I miss bread

Options
Losing_Is_A_Win
Losing_Is_A_Win Posts: 1 Member
Bread is my weakness. I could probably eat a whole loaf in a day. I’ve been missing it so much, especially with my eggs in the morning.

So I figured out an alternative a couple days ago. I shred a (red skin) potato into the air fryer, no oil, layer it thin and long. Air fry it until the hashbrowns are nicely toasted and crispy. It shouldnt fall apart if done right. Place my eggs on top and sandwich it.

I still miss bread, but I’m content for now

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,610 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to go down the route of baking your own, you might as well buy a bread machine. They can be had nowadays for less than £100 and use less energy than the oven. Also they do the kneading for you and should come with a recipe booklet including instructions for alternative flours such as rye, etc.

The first two bread makers we had were from Panasonic and each lasted about 10 years, which is pretty good for a machine with moving parts. Our new one is more compact but only time will tell if it is as sturdily built. You would need to be willing to give up counter space for it.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you are planning to go down the route of baking your own, you might as well buy a bread machine. They can be had nowadays for less than £100 and use less energy than the oven. Also they do the kneading for you and should come with a recipe booklet including instructions for alternative flours such as rye, etc.

The first two bread makers we had were from Panasonic and each lasted about 10 years, which is pretty good for a machine with moving parts. Our new one is more compact but only time will tell if it is as sturdily built. You would need to be willing to give up counter space for it.

All true enough, LOL. For an IT guy, I have a luddite or atavistic streak and prefer to do a lot - but not all - kitchen things by hand and with minimally-processed ingredients. With bread, I have used an easy no-knead process for a long time, and now, post-covid, post-home-downsizing-and-retirement-home-move, I am exploring different aspects of the process. I realize my path isn't for everyone.

I too have concerns around energy conservation. I do think using my full-sized home oven for a loaf of bread is energy-extravagent, so I typically piggyback my baking to use a preheated oven from a dineer roast and batch up 2-3 loaves at a time, or even (since the timings coincide pretty well - 400F for about 40 minutes) - bake bread while doing one or another sheet pan chicken recipe on the other oven shelf.

I *have* added a machine to the kitchen - in the midst of the pandemic, when bread and flour weren't available, I bought a mill. Now that we're settled in our new place, I'm getting ready to really give it a dedicated place on the kitchen counter. Most of my current elaboration of the basic bread process has been to master whole grain loaves so that my eventual mill results will be spot-on. Longer fermentation/cold fermentation, yeast variants, hybrid sourdough, etc. - they're all the precursors of diving into home-milled bread.

I have posted some of my not-so-successful results here over the years. Look towards seeing some more, LOL. I always like seeing your stuff posted (over on the "what do your meals look like" thread), it is often great-looking and your variety is inspiring. At this stage of life, I'm more a simple guy.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    I need to try that. I just keep trying all kinds of things for sandwiches. Haven't found the best sub yet.
    I also miss biscuits and gravy.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    edited February 7
    Options
    @mjbnj0001

I make homemade skyr and occasionally yogurt. i substitute for water with liquid whey left over from the process. It gives my no-knead a lovely tangy sourdough taste without the effort.

I’d try making sourdough, but I remember how the kefir grains got away from me……tribbles, anyone?

If someone is looking for a low cal commercial bread, Lewis Bakeries is 70 calories for two normal sized slices, and tastes just like non-low cal bread. Nature’s Own sells a similar loaf.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    @mjbnj0001

I make homemade skyr and occasionally yogurt. i substitute for water with liquid whey left over from the process. It gives my no-knead a lovely tangy sourdough taste without the effort.

I’d try making sourdough, but I remember how the kefir grains got away from me……tribbles, anyone?

If someone is looking for a low cal commercial bread, Lewis Bakeries is 70 calories for two normal sized slices, and tastes just like non-low cal bread. Nature’s Own sells a similar loaf.

I have ample supplies of unflavored pure whey concentrate powder here (I add it to oatmeal in the mornings), I should've thought to add that into the "hybrid sourdough" loaves I've been experimenting with. I have added the dry whey to the flour a number of times, but at 1-3 scoops per batch it was a protein boost, not a flavor-changer. "Hybrid whey" (I didn't pick the name), is a variant on no-knead which uses a longer fermentation (12+ hrs rather than 90+ minutes) and includes the live cultures from yogurt (I use Stoneyfield Plain whole milk, dissolved in the dough water to innoculate with the cultures). It's been good, results-wise, but I need to keep tinkering with the process for better effect.

