High protein for one

Options
ma2007pmc
ma2007pmc Posts: 58 Member
Hello everyone, I am looking for high protein for one or make ahead meal prep.
Thanks!

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited January 6
    Options
    pS: don’t forget leftovers. Omelets with last nights leftovers are big around here and eggs are a solid protein source.

I loath eggs myself, but this morning I had leftover ham, spread with sharp mustard, on toast, in lieu of bacon. Cleaned the fridge and breakfast ended up being almost 50gr protein. Not a bad way to start the day. 👍🏻

Most sources recommend spreading protein intake out throughout the day, but I’m very high protein so that’s just a starter for me. I’m heavily morning workout oriented so I like a big protein boost first thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    There's a great thread here that links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. That was helpful to me when I was first starting, to get more protein within my calorie goal. That's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Find foods you like on that list, include them in your routine eating habits more often.

I'm in maintenance post-loss these days, targeting 100g minimum protein daily (as a vegetarian) and usually exceeding it by around 20% without much conscious attention, just from chipping away at revising my routine eating habits gradually to add protein. (For me, 100g is about 1g per pound of estimate lean mass, which is enough according to most sources to support an active life, and even to add muscle if there's the right exercise stimulus.)

Breakfast is usually either oatmeal or a yogurt bowl, either of which have Greek yogurt, peanut butter powder, walnuts, hemp/flax seed. Add a couple of cups of coffee with lots of hot skimmed milk, and that's 40+ grams of protein.

Lunches and dinners differ, but there's usually one meal with some kind of traditional soy food (remember, I'm vegetarian). That would be different forms of tofu or tempeh, maybe actual edamame either frozen or dry-roasted.

Other "big protein" sources I eat besides those I've already mentioned are cottage cheese, tasty calorie efficient regular cheeses (I like Babybel light, Jarlsberg Lite, and Cabot Sharp 50).

In addition to that, I choose veggies and sides with relatively more protein (some identified by that spreadsheet I mentioned above), breads with more protein, high protein pasta, and even flavoring ingredients that have some protein (such as miso, nutritional yeast, peanut butter or almond butter powder). Those are small amounts of protein, but they add up through the day. They also tend to be less complete protein sources (in balanced amino acid terms), and sometimes less bioavailable . . . but choosing lots of varied ones through the day compensates a bit for that.

A strategy for increasing protein is to review your MFP diary, looking for foods that have relatively many calories but not much protein, and that aren't important enough to you in current quantity/frequency that they're worth all those calories to you personally. (Different people will have different preferences, so no one can tell you which those are for you.) Those are foods you can reduce (frequency or portion size) or even cut out to free up some calories. Then, use the spreadsheet (or your growing nutritional knowledge) to put in other foods you enjoy eating that make a little better protein contribution to your routine day. Keep chipping away at that, and soon you'll be hitting your protein goals.

I don't use recipes much (I "just cook" extemporaneously), so I can't suggest any. But if you like recipes, there are a bunch in the MFP recipe blogs that are tasty, calorie-efficient, some make-ahead, etc.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipes/

Best wishes!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    Options
    @springlering62

If you are straining Greek yogurt to thicken it up, why not just start with plain yogurt? Isn't Greek yogurt just yogurt with some of the whey strained out?

Before Greek yogurt was commonly available, I'd always strain my yogurt (and grated cucumbers) before making tzatziki. And as long as we're talking tzatziki, it's got protein (not vast amounts) AND it has a little fiber from the cucumber.
  • springlering62
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @springlering62

If you are straining Greek yogurt to thicken it up, why not just start with plain yogurt? Isn't Greek yogurt just yogurt with some of the whey strained out?

Before Greek yogurt was commonly available, I'd always strain my yogurt (and grated cucumbers) before making tzatziki. And as long as we're talking tzatziki, it's got protein (not vast amounts) AND it has a little fiber from the cucumber.

Because the recipe I used called for Greek and I followed it to the letter and never even thought of the other. 😬

But the prices are similar and seems like I’d get more quantity out of the Greek?

