What should I eat for far loss

Options
U

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Assuming you mean "fat loss" . . . any foods you enjoy, find affordable and practical, that keep you reasonably full and happy, and add up to appropriate calories. Bonus if the food choices average out to good overall nutrition over a day or few.

Calories are the direct determinant of weight loss. Nutrition can affect loss indirectly, through fatigue (move less, burn fewer calories) or appetite (get crave-y, it's hard to stick to calorie goal). The direct effect is still calories.

The idea that there are "diet foods", "good foods/bad foods", "superfoods" . . . mostly nonsense.

Consider this as one possible approach:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't be perfect for everyone. (No one approach is universally ideal: Beware of people who claim there is a universal answer!) That's just one approach to consider.

Best wishes for success: The effort is worth it, in improved quality of life!

• Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    To be honest - at this stage, get used to working with MFP, counting calories and finding foods that keep you satisfied and within your calorie limit. Some foods are more calorie dense than others (think of chocolate v. veggies/fruit) so try to focus on healthy foods that are lower calories but will fill you better. Also, worth starting to think about nutrition value - obviously, something loaded with sugar will be a lot less beneficial (and nutritious, often time) than something filled with healthy ingredients.

Weightless isn't a "one-size-fits-all" thing so you will have to experiment and find what works for you the best and what foods work for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    For fat lose you'll need to prioritize protein intake specifically to avoid muscle loss as well as that fat loss, unless that's not a priority and are just looking to drop some weight, and if that's the case, then just consume less calories then you burn. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    I started on MFP in a confused haze. The haze clears. May take a month or two or three, though, to get in the rhythm of the app.

One of the best things I did was log a few days of what I had been eating before starting, for an idea of what calories I’d consumed on an average day. To say I was shocked doesn’t even begin to express it.

When I started logging, I only knew the popular idea of “good” versus “bad” foods. By logging religiously, I was able to see where my calories were clustered, cut some serving sizes back, and shuffle others.

I still do that to this day, 3+ years into maintenance. It’s one of many useful habits I developed here and in the wild to help me keep my weight level once I reached goal.

Your choices may be different than mine. For example I love rice and couscous, but culturally, they’re not something I “have” to have. So I may have half a serving. My husband, also on MFP, grew up on and “has” to have cornbread once in a while. He fits it in.

I need a good chocolate OD once in a while, so it’s built into my calories. Or, I find acceptable substitutes like a chocolate protein smoothie, or a homemade sugar free chocolate peanut butter ice cream. (Already pre-logged for tomorrow).

Pre-logging will also provide you with information in advance and help you to stay on track.

Also strongly suggest a fitness tracker. Finally understanding the correlation between cost of calories consumed versus calories “burned” via exercise was most definitely a come to Jesus moment for me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    For things that I have lost - I always find them in the last place I look.