My problem with "real" sourdough wasn't a runaway culture (McCoy ... "As far as I can tell, Jim, they're BORN pregnant!" LOL), mine (repeatedly) seemed to die of neglect, no matter what I tried.
  • sheralynn82
    sheralynn82 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 8
    Options
    Have you tried Carbonaut bread? Its just like bread. 150cal for 2 pieces, 18 grams of carbs but 16 grams in fibre so your net carb is only 2 grams.
    Also 13 grams of protein :)
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    @mjbnj0001

"Hybrid whey" (I didn't pick the name), is a variant on no-knead which uses a longer fermentation (12+ hrs rather than 90+ minutes) and includes the live cultures from yogurt (I use Stoneyfield Plain whole milk, dissolved in the dough water to innoculate with the cultures). It's been good, results-wise, but I need to keep tinkering with the process for better effect.

Oops. Typo. That was "hybrid sourdough," not "hybrid whey."
  • GM1Ret
    GM1Ret Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found cauliflower rounds/bread at COSTCO.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I too used to love bread too.

I have slowly eliminated it from my diet. No more feeling sluggish and a lot less inflammation. :)
  • docconnie
    docconnie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do Dave's killer bread, thin sliced. 60-70 cal, 3 gr protein, 12 carbs per slice 3 grams fiber, depending on which type you try. I love Mission carb balance soft tortilla wraps. 60 cal, 19 carbs, 14 grams fiber, 5 grams of protein. I add turkey or ham, and cheese and microwave the wrap for melty goodness
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've made several bread, muffin, donut, cake recipes off "The Big Man's World", healthy n low cal.
  • HeidiJ810
    HeidiJ810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bread is my weakness too! I can’t give it up and I refuse to eat bread that tastes like cardboard. Have you tried Oroweat sandwich thins? It’s like a skinny pre-sliced bun. The wheat one is my favorite and it’s 140 calories, 24 net carbs and 7 grams of protein. They have a keto version too, and that is 100 calories, 4 net carbs, and 12 grams of protein. The keto version is good, but doesn’t have as much flavor. They are awesome with breakfast sandwiches and burgers too! Don’t cut out foods you love! Just find healthy swaps. Good luck!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options

Following up with a new batch of my "hybrid sourdough." This time, for the batch, I added 4 scoops of unflavored whey concentrate powder and boosted the amount of yogurt (for its live cultures to innoculate the dough so as to make it the "hybrid" approach) from 2T to 3T. Otherwise all the same process and ingredients as last time.

Here's the result. The dough after proofing (9 hours at room temp) smelled incredible, very "fermented." During the bake and afterwards, also incredible. The taste was great when eating, but no forward-tasting "sourdough tang," only a hint of "something," consistent with other whey experiments I've done over the past several years. And, thanks to our old friend Maillard and his reaction, I got a bit more robust color on the loaves (see the previous batch pic above from Feb 1).

I am wondering if liquid whey directly from milk fermentation is more the key than dried powdered concentrate. My logic has been, "dry powdered concentrate = more whey" but maybe that's flawed. While I occasionally make my own yogurt, I usually buy it (plain) by the quart; maybe I'll buy a couple and strain them to "Greek-ize" it and salvage the whey for baking.

Anyway, bread baking - the experiments you can eat, LOL.

MFP computes these loaves, assuming 20 slices each, as, per slice: 88 cal, 6g protein, 1g fat, 15g carb, 2g fiber.

Oh -- and for those who are watching their glycemic index/loads (leading to an interest in sourdough or reduced/eliminated bread consumption), I've been following some discussions that freezing and then toasting bread transforms a portion of the starch to resistant starch, thus lowering the GI/GL. Literally, food for thought ... as far as I can tell, home baking with simple ingredients is better to begin with than the commercial stuff, and with my freezing the "surplus" loaves each batch, I may be getting this added benefit. It's not plainly obvious unfortunately, and I don't have blood glucose meters to do actual measurements.

jbxawjf81pyw.jpg

• dustinsabourin
    dustinsabourin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    90 second keto bread.

Tried keto once and needed this in my life to survive it.