Do you put your weight in MFP every time you weigh yourself?

Options
I weigh myself almost every day right before I take a shower in the morning. When I did WW I didn't put my weight in the app - I waited for the meeting. I've been hit or miss entering weights here but I'm thinking I'm going to go back to only entering once a week. What do you all do?
Tagged:

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited February 24
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher, have been for a number of years. I enter it into Garmin Connect (which sync with MFP) as well as Libra (a weight trend app that helps me see the trend beyond the daily fluctuations).

I like the data it gives me - I can see how my weight is influenced by salt, TOM and other factors, and still see my longer term evolution.

2so8mp0b1q35.jpg

But it's not for everyone, some people get stressed by it.
  • Surrealmuse
    Surrealmuse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @roadie_jay I've started a weird trend this year where I weigh myself every week. If the number goes up, I keep checking daily until it goes down. Then I log it. For some reason, it psychologically makes me feel better to visually see the weight going down than the normal ups and downs we all experience.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but the number into Libra (Android trending app). When I was losing, I put new lows into MFP. (I was losing pretty consistently, so just not messing around putting random fluctuations into MFP.) In maintenance, I don't put my weight into MFP at all.

I've tracked daily weight for years, even when not trying to lose weight. Before there was Libra, I put the daily weight on graph paper, date on X axis, weight on Y axis. (I'm not obsessed with my weight: I'm a data geek in various parts of my life, and was one professionally pre-retirement. I believe in data-based decision-making, where it's feasible.)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't enter my weight at all, but I've been maintaining for several years and have mostly stayed within my 5 pound window. I got tired of being congratulated for weight loss every time it went down when I knew that it was just part of normal fluctuation.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and I have a paper weight loss journal that I post it in along with challenges for the day and reasons for overeating. It goes back 5 years and gives me insight into reasons for the fluctuations and historical data. That’s how I spotted the stress/binge cycle.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week on Saturdays under the same circumstances and log the average on the last Saturday of each month.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You need to do what works for you.
    I weigh myself nearly daily. I write that down on a paper tracking sheet. Then I calculate the average for the week. But I infrequently put it in MFP.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use libra. Weigh every day with rare exceptions. I put my weight in MFP once when i started this account over a year ago. No reason to change it. I check my progress on libra once a month or so now that I'm losing 1-2 pounds a month. I checked more often when I was losing faster.
  • Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but tend to average the results and enter that as my 'weight'. Accounts for the fluctuations.
  • roadie_jay
    roadie_jay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like weighing every day just to keep an eye on it but I don't think I want to keep a record of it. I think I'm going to go back to just entering my weight in MFP once a week on Monday.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weight daily but I log it in Libra, not MFP. I like the graphics that Libra provides.
    I might update my weight in MFP once a month or so.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    roadie_jay wrote: »
    put my weight in the app

Oh my word. Don't "Put" your weight anywhere. Get a cheap wifi scale and just step on it, it automagically gets put anywhere you want. I stepped on the scale this morning, and though I have not looked, that number is here in MFP in the weight section for whenever I want to look at their graph.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    There you go, I looked. 241-ish this morning.
    --
    a997t0mvqdkc.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    I weigh every day or two, and my Bluetooth scale syncs with MFP.

I find having a good food and weight log database helps me detect changes and trends. I know which days of the week are my lowest and highest weights, and usually why. I can look at periods before and after travel and know that my weight will be considerably higher after a trip, and how long I can expect the cabin pressure water “weight” to evaporate. I can look at seven day averages and see, for example, my recent averages are trending quite high- yet my weight is maintaining, or even dropping, and can easily correlate that to number of steps or exercise calories going up.

An accurate database has been an invaluable tool along the way. So for me, daily weigh-ins are just a tool.

Like someone above mentioned, I turned off share notifications. Everyone doesn’t need to know if I’ve lost the same pound three times a week, or when I’ve walked the dog for the fifth time that day.

My $20 Bluetooth scale is just a tool in my loss/maintenance arsenal. It’s not a personal enemy, or a finger wagging judge of my worth.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    My $20 Bluetooth scale is just a tool in my loss/maintenance arsenal. It’s not a personal enemy, or a finger wagging judge of my worth.
    💯

I turned off my weight notifications too. Honestly I'd rather have MFP notify my friends when I've gained weight...but it won't do that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,111 Member
    Options
    No. I weigh every morning, and as the graph someone posted about showed, my weight it all over the place. I might put in my weight once a week or so. Not any more than that though.
  • roadie_jay
    roadie_jay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No. I weigh every morning, and as the graph someone posted about showed, my weight it all over the place. I might put in my weight once a week or so. Not any more than that though.

That's what I'm doing now - I'm all over the place through the week depending on how much water I'm retaining etc. I'm in a group where we log our weight once a week - I'm going to stick with that and just record my weight on Monday morning.