Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Original poster posted 1x and then has been inactive FYI -

• Tlc0309
    Tlc0309 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you go on to YouTube and find acre homestead she makes a no knead bread that is delicious as grilled cheeses and with eggs and bacon. I've not had any issues with her bread. Ive made it a dozen times. It's super easy to do. Just a few ingredients you probably already have.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,943 Member
    edited March 12
    Options
    I suspect your on a low carb or ketogenic diet. There's lots of recipes online that make keto bread, I've used them once in a while and they work for what your complaining about. Most are 1-3 g's of carbs per slice.
  • richardc1947
    richardc1947 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Ezekiel Bread. There are several different types and flavors. I especially like the cinnamon raisin. Flourless and very healthy. It will be in your grocer's frozen food section.
  • jubeli123
    jubeli123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I miss it too but found nordic wellness protein bread. With a dollop of cream cheese it really does the trick for me. Its rye bread with a lot of seeds so its not your traditional fluffy sliced bread so it may not be for everyone. Per 100 g (about two thick slices):
    13 grams fat
    7.5 grams carbs
    22 grams protein
  • jmcmahan61
    jmcmahan61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread, but if I want it I'm going to eat it in moderation that is. I would fail if I deprived myself like that; honestly have you thought about changing your relationship with food; it's not normal to want to eat an entire of loaf of bread. By the way I am not judging, because my wife told me that she tried Jenny Craig before and when they told her she could have a whole wheat roll they were only available in a bag at Krogers; wife said she was so hungry she ate the whole bag...lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    jmcmahan61 wrote: »
    I don't eat a lot of bread, but if I want it I'm going to eat it in moderation that is. I would fail if I deprived myself like that; honestly have you thought about changing your relationship with food; it's not normal to want to eat an entire of loaf of bread. By the way I am not judging, because my wife told me that she tried Jenny Craig before and when they told her she could have a whole wheat roll they were only available in a bag at Krogers; wife said she was so hungry she ate the whole bag...lol

Third party hug here for your wife. I totally get that.

We shop at (USA) Lidl. You can buy individual rolls, and we get exactly what we need. No more, no less.
  • flowergirl829
    flowergirl829 Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 31
    Options

Third party hug here for your wife. I totally get that.

We shop at (USA) Lidl. You can buy individual rolls, and we get exactly what we need. No more, no less.

I've never heard of Lidl; going to look it up; thanks! ............ Okay, unfortunately not in my area, but now I will at least look for individuals like that in other stores.

• gdlld2475
    gdlld2475 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Carbonaut bread? Its just like bread. 150cal for 2 pieces, 18 grams of carbs but 16 grams in fibre so your net carb is only 2 grams.
    Also 13 grams of protein :)

I just had it today for the first time. Satisfying sandwich!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    Although op has not returned, awesome ideas for including bread/breadlike foods shared here.

On the flip side though, if a bread is a real trigger food, sometimes a person just needs to release it and walk away, at least until it can be moderated.

Part of releasing things (which can induce grieving for the food), is to turn forward and explore other foods/recipes that are not a trigger food. The potatoes mentioned by op are a good example.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Another idea; Do you have an artisan bakery nearby? Buy a small loaf of bread. It'll likely be rather expensive. Only buy bread there, support a local business. For me, buying something expensive and special means I automatically eat less of eat and make every bit of it special. Doesn't need to work for everyone of course, but it does for me. that's how I eat chocolate and quite a few other things.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    I’ve made a Dutch Baby the past few mornings. Better than a donut or toast, and the texture is awesome. (I’m a texture eater )

I used the NYT recipe.

Easy subs:

use less butter- I used 3 tbsp instead of 4, and will try 2 next time.

Substitute margarine for butter to cut that in half yet again

Skim milk

Sucralose crystals worked perfectly

Will try experimenting with egg whites next time.

Split between 2 people, very reasonable calories.

Satisfies that bread/ flaky light pastry craving.
  • kellerj272
    kellerj272 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Aunt Millie's Live Carb bread. The slices are low in calories and carbs. They also make a variety of other breads such as English muffins, bagels and various kinds of breads. I really like them. Give them a try. Good Luck