Starting Over Again

Options
I have tried to get my eating under control all of my adult life. This is so critical for me now especially at my age of 76. I had a minor heart attack a year ago, and fortunately I was spared death. But, you'd think at this age and going through this a year ago I would learn something. It has taken me a year just to prepare to do this weight loss thing. How can that be? Why do we not learn from life that we have to take control of our health, which in my case is my weight. Do any of you have any good advice to share for people like me? I am listening for sure. Have a great day and may you achieve your goals.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people think they need to do extreme, punitive things in order to lose weight . . . as if being fat were a sin we need to expiate by suffering. That perspective, if present, can make it extra hard to even start.

Honestly, when I finally committed to lose weight (from class 1 obese) at age 59, I was shocked that it was so much simpler than I'd anticipated. Of course it wasn't psychologically easy every second, but the process mechanics were very straightforward. I wish I'd done it decades earlier, given that - I would've avoided a lot of negative health consequences if I had.

I found it helpful to think in terms of gradually remodeling my eating habits to dial in appropriate calories, feel reasonably full most of the time, and get decent overall nutrition on average over a day or few, while eating foods I enjoy and find affordable and practical.

For me, getting my weight under control was pretty much all about the eating side of the equation. I'd gotten quite active, even athletic, in my late 40s/early 50s after a previous sedentary life, then full bore cancer treatment. I was so physically depleted post-cancer that I realized I needed to be more active if I ever wanted to feel strong, energetic, or maybe even happy ever again.

That, too, was a gradual process, trying ways of moving more and being more active that were manageably challenging, and seeking out and sticking with the ones that I found fun, or at least tolerable/practical.

This was the eating approach I used:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't be perfect for everyone - no one approach is universally ideal, if you ask me. But it's one option to consider.

I'm now 68, still at a healthy weight (currently lower 130s at 5'5") following that weight loss at 59-60, and still routinely active, and reasonably fit/strong for our demographic. My health markers are all good (which was for sure not the case before weight loss!)

IMO, steady but gradual progress can be a good way to go.

It doesn't have to be an instant revolutionary change in every habit, doesn't have to be perfect from day one . . . small changes add up to good things.

Wishing you success - the payoff in quality of life is worth it, IME!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Consider that the way you are thinking about making change is an issue. If your thoughts are negative and restrictive, your less likely to do the actions. If your thinking about all the unpleasant restriction you will have to endure, if you're thinking about all the things you enjoy that you can never have, if you're putting your system into panic mode thinking change is life or death, then you are unlikely to succeed.

Try thinking in terms of "I am choosing to ____ so I can ___ (live a long, happy, healthy life?) You might have to practice the thoughts until you believe them.

Also, work on finding the positive - "Here is some food I like that I get to eat. Here is an activity I enjoy. Here is something I'm doing that makes me feel healthy and strong."