Is Calorie Deficit worth the struggle?

Options
Started MFP a mth ago, plus dr prescribed weight loss medication and lost 3 kg in 2 wks but nothing since. I've stayed well under my 1200 calories each day and had a hard time eating that much clean healthy food. Since I hadn't lost further weight, I'm day 4 with using calorie deficit method. Have been doing cardio with 500 deficit each day, my calories being 650-900. Problem today is my weight up a kg. Am so hungry after exercising, stomach growling & my mood now matches. Tonight I purposely had no dinner yet hungry. Weight loss medication was working with suppressing hunger except the post workout ones and I'd have a healthy snack, but not with calorie deficit - no snacks. I could just about eat a cardboard box with a smear of sauce on it. So, in short I'm exercising like a bat out of hell & barely eating for this calorie deficit. I'm literally starving. Really can't see how this is healthy long term. Is this calorie deficit method truely worth it?????

Best Answer

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,289 Member
    edited February 5 Answer ✓
    Options
    A calorie deficit works. But what you're doing is not 'a calorie deficit', it's starving yourself, you're not eating nearly enough: even children need more than 650-900 calories per day. Let alone an adult who does exercise.

A gigantic calorie deficit = gigantic stress on your body
    And stress can cause water retention.

I'm wondering if your math is off: you do know that your body burns calories just being alive? You don't need to burn all of your food intake calories through exercise?
    Have you set up your goals on MFP? You'll get a much more reasonable calorie goal.

Answers

• Cowtown55
    Cowtown55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I re-read that & giving up on that calorie deficit method. 1200 calories with 1-2 hrs of cardio is do-able. Not 650 calories & 1100 calories burned off. Late dinner. Goodnight.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think you need to discuss diet and exercise with your doctor. I would also recommend getting some educational material recommended by the doctor.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    The phrase "calorie deficit" simply means consuming (eating and drinking) fewer calories than you expend (that's your base level to stay alive plus any additional calories required to fuel activity and exercise).

It does not require starving yourself or excessive exercise.
  • Cowtown55
    Cowtown55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All I know, via MFP site calculations, is my past 7 days is net calories of 8155, yet no weight loss again. Should be around 1.5-2kg less you would think. It's really disheartening tbh. I'm eating today & using MFP system with exercise. Calorie deficit system = no thanks.

Thankyou to all that that took the time with reply & advice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    Cowtown55 wrote: »
    All I know, via MFP site calculations, is my past 7 days is net calories of 8155, yet no weight loss again. Should be around 1.5-2kg less you would think. It's really disheartening tbh. I'm eating today & using MFP system with exercise. Calorie deficit system = no thanks.

Thankyou to all that that took the time with reply & advice.

When you cut calories that far and over-exercise, as you've been doing, you add a bunch of water retention because of the extreme, extreme stress you've put on your body. That hides fat loss, which is certainly happening if your calorie reports are accurate.

Essentially, you've set yourself up to fail: Cut too hard, it's unsustainable, too much stress, scale fails to drop or even goes up due to stress-related water weight gain, get discouraged quit.

None of the extreme stuff you're doing is necessary to lose weight. You burn calories just being alive, more calories doing daily life stuff (job, home chores, etc.), even more calories on top of that from exercise. Eat reasonably fewer calories than the total of those, and you'll lose weight.

A sensible calorie deficit is 100% worth it, IME. I lost weight at a good rate eating 1600-2000 calories (with exercise), and it wasn't particularly painful. They payoff from being at a healthy weight (for 7+ years since loss) has been a really big quality of life improvement.

The harder you make it, the more likely it won't work.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Girl, stop!! That pace is unsustainable and UNHEALTHY. Use the MFP calculators to determine how many calories to eat and stay at a deficit without exercise, then adjust per your timeline and your interest in exercise (I love to walk and jog).

The hunger will win unless you develop an eating disorder, and that is a nightmare NOT worth living. BTDT.

You have to accept that weight loss takes time. 1 lb a week is sustainable (2 if you re more than 100 lbs over weight, but it's not sustainable at 2 lbs/ week for ever). And at around 25 lbs, you may have to live with 0.5 lb/week loss. Do the math. 1 lb a week is 52 lbs in a year. And that's if you are always consistent, so being realistic, a sustainable loss that teaches you how to eat after goal and remain without gaining isn't going to be faster than 1lb/week AT BEST.

Settle in for the long haul. Find what satisfies you for the LONG HAUL. I have to buy my treats or I will binge. I have to eat what I find filling or I will binge. And that means finding foods that satisfy my hunger AND need for taste and texture. Experiment. I know I do better with BIG salads in the warmer months, more beans, tuna, and even chicken in the colder months (I'm not big on eating tuna and chicken, but I'm just too hungry in cool weather without them).

Remember it is about lifestyle and good health; that makes the long haul more attractive. And try to move more--I add so many steps now b/c I PREFER to park farther and walk, or whatever. Every step to me is a "moment of peace of mind."

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing after you make adjustments.