New start

Options
whkl1
whkl1 Posts: 21 Member
New start, new year, as always. Every year I feel like I do this. I am at the most weight I have ever been. I even thought about Ozempic, but the price and side effects scare me, and what happens when I stop taking it.

So I am back to my fitness pal. It has worked before tracking food, carbs, calories. My goal would be to loose 80lbs also. After reading other post, I will shoot for mini goals. Increase water, exercising, and decreasing calorie intake. I have not weighted myself in a LONG time.

So tomorrow’s goals…. 64 oz of water, spin bike (nothing crazy), 1500 calories, and record my consumption in the tracker.

I will be back tomorrow night to report my progress on tomorrow’s goals.

Replies

• Hannahmk88
    Hannahmk88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there :smile:
    I have just started my fitness pal today and this time want to take it more seriously and get to goal! I'd really like someone to do it along side to make me more accountable and I like that you are starting again too.
    I am getting married in may 2025 and would really like to lose about 50lb asap so I can go and try on dresses with more confidence.
    I am in the UK
  • corinne294
    corinne294 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know, I had thought about the weight loss drugs...but read that when you stop taking it, you gain the weight back and more. I am thinking of this as a lifestyle change and a "diet." It's too strict for me to say I will only eat keto or Mediteranean or whatever. So counting calories and logging exercise is what I'm trying in this first week.
  • whkl1
    Options
    Well small goals. I did it today. But I may hate my self at 3am when I am getting up to pee. I only got 24oz of water during day and about an hour ago I am starting the last 48ish oz. Oh well I did my water intake, I did exercise, and I stayed under the calories count. I am done for the day. The water does help. I am usually eating whatever when I come home for work but after 48 oz I don’t want to eat anymore. I almost had to stop eating dinner.

Tomorrow, I am shooting for the same goals.

Hannah. Congrats… how exciting. Accountability is key for me. But then again I have not weighted myself yet. Maybe next week. I am just going to focus on the goals each day. I have never done that before.

Corinne.. agree, restricting is not the solution. However, I did eat protein more than anything today. No bread or fruit. Very little veggie. In one of the threads I saw something about Dr Stillman diet. I have never heard of it so I looked it up. It is all protein, nothing else. I don’t plan on doing this full time, but I just want to feel comfortable in my fat clothes. Lol.

I achieved my today goal. Tomorrow will be the same. I will be back tomorrow with my progress. Hannah and Corinne let me know how you are doing.
  • Hannahmk88
    Hannahmk88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done whkl 👍🏻💪🏻 definitely celebrate the small wins!
    I did the same with water yesterday and ended up having to get up in the night 🤦🏻‍♀️ but I agree it's definitely helping.
    I've not weighed myself since I started again the other day. I guessed my start weight as I need to get batteries for my scales haha
    I'm doing well at sticking within my calories and drinking the water but I'm finding extra exercise difficult. My days are so busy that by the time I get home I'm pooped! I walk miles as it is and being a teaching assistant means I'm on my feet alot but I think my body is used to it.
    I'm just trying to stay in my recommended micros that mfp is recommending me but if my weight doesn't see the impact then I may try something different x
    P.s thank you for the congrats 😁 I am super excited x
  • whkl1
    Options
    Welll I didn’t post last night. But Water and exercise were met. Calories was a little more that the 1500 but the day before was less than that so I balanced out. I see that boredom and sitting by the kitchen is a problem. I want to go and pick at the refrig. And I was done with my water for the day and didn’t want to drink anymore. Today my goal is just water and calorie intake. I have to find high protein foods that are low in fat. When I review my diary of logging food, I see the fat intake is high. I’ll have to do a little research to see what types of protein to have nearby that are low in fat. I am skipping exercise today. Not putting that on my goal.

Maybe do some yoga, pilates, or lift weights after work. Start small like 10 min, then work your way up. That is what I did with my exercise. On Monday I did 20 min, Tuesday I did 21min. I know if I try and go hard core with a 45 min workout, I won’t sustain it. To me 20 min is better than nothing. Even 10 min.

