Happy to help

Options
A little about me

I was overweight growing up, you name a diet and I’ve tried it! I’ve been through it all and came out the other side

I become a personal trainer 8 years ago and helped over a thousand people lose weight, over the years I found my niche which is women between the ages of 30-55.

Last year I stopped personal training and became an online coach where I packaged all the information and experience over the years of personal training into an online program with a private support group.

I’m on a mission to help as many people as possible break free of the frustrating fad diets and yo yo weight fluctuations.

All my clients use this app and I recently stumbled across this community full of people that need guidance and support.

See me as your very own fitness google, I’m here to over as much advice and support as possible 😌

Replies

• smokieriver
    smokieriver Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I certainly would like some help.

I've lost enough weight and know looking a bit frail and skinny.

I was told (vaguely) to eat more protein and start lifting.

1) So, how exactly do we count protein amount (and whatever else I need?), say, from a 1-lb rib eye steak?

2) What lifting routine is recommended for a starter?

Again, thank you so much.
  • smokieriver
    Options

1) So, how exactly do we count protein amount (and whatever else I need?), say, from a 1-lb rib eye steak?

Sounds like an incoming fake conversation...

Oh, really? free help is too good to be true around here, eh? ok thanks.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    m2f5r8gcjc wrote: »
    See me as your very own fitness google, I’m here to over as much advice and support as possible 😌

How much $$ do you charge?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I become a personal trainer 8 years ago and helped over a thousand people lose weight

Genuine question, what does personal training have to do with dieting or nutrition? Just in case I don’t hear back, I’ll check.

I just looked it up and a personal trainer is an expert in physical fitness and exercise, you can receive that certification in 4 weeks.

A dietician must first earn a minimum of a bachelor’s degree by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) and receive a verification statement from a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD). Many people complete a degree in clinical nutrition, dietetics or public health nutrition that includes a DPD. In addition they complete 1,200 hours in an internship under the supervision of a licensed professional, combined with undergraduate or graduate studies. After passing the CPD a dietitian can also help diagnose and treat illnesses. Wow, didn’t know it was that extensive! Fun fact, they do not need any experience in personal training.

It appears a dietitian and a personal trainer are two very different things.

Using your expertise in personal training is helpful for those retaining and building muscle and using proper form and technique. I imagine that being very useful here!

Using your personal experience with weight loss can also be useful here. That’s all you really need tbh.

But using your personal training credentials to act as an expert in weight loss is pretty irrelevant. Most people here are not dieticians and they offer very helpful and free advice without mentioning their field of certification or study, know what I mean? Even a doctor has limited nutrition knowledge, but likely more than a personal trainer.

I guess I just don’t understand how you know more about dieting and nutrition than an accountant who had to take 1 semester at their University in physics and nutrition or chemistry?

This is why it can seem like an advertisement, I hope that makes sense. If you’re truly here to give life experience or share factoids, I really enjoy that and look forward to your insight.

Oh, and btw, I’m an Architect so let me know if you need any help repairing your car 😆. Jk Jk. I had to.
    I have a Certification in Nutrition from ACE, but it's not something that I advise on regularly because there are so many different variables in people.
    I focus more on Fitness and exercise and have for the 13 years I've been on here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    I have a Certification in Nutrition from ACE, but it's not something that I advise on regularly because there are so many different variables in people.
    I focus more on Fitness and exercise and have for the 13 years I've been on here.

I know, I really love your posts. You’ve personally helped me this past year (without knowing it) several times lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »

Sounds like an incoming fake conversation...

Oh, really? free help is too good to be true around here, eh? ok thanks.

Though free help of many kinds isn't uncommon around here, often those that mention offering services aren't offering free help but rather advertising. I can't say if that is the case with the OP here or not, but it happens often. There used to be some long term fitness gurus that would offer free help, but over the years many of them have moved on.

The reply by @nossmf above is a good starting point for your questions. If you provide more details to what you want to accomplish regarding your fitness then often people can respond with more specific suggestions.
    Still here!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

@ninerbuff, you - and your valuable contributions here for *years* now - are a big reason why my PP that mentioned "long term fitness gurus that would offer free help" said "many of them have moved on" rather than "all of them have moved on". I appreciate that you don't push sales, too. Good model for how to be, IMO.

I hope the OP here will stick around and be a valuable contributor to the Community, too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Really? Come off it with all the sweet talk peops!

Not going to say the dude doesn't sound like he could make sense, because he does.

But It will take at least helpful post 100 without taking it private before i would reconsider my immediate reaction

Heck I'll even take 50 individually crafted answers...
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    m2f5r8gcjc wrote: »
    A lot of my clients use MFP and I just stumbled across the community side and could see a lot of people needing help, yes I have a program but I’m not selling it to anyone here and I don’t want anyone to reach out asking about it I just genuinely want to help people in my spare time, I understand the negative feed back as I’m guessing a lot of people have tried advertising things here

The reason I spoke about my history is to show people I have a lot of experience in the areas they are struggling with that’s all and I’m not just some average bloke giving out random information

I don’t claim to be a nutritionist, I’m just someone that’s struggled myself and have helped thousands of others that have struggled finally overcome there weight problems

I didn’t realise I had to prove myself to gain acceptance from the OGs in here haha
    the proof of your expertise will be how your opinions on things translate over time. You are no different than the other regular posters so a hubristic approach is not necessary.

There is a wealth of sage advice here so yours if in fact it is sage will just be another opinion

• smokieriver
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    This thread contains a variety of lifting programs you can select from, including several aimed at beginners who have never lifted before. Some require access to a gym, some need only dumbbells (or a homemade equivalent) you can do from home, there's even some which involve only bodyweight.

Per the USDA, a 3-oz ribeye steak contains about 20g of protein. This thread lists a large variety of foods along with their relevant protein content, suitable for any eating pattern you may adopt (paleo, vegan, omnivore, etc).

How much protein you need is highly personal, based on how much you weigh and what your goals are (maintain muscle while losing weight, add muscle, etc). A good rule of thumb is probably start with 100g of protein per day, preferably spread across your meals rather than all in a single meal. (But don't listen to those who say "limit protein to 20g per meal or it's wasted". It's not wasted, just maybe not ideal.)

Thank you. There seems to be alot of info. I'll take my time to go through it. Appreciate your helps.