Not losing weight

Options
xj74v7mcjy
xj74v7mcjy Posts: 1 Member
I recently have been gaining weight and I decided to cut down my calories work out and try to be more healthy. It is a struggle because I’m new at this and it is harder at night. I do go over a lot but I put my calories lower so I can go over a bit. But I don’t know what to eat every day to lose weight.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Hey, good that you're trying to make a change!

Some thoughts: for weightloss it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you feel full and happy. However, what makes you full and happy is totally individual. I might tell you what works for me, but you might as well gnaw your arm off. So it might be a good idea to look through your diary at the end of every day and evaluate how full you felt after each meal, and this way figure out what works for you. Many people find food high in protein very filling. However, for others it might be fats or carbs. Again, some people don't feel full at all from drinking their calories instead of eating them. So you need to figure out what works for you. And do try to log your calories truthfully, preferably with a foodscale, and check whether the calories are correct (many aren't)

I don't think I can't give you a more tailored advice because I don't know anything about you. If you want more help, especially on setting correct calories then can you share your current stats (weight, size, gender, age, and weightloss goal/calorie goal)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @xj74v7mcjy

Why not set your calories to the CORRECT level and strive to hit that instead of setting them too low and planning to go over?

How much too low are they set, and how much over do you go? You easily could be going over the actual target. You also might be UNDER that actual target, and that might result in excessive hunger. That would be especially true if your target is already too aggressive.

What is your current weight and height? Did you use the guided set-up to set your calorie goal? How much did you say you wanted to lose per week? What was the calorie goal that the set-up provided, and what is the "too low" goal that you shoot for with the intention of failure? Wouldn't it be better to set yourself up for success?

You said you decided to work out. What is your workout? Do you add those calories to your goal?

These are just a few questions you might ask yourself. You can use the answers to fine tune your goals. The best thing you can do is develop good habits you can do now and continue forever. That's how you get to your goal and maintain it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    If things are harder at night, absolutely experiment with what you're eating and when you're eating it to try to improve your satiation. And sure, don't cut calories absolutely to the bone for fast loss: That can be counter-productive.

In addition . . . because it's at night . . . consider the role of fatigue.

When we're fatigued, good odds that our body will seek energy. Food is energy. When are we most likely to be fatigued? In the evening, as we get more distant from our last sleep. Voila, evening cravings!

If your sleep quality or quantity could be improved, doing that might help.

Because stress is fatiguing, better managing stress could help manage appetite, whether through eliminating stressors where possible or adopting non-food stress management techniques that work for you. (That could be a lot of things: Mild exercise or stretching, warm aromatherapy bubble bath, prayer or meditation, journaling, etc.)

Another source of fatigue is overly intense, frequent, or lengthy exercise (for one's current fitness level). You don't mention specific exercise, but a lot of people seem to arrive here thinking punitively intense daily exercise is necessary as part of weight loss. It isn't. It can even be counterproductive. The fatigue factor is counterproductive for weight loss, because it bleeds calorie burn out of daily life activity (because we rest more, do less). The over-exercise is counterproductive for fitness improvement because it short-changes recovery, and recovery is where the magic happens - i.e., our body rebuilding itself better and stronger.

As far as what to eat when losing weight, I took an approach of gradually remodeling my eating routine, starting from how I was eating before weight loss. First I got calories where I needed them, then worked on feeling full more of the time, then dialing in nutrition . . . while eating foods I personally find tasty, affordable and convenient.

That won't be the perfect approach for everyone - no one thing is, if you ask me. But it's one possible approach to consider. There are more details here, if that idea appeals to you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Best wishes!