Good luck to you Hannah!!
  • whkl1
    Options
    Was worried yesterday because I didn’t have must work todo and the kitchen is nearby. But it turned out okay. All goals met yesterday. Today exercise is done and 1 glass of water. So far so good. I will check back later today!!
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi I am joining you if you don't mind.
    I have been on and off MFP since 2014.
    My best run with it was2017-2018 when I lost 30 kg and reached my goal weight. This current run Is from Febuary of last year . I did good till July fell off caught myself at the end of September and then did okish to end of November.

Bought a puppy last year and I think I owe it partially to the dog that I did not gain more at the end of the year than I lost . I am down from last February but I am still 15 kg out from the ideal weight. I am hopping to emulate last year and loose 11 kg from new years day to new years eve. That's 11 kg when the end of year gain is a fact.
    It might not seem very ambitious but I am hopping that this time is the last time I loose the weight.

Good on you for starting.
    Nice to see you have set achievable day to day goals.

Wedding planning is so exciting in the early stages and then in the last few weeks you will possibly regret not just going to city hall and spending the time and money on a honey moon. I remember I did those last few weeks were hectic. But it was a fun day.

I heard about the drug. Heard it causes nausea. No thanks not a fan of nausea.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited January 13
    Options
    whkl1 wrote: »
    Welll I didn’t post last night. But Water and exercise were met. Calories was a little more that the 1500 but the day before was less than that so I balanced out. I see that boredom and sitting by the kitchen is a problem. I want to go and pick at the refrig. And I was done with my water for the day and didn’t want to drink anymore. Today my goal is just water and calorie intake. I have to find high protein foods that are low in fat. When I review my diary of logging food, I see the fat intake is high. I’ll have to do a little research to see what types of protein to have nearby that are low in fat. I am skipping exercise today. Not putting that on my goal.

Maybe do some yoga, pilates, or lift weights after work. Start small like 10 min, then work your way up. That is what I did with my exercise. On Monday I did 20 min, Tuesday I did 21min. I know if I try and go hard core with a 45 min workout, I won’t sustain it. To me 20 min is better than nothing. Even 10 min.

Good luck to you Hannah!!

@whkl1, for the bolded, you might find some help in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • Cheery83
    Options
    So I am still managing my goals. And walking the dog. Today was more like swimming the dog.
    It was predicted as snowfall but came as rain. Would have been thoroughly snowed in if it had been snow.

Quite alot of ice to be careful on whilst walking. My fitness pal thinks I eat to much fat but I think it's wrong. Because I try to eat less carbs. Not low carb or anything just less.
  • whkl1
    Options
    I keep getting kicked out when looking at the spreadsheet listed. That was a lot of work. Yesterday I didn’t exercise but I met my water goal. My calorie goal was short 700 cal because I had a late breakfast and lunch but I’m still full steam ahead. I already exercise today and had two glasses of water now. I do have a little concerned because tonight I have a party to go to, and I want to make sure I, keep it up.

@Hannahmk88 I hope all is going well. You have some energy after work and the wedding plans are going smoothly.

@Cheery83 it is cold and rainy outside here, so no outdoor activities for me.

Good luck to you both and keep working at it
  • Cheery83
    Options
    @whkl1 I have a dog rain or snow I have to walk. I wanted a dog I regret nothing. It's great to be outside when one actually has gotten dressed and gotten out.

how does one actually tag people?

Not much partying here. I have a dog a cat. Two kids and a housenerd. I probably should have more friends but I really don't have time and energy for more than the handful I have that I se twice a year it seems. Between a people heavy job and home and kid activities I am usually all peopled out. So biggest threat now is mil having a birthday in February. And me and 2 of my plotting leaving children and husbands to stay a weekend at a hotel. With a pool but it might take some time to find a weekend where none of us have kidstuff or parent stuff.

So I think I am setting my calorie goal to 2000. Because I seem to be there no matter what the app says I should aim for. And if I go over I will just head for the sky.
    I don't have a smart watch at the moment but I see when I had one it would be at 2600 cals burned most days so I will try this for a while and se if my tendency to just go over and then give up will stop.

