How many rest days between lifting?

Options

So Normally I lift T/W, rest TH, lift F/S. However, I can't get my workout in on Friday.

Yesterday I was supposed to rest but did some trail riding on my dirtbike (motocross) for about an hour. So it's either lift today bein a lil sore, or lift 3 days in a row, off Friday, lift Saturday. Lol advice?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I'd say 48 hours between workouts, but only if they target the same muscle groups.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    It depends what the lifting was. Generally, you should want 3-4 days rest between legs, 2-3 days rest between back and chest, and 2 days for shoulders, arms and calves. You can do three days in a row, e.g. PPLPPL is popular for a weekly split, but it'll depend what your split is.

The other option is increase the volume by a set or two on each of the three days this week, and just do three days instead of four. Total weekly volume will be similar.
  • sarah_willis110
    sarah_willis110 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It depends what the lifting was. Generally, you should want 3-4 days rest between legs, 2-3 days rest between back and chest, and 2 days for shoulders, arms and calves. You can do three days in a row, e.g. PPLPPL is popular for a weekly split, but it'll depend what your split is.

The other option is increase the volume by a set or two on each of the three days this week, and just do three days instead of four. Total weekly volume will be similar.

So I do a 4 day upper/lower. If I'm missing upper (mainly chest) on Friday, what do you recommend I do? Just skip and it is what it is, try tonight even if a little worn from yesterday, or just work out 3 days in a row since arms is Tuesday? Haha thank you!!
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    You could do ULU next three days, but depending on your recovery, the second U session may not be ideal. I'd change it up. I'd do PLP next three days, then full body on Sat. Plan to equate for similar volume to your ULUL.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I would factor age into that rest time needed as well. I am in my late 50s and started lifting weights again. I used to thrive on a three day a week whole body approach where I would life say Monday, Wednesday, and Friday resting Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. However, after doing that for a couple of months, I am finding that I do need longer rest periods between workouts, so I am playing with a three day one week and two day the next. I will see how it works out for me.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    I would factor age into that rest time needed as well. I am in my late 50s and started lifting weights again. I used to thrive on a three day a week whole body approach where I would life say Monday, Wednesday, and Friday resting Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. However, after doing that for a couple of months, I am finding that I do need longer rest periods between workouts, so I am playing with a three day one week and two day the next. I will see how it works out for me.
    Mind me asking what you're doing on M/W/F? You could do full body compounds on M/F and on W do more isolation stuff for arms and shoulders, and less taxing stuff for chest and back like fly's instead of pressing, or chest supported rows.

Or it could be as simple as needing a deload week, i.e. not a week off, but a very light volume week, to recover.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    My ideal week is a 4-day upper/lower, lifting M-T and Th-F. If I know I cannot hit both Th-F, I will change the day I do go into a whole body, choosing one major lift for push, pull and legs.

If I know I cannot hit both M-T but the rest of the week looks good, I will do my normal upper/lower on the first two days that week I can go, skip Th and make F a whole body, as above.

If I'm surprised by not being able to hit one day during the week, then I simply skip that day for the week, no need to make it up.
  • sarah_willis110
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    My ideal week is a 4-day upper/lower, lifting M-T and Th-F. If I know I cannot hit both Th-F, I will change the day I do go into a whole body, choosing one major lift for push, pull and legs.

If I know I cannot hit both M-T but the rest of the week looks good, I will do my normal upper/lower on the first two days that week I can go, skip Th and make F a whole body, as above.

If I'm surprised by not being able to hit one day during the week, then I simply skip that day for the week, no need to make it up.

Can you list the exercises you do for the full body? Debating if I should just skip upper on Friday, or do a full body on Saturday.

Thanks!
  • Retroguy2000
    edited February 27
    Options
    Full body for me means no wasted time setting up, no unilateral, and no isolation.

So it might be:

Barbell hack squat aka reverse deadlift (quads).
    Take off a little weight for RDL.
    Take off a little weight for barbell row.
    DB press.

Maybe something for shoulders at the end, time and energy permitting.
  • sarah_willis110
    Options
    Full body for me means no wasted time setting up, no unilateral, and no isolation.

So it might be:

Barbell hack squat aka reverse deadlift (quads)
    Take off a little weight for RDL
    Take off a little weight for barbell row
    DB press

Maybe something for shoulders at the end, time and energy permitting.

Do you think I should just skip friday or try combine friday and saturday compound movements?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    In my case, my full-body would consist of:

Squat
    Incline Bench Press (or DB Press)
    BB Row

4 sets of each
    Do you think I should just skip friday or try combine friday and saturday compound movements?

Depends on your goals. Personally, if I hit legs once per week I consider it good enough, so if it's my second leg day at risk I may just skip it. (I always hit upper body a second time.) However, if I'm motivated, I'll do a combo as above.

If you choose to combine compound movements, I suggest limiting to a single large compound move per major muscle group, rather than trying to get 2-3 compounds for legs, 2-3 more for back, etc. You can still get a good pump from doing 3-5 sets of the one movement.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    This all depends on recovery. Intensity varies between different people. If you’re recovered you can work more frequently.

Sleep, nutrition, volume and intensity determine things.