Some one convince me... NROLW

Options
124»

Replies

• mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I know nothing of NROLW other than a lot of people like it and it's probably a fantastic way for women to step out of their comfort zone and start lifting more than pink DBs. BUT, when you say you got bored with SL 5x5 within a short amount of time, part of me thinks...

A) You got bored right away at the beginning because you didn't really get a chance to challenge yourself. I got my co-worker to join me with doing SL, and she wasn't into the idea of doing these big lifts, but she got hooked. She was so excited when she got to the point where she was squatting 100lbs. Then more excited when she got to put the 35s on the bar.

I was ecstatic about being able to bench press 100lbs. I felt bad *kitten*.

B) A heavy lifting program is just not your cup of tea. If you are going to get bored with doing the same movements every other workout, I don't know what to tell you.

You're probably right, circumstances interrupted where i was at and i hated the idea of starting over, so maybe i should just bite the bullet by the book or start of SL5x5

Lifting heavy weights is exciting to me i love feeling tough when I'm in the weights area, .... I can try to clarify what i meant earlier
    I need a variety without it being complicated... probably make zero sense i realize
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    Do it...I am stage 1 week 15 ---I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It alleviates the pain of thinking cardio ONLY. After years of cardio I am just plain burnt out on countless hours for small changes. I have whole heartedly started this process and am loving it. The scale really doesn't exist for me anymore - totally go by how I am feeling & how my clothes fit. Eating healthy goes with out saying. Once in a while a treat of course, but lifting heavy needs NUTRIENTS to sustain your muscles & and your body needs good nourishment. Check out the forums, TONS of information!!!

This is what i want to accomplish that feeling of not depending on the scale to see my progress, i know heavy lifting will get me there....

I think the few positive responses ive gotten are helpful, I will make it a point to get the book, whether i act out the program or not, i can still learn useful information from the book.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I STARTED with beach body programs
    Lifting heavy weights is relative to a persons fitness level at the time what i was doing was heavy

The weight aspect is relative...that said, "lifting heavy" is synonomous with strength training...big compound olympic lifts in the 1-5 rep range...where your last rep is basically failure.
    I got bored with SL5x5 obviously that means its not right for me

which means you aren't likey to enjoy any true "strength" oriented program...they're "big and boring." They're all about maximizing strength and setting PRs. Formats can be slightly different, but "heavy lifting" strength programs revolve around big, compound lifts and progressive loading.
    I dont know how complex NROLW is HENCE THE QUESTIONS!

And from everything else you've said, it seems that you may like to "use" weights...not necesarily "Lift" in the traditional strength or hypertrophy sense which is what NROLW is...it's a traditional lifting program the primarily utilizes free weights.
    You're assuming I am lazy and want the easy route and i have a bad attitude? Knowing nothing of my history other than the general statements i have made in this thread.

I don't assume you are lazy...I assume that you really haven't set any independent fitness goals and therefore have no clue which direction to go in...it will be difficult to find a training program that "fits you" if you don't have independent fitness goals...even more difficult for individuals in internets land to give a whole lot of helpful advise. If your sole purpose is burning calories, etc just stick with the circuit training and muscular endurance stuff.
    Dont know how all this was gathered by a person asking for "convincing" regarding a purchase
    What makes this program worth it Pros and Cons?
    That is it thats all i wanted

From other things you've said, you get bored with traditional lifting formats, which is what New Rules is...it's also more complex than many standard beginner strength routines...you stated that you don't like complexity either. It's kinda hard to have it both ways...you get bored with a bare bones but highly effective routine like SL...but then complexity turns you off...kinda hard to convince you of anything.
    Witch hunt much?

Hardly...maybe some people are just trying to make you stop and actually think.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a while now, on level 4. Look at my profile pic. I did NOT have muscles before....now I have a little bicep muscle popping through! I've lost inches. Gained a couple pounds. But, my clothes are much looser.

It works.

Do it.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I know nothing of NROLW other than a lot of people like it and it's probably a fantastic way for women to step out of their comfort zone and start lifting more than pink DBs. BUT, when you say you got bored with SL 5x5 within a short amount of time, part of me thinks...

A) You got bored right away at the beginning because you didn't really get a chance to challenge yourself. I got my co-worker to join me with doing SL, and she wasn't into the idea of doing these big lifts, but she got hooked. She was so excited when she got to the point where she was squatting 100lbs. Then more excited when she got to put the 35s on the bar.

I was ecstatic about being able to bench press 100lbs. I felt bad *kitten*.

B) A heavy lifting program is just not your cup of tea. If you are going to get bored with doing the same movements every other workout, I don't know what to tell you.

You're probably right, circumstances interrupted where i was at and i hated the idea of starting over, so maybe i should just bite the bullet by the book or start of SL5x5

Lifting heavy weights is exciting to me i love feeling tough when I'm in the weights area, .... I can try to clarify what i meant earlier
    I need a variety without it being complicated... probably make zero sense i realize

What it lacks in variety, it makes up for in progression.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    New Rules is effective, but whether you should try it depends on your needs and personality. I don't know you so I'll talk about ME, wheeeeee!