• CoffeeCastle
    CoffeeCastle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My birthday was this weekend so I didn’t log much. I had a great weekend but now is the time to get back on the January plan! I’m right here with you
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    @whkl1
    If you're still here I have an idea for one very important resolution, if it's not too late for resolutions.
    How about a mini goal of logging in every day for a month, no matter how much you eat, whether you exercise or drink water. Just log. That's all.
    Another mini goal. Log in at least once a month for a year. No matter how much or little you eat. No matter whether you exercise or not. No matter how much or how little water. Just log.
  • Cheery83
    Options
    @CoffeeCastle happy birthday hope you had a good celebration.

So me and my puddle jumping dog went to dog training in -14 c. But that was probably cancelled because only one other dog showed up and the trainer wasn't there.
    I am fairly certain she said that her limit was -15. But me and the other dog and owner set had a nice walk.
  • christyhickman4296
    christyhickman4296 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just came across your post, and would like to join you in your journey. I just restarted MFP about 2 weeks ago. I spent the 1st week getting back into the habit of logging everything, increasing my water intake. Last week I started walking on my new treadmill. I try to walk at least 30/45 minutes a day. I am looking for people to help me stay motivated and accountable. This is not a diet for me it’s a lifestyle change.
  • whkl1
    Options
    Hi all,
    Great idea just to set a goals to log intake and activity daily. I seem to be better if I log my intake. Well I went to the party, had 3 water bottles and stuffed my face with tacos:) But one corn shell cracked and laid down, added seasoned beef lettuce, salsa, red peppers, jalapeños, a little cheese. I came home and logged everything in. Oh yeah and a piece of chocolate cake. I did cut it in half. Oh well. I stayed within the range of my daily intake because I didn’t eat much before the party. I am not beating myself up about it. The last 2 days have been good with calories, but the exercise has not. I had to work both Sunday and today. I want to exercise tomorrow, but I didn’t sleep well last night and I do have to work again tomorrow. I’ll see how tired I am in the morning.

Keep up the good work everyone. I will try to do the same!! I am trying to post something each day.

Oh yeah and it has been one week and I have not weighed myself. I went to do it the other day and it needs batteries. In the past I would weight myself morning and night. Maybe I will not weigh myself.
  • Cheery83
    Options
    So today I am up from Monday. I know it's those cute hormones but still sucks. I gain weight for ToM but also two weeks before.

The dog is eying the leftover pizza on the table. We have sort of agreed on no human food for her. But apparently she disagrees with us. Last Wednesday she managed to snag to pieces whist I was getting undressed after our walk. So today I might put them away before our walk. But it good training for her that we have food on the table and tell her no when she attempts.

At this very moment I am just procrastinating. We have -17 c and I have to wear a *kitten* load of clothes whilst walking the dog I look like a pink high vis version of the Michelin man.

Also I think my winter clothes might be a size to large
  • whkl1
    Options
    Managing my daily goals except exercise. I knew this week would be hard because I am working full days this week. Friday is probably my best bet. My goal will be to do that. I have been meeting goals on logging, water, and calories. Today is day 10. So far so good. However, I have not weighted myself yet because I did not put a battery in the scale. I don’t know if I just don’t want to know or I just don’t care anymore. I guess as long as I keep hitting my goals, I am okay with this.

Well off to work!!
    Good luck to you all
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited January 17
    Options
    You're doing great.

Sticking with the process is key to success, and the rare off day is less important than thinking about what's working and not working, adjusting plans to be more realistic and successful.

Good show!
  • Cheery83
    Options
    Tomorrow is Friday which dietwise is a really tough day. Because I work in the kitchen of a nursing home and Friday I serve a treat like waffles or sweet roles etc. and it is so hard to not quality sample it. And by quality sample I mean it three servings. Luckily plenty of the nursing staff are willing to check that it tastes right. So if I can resist someone else can verify that they taste right.

Maybe don't bother with the scales if you don't want to and let your clothes tell you if you are making progress.