Aired: My Big Fat Revenge

Options
2»

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I think deep down that mentality is in everyone who is trying to get in shape, somewhere deep down they want to prove some one wrong

Yeah. ME.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think deep down that mentality is in everyone who is trying to get in shape, somewhere deep down they want to prove some one wrong

No. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has no one to prove wrong.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I thought all of these things about the show, too, and really didnt like it that much. However, once I actually WATCHED the show, the revenge part wasn't them losing weight, it was a setup they had planned to show the person who made them feel so badly about themselves, how it feels to be in their shoes.

For example, the first girl set up a blind date for her exboyfriend, and the actress playing his "date" kept acting embarassed to be seen with him and making comments that made him feel insecure-- since that is what he did for his 9 month relationship with his ex. It let him get a taste of how it felt.

The other girl, put on a play where her mother got to see an actress saying and yelling all the hurtful things she had always called her daughter, like tire belly and tub of lard.

The intention of course is that they will see how bad their actions are and apologize and change their ways. However, it didnt work and I dont think it would-- because someone who is that horrible to another person, on a consistant basis, has little incentive to change and wont do so. And all you did was prove them right and admit that you DID need to lose the weight.

So, yes its a flop, but I was glad to see that the weight loss itself wasnt really the "revenge" mentioned in the title.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just saw a brief commercial for it. I dont like the premise. Losing weight for revenge is never a good idea. You lose weight for yourself your health and your life. F' the rest. The best revenge is long term success and happiness.

Just another show that teaches a woman is only worth her physical appearance apparently she cant seek revenge heavy, but is only deemed worthy when she loses weight.

Stupid...the more I think about it the angrier i get.

PS-I also hate the biggest loser, but oddly enough love shows on the BBC like Secret Eaters and super size vs. Super skinny. Maybe because the American shows just focus on some end result were the UK shows focus on the process and the psychology. I dont know. Sorry off on a tangent...yeah looks like an idiotic show.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options

PS-I also hate the biggest loser, but oddly enough love shows on the BBC like Secret Eaters and super size vs. Super skinny. Maybe because the American shows just focus on some end result were the UK shows focus on the process and the psychology. I dont know. Sorry off on a tangent...yeah looks like an idiotic show.

100% agree, at least when BBC does weight loss shows they go into so much more, and I learn more from them. i have NEVER liked the Biggest Loser either, and from my understand many of those contestants gain the weight back. The first thing I said when Big Fat Revenge was over was "I bet all of these girls end up gaining this weight back"
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I LOVE the BBC weight loss shows like Secret Eater, SS vs SS, and Food Hospital. At the core they are meant to be educational and send a message about food and health in an interesting way. The focus seems to be on rehabilitation of the underlying issue.

I do agree American weight loss shows are about end results, drastic lightning fast weight loss, and drama. It seems the reality trend here is to create a soap opera. I also think it plays into the worst side of us - it's almost like these shows want to illicit a negative reaction or give us something to hate. For example, the "rich person" shows where we sit and watch rich people in their giant homes being drama queens and throwing extravagant parties. We love to hate these people, and that's why we watch - to silently bash them as we watch. I don't like it but I do fall into that trap.

I'm interested to see the show just to get a taste of what it's about. I can't think of anyone I ever wanted to get back at by losing weight.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has no one to prove wrong.

Me neither. Maybe I'm super-lucky no one has been rude to me about it. If they have, I don't know or care.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Aghhh. Watching it right now. :sick: One of the girls lost 68lbs in 3 months. At one point about during the first month, she complained how sick she was of exercising. :huh: There is not even the lamest attempt to teach these 'contestants?' or the viewers anything about a healthy/sustainable method of weight loss.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Gross. So, they've already been humiliated by their exes, and now the producers of this show get to give it to them good. Awesome.

Breakups are a great opportunity to shift gears, even if anger fuels part of that, but... ugh.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The idea of this show makes my blood boil. It's insulting.

I agree with this. I think losing weight just to get back at someone from your past is dumb. It should be something you do for yourself and the people in your life who actually care about you and deserve your consideration-but that won't get so many ratings, sadly. I wonder how long the weight will stay off for these people who are only doing it to get back at exes or mean girls of the past. If someone wronged you and used your weight as a justification just move on and stop giving them space in your head.