Vyvanse

Options
Dia_R
Dia_R Posts: 29 Member
I saw the doctor today for a routine follow-up appointment. She was pleased that my weight was down 7 pounds from last month. I am officially pre-diabetic, so we discussed medications to help me with weight management. She said most insurance companies won't approve Ozempic unless you are diabetic, which would have been her first choice. She prescribed Vyvanse, which is approved for Binge Eating Disorder and tends to depress appetite and reduce impulsive eating. She wants me to stop by and weigh monthly at her office, for monitoring. And of course, she wants me to continue to log my intake and be active. It is hard to stay motivated.

Replies

• Dia_R
    Options
    Thank you for that feedback. And as a therapist, I’ve said it myself that motivation is overrated. We make good choices and act on them, whether or not we feel motivated at the time.

I am hoping that I can overcome the poor choices though. The ones that draw me to spend all evening on the couch watching tv with a bag of chips, after a long workday.

The first day on vyvanse of course tells very little, with the placebo effect. But I drank a lot more water yesterday, and had zero impulse to overeat. It was easy to stay within my goal calories without cravings. So if that’s from the medication, I’ll count the W, placebo or not. I don’t expect a pill to make me lose weight. But I know my own good decisions will accomplish that!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, you would expect to feel more energetic even if you weren't taking the medication.

You could add some movement to your day by structuring the day to include it.

I am taking 5 to 10 minute walk around the block to start.

If crashing on the couch literally means that, which I know it does for a lot of us, consider just going for a nap in bed instead. Or going for a (short) walk before crashing...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 2
    Options
    Let's see if I remember correctly: I believe there was a former poster here who started Vyvanse for her ADHD and found a side effect was that it helped tremendously with her BED.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    As you lose weight, you would expect to feel more energetic even if you weren't taking the medication.

If crashing on the couch literally means that, which I know it does for a lot of us, consider just going for a nap in bed instead. Or going for a (short) walk before crashing...

Also, if electing to watch TV with a snack, I'd recommend getting out a small dish, putting a single serving of chips (or whatever) in the dish, and putting the bag of chips away in the cupboard before heading for the couch. Sure, a person could go back for a second serving . . . but they have to affirmatively decide to. ;):D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    Dia_R wrote: »
    Thank you for that feedback. And as a therapist, I’ve said it myself that motivation is overrated. We make good choices and act on them, whether or not we feel motivated at the time.

I am hoping that I can overcome the poor choices though. The ones that draw me to spend all evening on the couch watching tv with a bag of chips, after a long workday.

The first day on vyvanse of course tells very little, with the placebo effect. But I drank a lot more water yesterday, and had zero impulse to overeat. It was easy to stay within my goal calories without cravings. So if that’s from the medication, I’ll count the W, placebo or not. I don’t expect a pill to make me lose weight. But I know my own good decisions will accomplish that!

When I don't get enough protein, I can eat and eat and eat food like chips and never feel full. Try making sure you have a plan for a balanced meal when you get home. I cook on the weekends and have either leftovers or quick dishes like egg-based meals during the work week.

When you do have chips, do portion them out then put the bag out of sight:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Also, if electing to watch TV with a snack, I'd recommend getting out a small dish, putting a single serving of chips (or whatever) in the dish, and putting the bag of chips away in the cupboard before heading for the couch. Sure, a person could go back for a second serving . . . but they have to affirmatively decide to. ;):D
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My youngest takes Vyvanse for her ADHD and is going to be talking to her pychiatrist about changing it because it makes her forget to eat. She is a freshman college student, so loads of walking, so she really has to make sure she is eating enough.
  • Dia_R
    Options
    a4xb3bwpia19.jpeg

In the month I’ve been taking it, I’ve gone from 269 to 263.3, which seems to me to be healthy progress. Moreover I’ve felt good, energetic and motivated.