Your idea of making and then draining the tzatziki is brilliant. I never thought of that. I pick up such great tips around here!!!
  • springlering62
    Options
    PS I’m trying the labneh cheesecake again today, this time with no crust. I’m confident it’ll work and I’ll add more berries than last time and use a smaller pie dish so it’ll be thicker and bake nicer.

Crustless blueberry labneh cheesecake. Entire cake will be well under 600 calories, and nearly 80gr protein, and I expect it to be delicious this time. The scant crust I made last time let the dish down.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @springlering62

Because the recipe I used called for Greek and I followed it to the letter and never even thought of the other. 😬

But the prices are similar and seems like I’d get more quantity out of the Greek?

Your idea of making and then draining the tzatziki is brilliant. I never thought of that. I pick up such great tips around here!!!

I would drain the yogurt through a colander lined with cheesecloth. I had no use for the whey, so I dumped the bowl out after it was drained. After the yogurt drained for hours, I'd wrap up the cheesecloth and squeeze it to get more whey out. It was not as thick as cream cheese, but it was quite good. I'd drain the grated cucumber briefly in a strainer. It made a good tzatziki.

Do you remember Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet?" I got the idea from his show. Funny thing: I think he didn't know how to pronounce it. I remember writing down the recipe called, "Chugeekee." Maybe I misunderstood what he said. It was years and years before I realized I was actually making tzatziki. I knew what tzatziki was, but....

• springlering62
    edited January 10
    Options
    @springlering62

I would drain the yogurt through a colander lined with cheesecloth. I had no use for the whey, so I dumped the bowl out after it was drained. After the yogurt drained for hours, I'd wrap up the cheesecloth and squeeze it to get more whey out. It was not as thick as cream cheese, but it was quite good. I'd drain the grated cucumber briefly in a strainer. It made a good tzatziki.

Do you remember Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet?" I got the idea from his show. Funny thing: I think he didn't know how to pronounce it. I remember writing down the recipe called, "Chugeekee." Maybe I misunderstood what he said. It was years and years before I realized I was actually making tzatziki. I knew what tzatziki was, but....

😱 oh the horror!!! Save the whey! Substitute it for water or milk. It’ll make your baked goods light as a feather. I make a super simple hearth type bread with just flour salt yeast and whey. The whey gives it a mild sourdough flavor without the hassle, and it rises better, imho.

Always add it last if there’s salt or baking powder/soda in your recipe. It has some kind of chemical reaction and makes it slightly foamy, hence the lighter texture.

At least, my N=1 or whatever they call it here.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I call in n=1.

Those boots lasted many many millions of steps before they died - just to put it back on topic :lol:
  • nigeypiggy
    nigeypiggy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ma2007pmc wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I am looking for high protein for one or make ahead meal prep.
    Thanks!

My advice would be to simplify your meals and incorporate more high-protein ingredients, such as beans. Adding beans to a mixed leaf salad can be an easy way to increase protein intake.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I cook for one (or actually, I don't really "cook" for one...) My macros are completely adjustable based on needs or preferences. If I eat a "home-cooked" meal instead of takeout, it's a quick and easy combination of ingredients. I call it a scoop dinner. I always have a variety of frozen vegetables and meat on hand. When it's time for a meal, I just scoop whatever vegetables sound good, add whatever meat sounds good (frozen roasted chicken and shrimp are my go-tos), put on some kind of seasoning or sauce and microwave to your desired eating temperature. I usually have this with either ready rice or ready pasta. You could always add more meat to increase protein, more veg to increase fiber, whatever you need at the time, you can balance on the fly. you could even scramble an egg into it to up the protein. It's quick, easy, and endlessly customizable.
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Found an awesome high-protein wrap by egglife - eggwhite wraps. They come in original & cinnamon flavor.
    I use these in lieu of tortillas or breads, the original i use to make chicken wraps for lunch and the cinnamon one is a good one for a sweet treat - i add almond butter and sliced fruits + a drizzle of lankanto (sugar-free) maple syrup.