co-workers, husbands, even my 14 years old son hassles me about what I eat some days. It never stops even when you're at your goal weight forever but it gets easier to deal with other people's negativity : ) and the best revenge ever is to just keep at it. When you finally look amazing (and you WILL if you keep eating healthy) some people will still say stupid nasty things but others will actually ask you for help or advice and that is the best feeling to know you're inspiring somebody else to get healthy too : )
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "Normal" is a fairly low standard to aspire to reach. I'd take that as a compliment that I usually function so much above average that others are surprised when I lower myself to their level. (Only half kidding.) :wink:
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    WTF is a brat?

Get out! Get out now! BLASPHEMY!!!!

Or just tell me what it is? A bratwurst, as previously guessed at?

In which case, gimme.