Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
13»

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    The thing is, apparently most of the heart rate monitors are not very accurate regarding calories burned, either.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The thing is, apparently most of the heart rate monitors are not very accurate regarding calories burned, either.

They aren't completely on accurate, but heart rate (assuming your HRM calculates calories based on this) is pretty much the most accurate at-home estimate you can get. It's definitely superior to formulas that just take into account your height and weight (like MFP) because it is basing the results off of how hard your body is actually working, rather than how hard the average person at X height and X weight would be likely to work.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    I use a Suunto ambit 2 HR but mainly because I run outside and wanted the GPS for route tracking and way points. Great package and very reliable but not cheap and maybe overkill unless you enjoy going out and getting lost
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I tested a few different ones. I decided to get the Polar FT7. The chest strap is a more accurate reading than some of the wrist ones. I didn't want an expensive pedometer (like a FitBit or Pear Sport). HRM are only really accurate in calorie counting if you are doing steady state aerobic exercise. I like to get an estimated calorie count because then I can get a feel for how much work I have to put in to burn a certain amount of calories. Sure makes that Twix bar not-so worth it anymore.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Yes. If you look at "treats" as in how much exercise you have to do to burn them off, they are not worth it!
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Polar w/ a chest strap. You get it on their website, or other places online (I hear), or some gyms sell them and set them up for you if you get metabolic testing done there.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anyone have the Withings Pulse? http://www.withings.com/en/pulse

It is an Activity Tracker/Pedometer/Heart Rate Monitor that I had my eye on. The price tag turned me off so I ended up getting a $35 Pedometer at (Oh c'mon really that's sensored? It's the name of a sporting goods store for goodness sake!) that had the features I mostly wanted (step counter, speed, cumulative time spent walking, distance, calories burned). I decided to hold off on getting a HRM because my primary form of exercise is walking. However I want to incorporate strength training into my routine, and I'm paranoid of MFP's inflated estimates throwing me off. If a HRM is inaccurate for strength training then how do you estimate calories burned when you lift?? Do you use MFP estimates which have a rep of being too high or consult another website for an estimate?
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I am really struggling as to which one to buy. I don't feel I can justify spending much on one until I am sure I am even going to stick with this. However, the ones that have the features I want are over $50.00.
This discussion has been closed.