Did anyone watch Oprah Monday night? Shame, blame and the weightloss revolution.

Options
BCLadybug888
BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,281 Member
I did! What did you think? I think that Dr's and pharmacies will be swarmed this week with new hopeful patients. Oprah looked great (she turned 70 recently!) and clearly supports medications for those with the disease of Obesity. Felt it was a little short on content, guess I would've wanted 2 hours (special was 1 hour).

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    sr2587 wrote: »
    it’s really simple. Just eat foods that aren’t processed, and work your body regularly, unless you have a physical job, then you get a bonus, and don’t need a gym! There’s really no need for pharmaceutical companies to give advice on how to be “healthy “. Just my opinion.

I didn’t watch the Oprah show.
    However, I don’t think it is always as easy as you say.

Scientists have been studying “refractory obesity” for decades.
    Yes, some people just aren’t very careful when logging their diet. And others overeat for a variety of reasons.

Yes good nutrition is important, but not always easy to access. (No I don’t want to debate this point here)

But there is some very interesting and new information that strongly suggests for some people hormones that they have no control over have a significant impact.

Those hormones are what are being targeted by the new class of weight loss/ blood sugar control drugs.

Here’s a link to Oprah’s own words on it.

https://time.com/6958224/oprah-weight-loss-special-ozempic/

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    I wish the ppl posting all these “pull up your bootstraps and have some discipline” comments would actually WATCH the episode before posting. The show literally addresses what you are saying and why you are wrong - you are literally shaming without educating yourself. Seriously - go watch the show bc you do not understand this subject.

I don’t think anyone was shaming. Just sharing a different insight/opinion - I’m glad the medicine is helping you
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 969 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    @fuzzylolipop
    hmmm...I'm not seeing any shaming comments. Shaming would be telling others that they HAVE to lose weight to be accepted in society.

However, saying that for the majority of overweight/obese people, medication is really unnecessary is not in any way shaming. And just as a reminder, Oprah is an extremely wealthy celebrity and not a Dr. or a psychologist.

I suspect most people who are going to be taking this drug are probably going to be the same ones going crazy for botox, not people who really need it.

What happens when you stop taking Ozempic?
    https://youtu.be/_rXANcA01C0?si=1lPl2ckZmP69NVH8
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 969 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    @fuzzylolipop
    I'm sorry! I'm not understanding your logic.

I did say * I think it's worth the hard work it takes to lose weight without medicine. if you're able to succeed, it is character building and beneficial in other areas of your life. *
    Self improvement-striving to be the best person you can be- often does take hard work, determination, and yes a bit of integrity! (& does not even have to involve losing weight at all.)
    However, I also added * I believe there are a few people who need medications. * Thereby acknowledging the small percentage who are overweight because of medical conditions.
    *Most people who take them don't. *
    This is my main point.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    I believe the "blame" part in the title refers to people failing to lose weight & becoming obese (they have themselves to blame) and the "shame" part in the title refers to people being successful with the use of medication (taking the easy way out).

The 'revolution' may be the change in thinking of obesity being a disease itself, not just contributing to other diseases, and for at least some individuals, the hormone imbalance treatable by medication.

To be clear - although the medications help with appetite & reducing food thoughts, the "hard work" must still be done of eating less and moving more - no magic wand.

And yes, these drugs were developed to treat Diabetes and then weight loss was observed. This would not be even close to the first time that a medication had more than one application, or was found to be effective treatment for conditions other than what it was first created for.
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    I wonder if we, as a community, believe that Obesity is a disease?
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Thing is Ozempic wasn't developed for weight loss but diabetes. The side effect was killing appetite. And of course if one isn't eating more than they burn, they'll lose weight.
    As with any drug, there will be side effects and one has the weigh the actual good with the bad.
    From my personal standpoint with health and fitness and being in the industry for decades, people who get to obese levels deal with a lot of personal issues that may have caused them to overeat to help overcome the feelings of sadness, anxiety, etc. While the drug may stave off hunger, I think it's much more important to address the issues that help to cause the overeating.
    I've had a few clients who had weight loss surgeries, but really didn't address their reasons why and some that supplanted their behavior with food, moved on with something else because they couldn't eat anymore. Some went to alcohol, and another to gambling.
    While today's medical help is amazing in what it can help with, health and physical fitness by the person will be the deciding factor if weight is regained or if a person relapses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I respect your experience re: being a personal trainer.

However I would like to highlight the fact that this class of drugs is relatively new, and is showing very real positive benefits for people beyond weight loss or blood sugar control.

One example that’s close to me is non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

The cause of NAFLD is unknown.
    Although most doctors assume it’s obesity.
    However when I was first diagnosed I wasn’t fat (yet)

Fatty liver disease has some comorbidity with weight, T2 diabetes, and insulin resistance. But it’s looking like there’s an underlying hormonal problem that comes first and ties these issues together, rather than the other way around.

Current research suggests that semaglutides reverse and perhaps even cure NAFLD.

I am not disputing the importance of regular exercise and a good, nutritious diet. While there are complex discussions to be had about those aspects of health, in general the science is clear that those are beneficial.

I’m just pointing out that for many, it isn’t enough. Historically those people have often been written off as lazy and/or noncompliant with diet guidelines.
    It’s looking like there’s another important piece to consider.

I think it’s a good thing to include medications as needed, and under advice of a qualified medical professional.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    An Oprah special that sparks conversation and research is great. If you are forming conclusive opinions either way based on the special then 😕. People are complicated. I do know this… once you call something a disease the remedy of medication 💊 💉 is logical. These medications are new. There is no long term data yet. There are serious side effects. The weight comes back when you stop taking a GLP-1. There are also people with an agenda 💰 that want obesity labeled as a disease to induce the medication

I approve this message
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited March 20
    Options
    An Oprah special that sparks conversation and research is great. If you are forming conclusive opinions either way based on the special then 😕. People are complicated. I do know this… once you call something a disease the remedy of medication 💊 💉 is logical. These medications are new. There is no long term data yet. There are serious side effects. The weight comes back when you stop taking a GLP-1. There are also people with an agenda 💰 that want obesity labeled as a disease to induce the medication

Obesity is definitely a medical issue.
    If medication is helpful there should be no shame about using it.
    Even long term.

The long term effects of obesity, as well as diabetes, and fatty liver disease are well known

Why not use the tools available to assist weight loss, blood sugar levels, or the other issues this new class of drugs seems to help people with?

If I stop taking metformin my blood glucose rises. If I stop taking my thyroid meds my metabolism tanks and I gain a lot of weight very quickly.

Modern medicine is very effective and important. Shaming people for taking medication that has been prescribed by a person’s doctor doesn’t help anyone.
  • fuzzylolipop
    fuzzylolipop Posts: 4 Member
    Options

If obesity is a disease, wouldn’t that infer people who have the disease control their calories but still gain weight (or can’t lose weight)? I’ve never heard of any research that concludes this. But I have heard of mountains of research showing a calorie deficit results in weight loss.

Semiglutide has been approved in the US since 2017. They have been researching and working w GLP-1 drugs since 2005 - so 20 years.