Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

CO2 Footprint Low C02 diet

Options
By limiting food consumption we limit the green house gases emissions.
A cool feature would be to calculate the C02 used based on the food we eat on a daily basis and cumulative basis. This helps put in perspective the damages to the environment as well as to our healths by overeating.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    How would this be accurate? Doesn't it matter how the food was grown/raised, i.e., difference between local grass-fed beef and factory-farm beef, local spinach from my farmers market vs. spinach shipped in from afar and stored along the way? That's without even getting in to how a person would estimate CO2 impact of entries like "meat lasagna" or "ham sandwich" for which even the nutritional values are iffy since we don't know the recipe.

I get what you're saying about it being nice to know, maybe motivating for some, but I don't think MFP could do this accurately. As individuals, we can do things to minimize the climate impact of our eating, but even that is somewhat limited by what we can know about the supply chains and circumstances of our foods.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    This is a neat idea! I have passed it along to the appropriate team to think more about.