Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Please allow us to "favourite" food items

Options
Because the database has so many duplicates, many with errors, it would be really good if we could put a flag on some entries, and have these ones come up first when searching.

Yes, they will come up in your recent/frequent list, but if you haven't had the item for a while you might have to scroll through several pages (since you can't search ONLY your past used items, which is another suggestion)

I do try to go in and report the incorrect entries when I can but it doesn't seem to really do anything.
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Without meaning to cast negativity on your reasonable suggestion, a work around might be to add particular semi-frequent foods to "My Foods" once you notice that they tend to fall off recent/frequent. (I'm not an MFP staffer, so I'm not speaking for MFP here. I'm just a longtime MFP user.)
  • BreeannaCharlesworth
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Without meaning to cast negativity on your reasonable suggestion, a work around might be to add particular semi-frequent foods to "My Foods" once you notice that they tend to fall off recent/frequent. (I'm not an MFP staffer, so I'm not speaking for MFP here. I'm just a longtime MFP user.)

Thanks, yes that's a good suggestion, I do appreciate the response. It doesn't address the heart of the issue though, I think. One of the reasons I pay for this app is to reduce the amount of manual entry that is necessary.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks, yes that's a good suggestion, I do appreciate the response. It doesn't address the heart of the issue though, I think. One of the reasons I pay for this app is to reduce the amount of manual entry that is necessary.

Absolutely - I understand. I'm not dissing your suggestion at all. :flowerforyou:

As a general observation, I agree with you that there are certain changes that could increase efficiency. As a long-time user (almost 9 years steady MFP-ing), I also feel like some of these things become less difficult or annoying after learning more about using the various features that do exist, like Meals, My Foods, Recipes. That's not a way of saying MFP couldn't/shouldn't be improved, though!

I've reached the point where I can almost predict the names to search for to find the food database entries that came from USDA at MFP's initial start-up, and most of those are very accurate. (They have names only a bureaucrat could love, like "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted" or "Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average", and the default serving size is often "1 Cup" (but there are other more useful quantities in the serving drop-down list, including both weights and volumes, sometimes sizes).) They're usually green-checked, but not always; they never have "USDA" in the title.

It would be great if MFP would adopt your suggestion, but even if they do, it would take some time to implement. That's why I suggested the work-around, recognizing that it's only a work-around.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 728 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you for this suggestion! I understand the pain point you're referring to here, and know that I have just passed along your feedback to our internal team.