NROLFW was the perfect place for me to start. I had little experience with free weights and the book helped me get comfortable with lifting. But after Stage Two I felt like I was constantly looking up stuff to remind me what the different lifts were, and my focus and intensity decreased. I've switched to Stronglifts 5x5 because I like not having to think about the laundry list of lifts. But, what I see as straightforward, others would call boring.

I think if you are either new to lifting, or have a low threshold for boredom, NR is wonderful. But if simplicity is priority, there are probably better options.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    $14.99. Sh**, girl, go for it. If you like it, you bought a moment of win for fifteen bucks. I still have mine, and though I'm not a heavy lifter (yet), I got some stuff out of it and plan on reading it all the way through again when I get a weight bar instead of dumbbells and kettlebells.

And I WAS going to say "If you don't, put it on Amazon and let someone else try their luck," but you're one of those "e-readers". /booksnob :laugh:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    NROLW is intended for a different target audience than SS. That is clear throughout the books. Even though you can get to a very similar place in lifting with both. It's possible that the NROLW approach and banter will align better with the OP's thought processes, and prove to be more inspiring.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    New Rules is effective, but whether you should try it depends on your needs and personality. I don't know you so I'll talk about ME, wheeeeee!

NROLFW was the perfect place for me to start. I had little experience with free weights and the book helped me get comfortable with lifting. But after Stage Two I felt like I was constantly looking up stuff to remind me what the different lifts were, and my focus and intensity decreased. I've switched to Stronglifts 5x5 because I like not having to think about the laundry list of lifts. But, what I see as straightforward, others would call boring.

I think if you are either new to lifting, or have a low threshold for boredom, NR is wonderful. But if simplicity is priority, there are probably better options.

thank you i appreciate the response...
    All about pushing your boundaries and limits, and push past your excuses .... I will be on the hunt for a used copy of the book and keep going.

Thank you all!
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    $14.99. Sh**, girl, go for it. If you like it, you bought a moment of win for fifteen bucks. I still have mine, and though I'm not a heavy lifter (yet), I got some stuff out of it and plan on reading it all the way through again when I get a weight bar instead of dumbbells and kettlebells.

And I WAS going to say "If you don't, put it on Amazon and let someone else try their luck," but you're one of those "e-readers". /booksnob :laugh:
    HAHAHA
    no im not an e-reader snob, I just won a nook simple touch and dont use it thought i would put it on there lol
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    NROLW is intended for a different target audience than SS. That is clear throughout the books. Even though you can get to a very similar place in lifting with both. It's possible that the NROLW approach and banter will align better with the OP's thought processes, and prove to be more inspiring.

Thank you ... .thats kind of what i was looking to discover by the responses i hoped this thread would have.:flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight...you like lifting "heavy"...you've done Beachbody stuff (not lifting heavy)...and tried SL 5x5 and got bored (an actual heavy lifting program and save for Starting Strength, one of the best beginner "heavy" programs on the planet)...but you want to convince us that you like lifting heavy while we convince you to try a program that actually has some complexity to it (NROL4W) when you've already stated that you basically quit when it gets overly complex...yeah...you totally got this.

^This.

When I became interested and serious about strength training..that was it. I researched, looked up reviews, lurked on various forums and just went for it.

And I don't have access to free weights. I've had to scrounge and make up my own routines. Stronglifts was one of my inspirations and despite my inability to follow that exact program, I pulled a lot of great info from it and applied its concepts to the things I could do.

If you want something bad enough, you'll take chances and do the leg work. Not ask people to convince you to buy a $15 book.

^QFT on all of the above!!

I actually bought the book, after hearing other people rave about it and reading reviews, and tried it for a week, but I didn't like it. It wasn't my cup of tea, so I switched to Stronglifts and loved it, though I think I would have loved Starting Strength as well. That's the thing, though, you have to set your goals and try different things to get yourself there, don't waste time on something you are obviously not digging, and when you do find something you enjoy, ride it through to results and the next level.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I personally liked reading New Rules (i did check it out of the library cause cheap)

and decided it was too much variety for me and a lot to write down/remember

I did do stage 7 on its own last spring to cut before the summer and liked that part.

Overall I like stronglifts or starting strength with a few accessory lifts added in ( yes i KNOWWWWWWWW some people will not like that)

whatever.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's actually a really interesting book. I'm terrified of going to the gym to lift weights (I mean, like, dead terrified) but the information in the book is great and it's damn near convinced me.

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT... dont be ascared.

try ONE thing...it will get easier every time.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you need convincing then you're not ready.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I actually bought the book, read it cover to cover and then opted to do a program I designed on my own.

For someone that wants a very structured program, it's a good deal. I was dealing with gym time constraints, so it wasn't a good option for me.

Whatever option you choose, just do it for a while--- a good long while. If it's not broke, don't fix it .