Vegan Protein Powders

Options
What's your favorite vegan protein powder? 'm looking for one that is sugar-free but doesn't have any artificial ingredients.
Thanks!
Tagged:

Replies

• sjfit205
    sjfit205 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like this brand all the flavors are good they also have a sample pack with all the flavors to try before you commit to the larger bag.
    https://justmovesupplements.com/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I struggled with this question.

Pretty much all protein powders are highly processed, i.e., have had things removed from them to concentrate the proteins - they're refined foods, as it were. In one sense, that's inherently "artificial" even if derived from something like soy, peas, rice. For example, soy protein isolate is typically dehydrated, ground, chemically treated.

If you want to avoid or minimize artificial foods, can you increase protein via food? Edamame, tempeh? Even tofu is in some ways less highly processed than protein powder.

If you don't mind that, soy protein or a protein blend that is essential amino acid (EAA ) complete would be best, maybe.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited February 12
    Options
    I use NOW organic pea protein, Form protein, Sunwarrior and a real good one is Naked pea protein.
  • Freia110671
    Freia110671 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good afrernoon.
    I am fairly new. Could anyone tell me...a protein shake is that just added as a meal or extra so you reach the calorie level you need?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Good afrernoon.
    I am fairly new. Could anyone tell me...a protein shake is that just added as a meal or extra so you reach the calorie level you need?

It can be added as a meal, or added to a meal (in MFP).

It isn't really to reach the calorie level you need, for most people. It's to reach the protein level a person needs. If you're getting adequate protein from food, there's no need to drink protein shakes. If you're not getting enough protein from food, protein shakes increase protein at relatively low calories (compared to food sources). Most people find protein filling.

If you're getting enough protein already, but not able eat enough to get adequate calories, it may make more sense to eat something that's calorie dense but not very filling, such as nuts, nut butters, avocados, extra olive oil or butter in cooking or as a topping, etc.

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    edited February 19
    Options
    Pumpkin seed powder! 1 ingredient only. 20 grams protein. I also like it for the extra iron and zinc.

You don’t even have to buy the powder.. just toss pumpkin seeds in the blender and pulverize.

md93qum1tx6e.jpeg
    bp99qvrb8491.jpeg
  • zondramiller
    zondramiller Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have used Vega it's a plant based protein powder. I use a scoop in a lot of recipes, not just for shakes. For me, it's how I can get protein into my daily meals. https://myvega.com/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    Pumpkin seed powder! 1 ingredient only. 20 grams protein. I also like it for the extra iron and zinc.

You don’t even have to buy the powder.. just toss pumpkin seeds in the blender and pulverize.

md93qum1tx6e.jpeg
    bp99qvrb8491.jpeg

Yeah, I don't think grinding whole seeds is going to result in that protein content. Looks like around 5 g's per ounce and about 13g's of fat. Plus there's no fat in their product so I suspect the product their selling is not just simply ground pumpkin seeds and not sure you can get that result from a kitchen, which is their selling story that their product comes from their kitchen and not a lab. They describe their product as "cold pressed" but that is for extracting the oil. Facts are a pain in the butt I guess, but most people will buy into it I suspect.