FDA approves GLP1 drug Wegovy for heart disease risk reduction

Options
glp1curious
glp1curious Posts: 10 Member
It looks like there are even more benefits to GLP1 drugs (ozempic, wegovy, etc)... I wonder if the shortages will get even worse than they are now.

https://glp1.guide/content/news-fda-approves-wegovy-for-reducing-heart-risk/

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Jusr today saw a report on shortages, and that it is not covered by some insurance plans including medicare and medicaid, leaving people to pay out of pocket. Some can use discount/coupons, but even discounted, paying $500 and up.

A few days ago, saw a report drug companies ramping up production, but have to wonder what actual cost to make drug is compared to price charged.

and, 3rd, seeing ads from attorneys regarding injury from use.

So is there truly heart/cardio risk reduction? Is it safe.

Is it lifetime use to prevent regain?
    Or, is it a drug you can't stop abruptly and need to ease off?
    -- i would be concerned if it creates a chemical dependency. Can't seem to find definitive info on that yet.

• glp1curious
    glp1curious Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    > and, 3rd, seeing ads from attorneys regarding injury from use.

The negative effects are quite well studied at this point -- I think gastroparesis and digestive tracts are the biggest ones. In general these should only be taken after a consultation with a doctor so they SHOULD be prepping people for the possible side effects.

> So is there truly heart/cardio risk reduction? Is it safe.

Really hard to find things that are absolutely safe with NO side effects whatsoever, and the FDA *can* make mistakes... But there's lots of trials and research around GLP1 drugs.

> Is it lifetime use to prevent regain?
    > Or, is it a drug you can't stop abruptly and need to ease off?

From what I've seen you can stop at any point you want, though the cravings will return and that causes weight regain. The studies (trial extensions usually) that have tracked weight regain have seen something like 6% of the lost body weight staying off long term after stopping.

The people that did the best seem to be the ones that upped their physical activity levels/changed their diets while on the drugs.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Recently heard tv reports that shortages continue, and some insurance is pulling back coverage.

On the flipside, diet industry programs seem to be ramping up.
    - MFP just announced a free program in the app...

-- An excerpt from a person behind the article "The weight loss industry is rapidly growing with GLP-1s leading the charge, yet comprehensive semaglutide nutritional guidance remains scarce. It’s crucial for individuals on these medications to have access to tailored nutrition and lifestyle strategies. At MyFitnessPal, we’re filling that gap.”
    /end excerpt

The MFP article:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/semaglutide-nutrition-plan-by-myfitnesspal/?_gl=1*1lc6och*_ga*MTg3ODMyNjkwLjE3MDQ4NDU3NjQ.*_ga_VG80VV73C6*MTcxNDQ4NjQ4My42NjkuMS4xNzE0NDk5NTEwLjAuMC4w

Imagine we will see ramped up programs throughout the billions dollar diet industry.