Protein requirements after exercise

Options
I am 63M and noticed that the app adds 50g of protein to the day's nutritional requirements because I burnt around 1000 calories on a bike ride. That means the app thinks my total intake today should be 138g of protein, which is a lot! Does that sound right?

Best Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited February 8 Answer ✓
    Options
    138g isn't really a lot.

Anyway, the app didn't only add to your protein. It added 1,000 calories to your day, then split those by whatever macro ratios you set up for protein, carbs and fats.

It's a better idea to aim for a specific protein goal in grams per day, relative to your weight, age, condition, goals, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, exactly. Most people in the nutritional space and especially for people that exercise regularly advocate anywhere from 0.8 to 1.2 grams per pound of lean mass or what your ideal body weight might be. It's actually vital when we age that we try to maintain our muscle mass and increase it if we can, so don't underestimate what protein can do for you. I'm 70 187lbs right now and I'm around 200 g's. and at the moment trying to add some muscle.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    I am 63M and noticed that the app adds 50g of protein to the day's nutritional requirements because I burnt around 1000 calories on a bike ride. That means the app thinks my total intake today should be 138g of protein, which is a lot! Does that sound right?

I agree with the idea that it's better to set a goal in grams. The MFP goals aren't a bad starting point for most people, but that can differ if athletically active, aging, vegan/vegetarian, and in some other cases. Unless you're quite small in stature, 138g isn't a lot for a male, IMO.

The gram goal (if adequate) doesn't need to increase with exercise, though some people prefer to time some protein around lifting or other strength-challenging workouts. (I agree that there's some research support for that, but feel like getting enough protein through the day routinely is a higher-priority goal.)

Probably the bigger problem in this scenario IMO is that (I infer) your basic protein goal is only 88g of protein, when you're apparently very active (1000 calories of bike is a good bit, if accurate), and you're 60+ (when we may need a little more protein because we can metabolize it less efficiently).

I'm 68, active, F, 5'5", low/mid 130s pounds, and target 100g minimum, usually get more (average maybe 120g), as a vegetarian. That's in maintenance; it was a little lower during loss with reduced calories, but usually over that 88 even then.

These links are a research-based protein view from an outfit that's generally regarded as neutral (doesn't sell supplements, at least):

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

This is IMO a good information resource for those of us 60+:

https://www.jamda.com/article/S1525-8610(13)00326-5/fulltext

The basic idea is that we will do best getting ample protein, and that it's more important for us to spread it through the day, rather than concentrating most of it in one meal.

If you're struggling to get that much protein, this might help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

If you're here trying to lose weight (as many are), there's a tiny bonus to getting more protein: It takes slightly more energy to digest/metabolize than carbs or fats. Numerically, it's small, but it's a thing.

Best wishes!

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Doesn't take a lot to reach 138g of protein in a day...

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup oatmeal, 2 sausage: 33g

Lunch: Chopped side salad with 4 oz grilled chicken and 2oz ranch dressing: 40g

Dinner: 6 oz steak, baked potato with sour cream, and cup of broccoli: 59g

That's 132g of protein for only 1337 calories, meaning you have lots of room leftover to add bread at meals, snacks, desserts, or increase portion sizes. This doesn't even include protein shakes!

This thread contains a large variety of protein sources you can select from.