Plateau

Options
I started this month at 199 and I’m still at 199! It’s so frustrating. I have fell within calorie goals all but one day it seams my weight just won’t budge. On the plus side my pants are getting loose and I broke down and joined a gym today.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    Did you start your weight loss journey at the beginning of February, or did you start earlier and only now not seeing progress on the scale?

3 weeks is still early days. If you've added (or increased) exercise, water retention could be causing the lack of progress on the scale. Other possible culprits: constipation, water retention due to hormonal fluctuations, stress,...
    Looser pants indicate you are losing bodyfat, so just be patient. It isn't a true plateau until 6 to 8 weeks of no progress with the same routine (or 2 menstrual cycles if applicable).

PS not sure how to interpret 'broke down and joined a gym today' as if a gym is something bad?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Pants loose is good. Things are working and something good is happening.

Gym is also good in terms of achieving long term health. Just as much as looser pants are good in terms of achieving meaningful fat reduction.

But the goodness of the gym is not always reflected immediately and on demand, especially on one's scale, any more than the loose pants are.
  • gwmjaz
    gwmjaz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    3 weeks on and no pounds lost is no indication of progress. Loose clothing definitely is !!
    I started Nov 25, didn't notice much difference for the first month, but now all my clothing is looser, I may have to buy new jeans soon. I don't use a scale because I don't want to obsess over every half pound loss, but I can tell I'm progressing. I saved some size 10 pants from previous weight loss and when I can fit into them, I'll know I've achieved my goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time with the same clothing? For instance if you weighed in the morning at 199 then a week later you weighed in after dinner with more clothing and still weighed 199, believe it or not you likely lost weight since food and more clothing would make you weigh more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Plateau or no plateau? Here are the basic factors

-wait 4-6 weeks at a certain calorie amount
    -always weigh first thing in the morning after peeing.
    -understand loss isn’t linear, some days you may weigh more than the day before, usually because of higher carbs the day before
    -no change after 4-6 weeks your weekly calories are too high, even weightlifting won’t mask this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options

-understand loss isn’t linear, some days you may weigh more than the day before, usually because of higher carbs the day before
    -no change after 4-6 weeks your weekly calories are too high, even weightlifting won’t mask this.

Good advice. That last one, though? More nuance.

Probably true if male or menopausal. Maybe not true for women not yet menopausal, especially at the 4 weeks end of that range. OP's profile says "female".

At a fast loss rate, one cycle may be enough to get a good picture. At the half-pound a week slow rate, I've even seen a month, maybe month-plus "stall" (that wasn't actually a stall) even in menopause. It could be worse pre-menopause, because hormonal water retention really can be that weird.

Hitting the cyclic water shifts just wrong at the start of calorie reduction can extend the time to see realistic results.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good advice. That last one, though? More nuance.

Probably true if male or menopausal. Maybe not true for women not yet menopausal, especially at the 4 weeks end of that range. OP's profile says "female".

At a fast loss rate, one cycle may be enough to get a good picture. At the half-pound a week slow rate, I've even seen a month, maybe month-plus "stall" (that wasn't actually a stall) even in menopause. It could be worse pre-menopause, because hormonal water retention really can be that weird.

Hitting the cyclic water shifts just wrong at the start of calorie reduction can extend the time to see realistic results.
    Gaining muscle is extremely slow and a fatloss diet that has any semblance of effectiveness will overshadow muscle gain especially while in a calorie deficit. Water retention will have gone after the 4-6 week marker. A woman's cycle may have an effect however after 4-6 weeks and no change not being in a deficit is more than likely the case, 8 weeks, definitely

• hawaiilife416
    hawaiilife416 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am feeling this today! Been working out, staying in the calorie goal, and clothes are much looser and I weighed today and gained 5 lbs!
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    I am feeling this today! Been working out, staying in the calorie goal, and clothes are much looser and I weighed today and gained 5 lbs!

When you weigh yourself be sure you're weighing first thing in the morning after you pee. Weighing at other times will be inaccurate as far as water weight and food or drinks you've taken in which can vary weight by pounds.
  • Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It can be so frustrating when we watch what we eat and the lbs don't drop off. I haven't lost anything this week, so I understand how you feel. Stay strong, we're all in this together!
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Dreamroper wrote: »
    It can be so frustrating when we watch what we eat and the lbs don't drop off. I haven't lost anything this week, so I understand how you feel. Stay strong, we're all in this together!
    Don't forget that loss isn't linear. You can go a few weeks with no loss and it doesn't mean you aren't still losing fat. Water retention can mask the loss.

If you've been on a downward trend and havent't upped weekly calories you're ok. Its when a month goes by with no loss that you have to be concerned. At that point you'll want to review things. After losing 10 lbs it's best to drop your calories a bit to keep losing.