Weight loss goal

Options
If I start to panic when I see one huge weight loss goal, is it better to break it into lots of mini weight loss goals?

Best Answer

• Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 66 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes! Break it down into more manageable steps and it will become less daunting. It's also a smarter goal and won't be as intimidating for your mind.

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do. They are encouraged by accomplishments. Some even reward themselves for meeting a goal. Like new running shoes. Or a new shirt.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Progress by the yard is hard.
    Progress by the inch is a cinch.

Small sustainable changes over a long period of time.

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'd say definitely, and may depend on the situation.

My first go around I was in a different head space, pin-point focus, seeing a big weight loss goal actually fueled me. I had both internal and external motivations, as well as the the whole thing being new and exciting. I was literally 'high' from it.

This time around the external stimulus is not present, but there is some internal force, at least. I'm no longer considered overweight, which I am feeling great about, but this is impacting the internal force to just get on with it and lose the rest.

I've accidentally fell into maintenance mode (currently 5 months), and since I've gotten into what's considered a 'Normal' BMI, suddenly losing a whole chunk just doesn't light me up. I also checked out one of the TDEE Calculator websites and took notice of the 'ideal weight' for my age and height, and it turns out that I am not that far off. This made me reassess the 20 or so lbs that I thought I needed to lose, now looks like I have 4 lbs left.

I keep a spreadsheet outside of MFP with daily weight data, seeing the weeks/days left now on my new goal of 4 lbs left feels nice.

I'm wishing you well on your goals!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Don’t select too small of a goal as water fluctuations can easily set you back 5 lbs or more. If the goal is say, 20, just keep your eye on the prize and enjoy the smaller victories
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,217 Member
    Options
    Don't lose sight of the big goal. Don't panic either! See the forest through the trees, right?

Maybe think about what your weight loss RATE should be, and if it's a lot of weight, that rate will actually slow down. Then divide things up, perhaps, so you have milestones along the way. When I'm on the treadmill (usually just to warm up and cool down for a workout), it has prompts of "Your workout is xx% complete." Set those as milestones, but keep focused on the big goal.

Keep in mind that when you get to that big goal, and you will get there as long as you stick to it, you'll still have to keep focused. Maintaining weight loss is the same as losing weight except you get a few more calories per day/week. That ultimate goal isn't an endpoint - it is also a milestone along the way.

Remember what Warren Miller said, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older when you do." If you have to walk ten miles, you still do it one step at a time. Each step is closer to the goal, but the goal is still there.

You can find support here in the community, but it's up to YOU to follow your path, and you can do it if you want.
  • standout00
    standout00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Progress by the yard is hard.
    Progress by the inch is a cinch.

Small sustainable changes over a long period of time.

Thanks for the encouragement and support! I appreciate it a lot.
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    Options
    I set my goal in happy scale and weigh myself every day so that I can just look at the trends and not get discouraged if my weigh in day is a high fluctuation day. I broke my goals down into 15 small milestones of slightly more than 4 lbs each. It’s a very motivating way to track your progress. I try to reward myself for each milestone that I reach.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,840 Member
    Options
    I broke my loss (90 pounds) into 10 pound increments. It just made it seem more manageable. And I gave myself a little reward for each "win". Not clothes because I was shrinking out of them so fast that I did most of my clothes shopping at thrift stores haha. But something like new sunglasses, a gym bag, etc.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    standout00 wrote: »
    If I start to panic when I see one huge weight loss goal, is it better to break it into lots of mini weight loss goals?

This is such a great question, I love this. I changed my goal weight as I inched downward until I found a happy place. It definitely built my confidence and knowledge as I progressed. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,447 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    standout00 wrote: »

This is such a great question, I love this. I changed my goal weight as I inched downward until I found a happy place. It definitely built my confidence and knowledge as I progressed. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.

I like that you said you enjoyed the journey

So did I. I learned so much along the way that sometimes I kinda miss it. But there’s no way in *kitten* I’m going back just for the experience!

I broke it down into bite sized pieces cuz….best way to eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

I do the same thing swimming laps now, because it doesn’t come easy for me. 1st hundred yards is a start. 400 yards is “getting into it”. 600 is a third of a mile. And so on and so on til I finally get that mile.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    My goal and big win was to come up with a framework and process of incremental exploration and change that would allow me to point my weight level in to the direction I wanted it to head towards.

Without time limits and under the mindset of doing this today aniseed myself doing this for the next five years if not longer

The results were way better for me both in the short and long term as compared to setting either a 10lb or a 125lb goal.

And, fuller disclosure, it was only when the process had started to take shape that I changed my viewpoint from just "trying to see if I can lose some weight even if it is just the 10% that will bring some health benefits" to... hey, maybe I can aim for "normal" weight for the first time in my adult life!