DOMS question and advice on progressing

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
I've just started a training program with a PT,and she's great. Did lower body on Wednesday, upper body pull on Saturday.

Both programs I was pushing myself (and she was pushing me) but nothing I felt beyond my capability.

But holy mother of Jod, the DOMS. They're killing me.

The legs DOMS are still lingering today, being Monday.

The bicep DOMS are keeping me awake at night and interfering with daily life.

I feel like I hurt a LOT more than I should. Do I just need to take it far easier even though, at the time of lifting, I feel perfectly capable of the weight I'm lifting? Am I just a snowflake? Lol

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    IME, DOMS can be pretty big for the first couple/few sessions of a new (or greatly increased) activity, but will settle down to a tolerably dull roar if one continues the same work (or a sensible progression thereof). Putting it another way, DOMS is kind of like the extra impact from going uphill on the on-ramp to a new/more intense routine. Once on the highway, the discomfort penalty may be less.

Hydration, sleep, stretching, mild exercise on the off days, maybe Epsom salts bath, icing and later heat, . . . maybe some relief. For sure, for me, sitting still when it hurts makes the hurt last longer/more intensely, vs. moving/stretching some to loosen things up.

Just my experiential opinion, though - may not be true for others.

Best wishes!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal at first OP. You'll probably feel it less each week, and a few weeks from now you may be doing more volume (sets x reps) than now, with little or no DOMS.

Ann's tips may help, but the main thing is time. You'll be fine.

Note for the future, while DOMS feels like a sign you've had a good workout, no DOMS does not mean you didn't.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    IME, DOMS can be pretty big for the first couple/few sessions of a new (or greatly increased) activity, but will settle down to a tolerably dull roar if one continues the same work (or a sensible progression thereof). Putting it another way, DOMS is kind of like the extra impact from going uphill on the on-ramp to a new/more intense routine. Once on the highway, the discomfort penalty may be less.

Hydration, sleep, stretching, mild exercise on the off days, maybe Epsom salts bath, icing and later heat, . . . maybe some relief. For sure, for me, sitting still when it hurts makes the hurt last longer/more intensely, vs. moving/stretching some to loosen things up.

Just my experiential opinion, though - may not be true for others.

Best wishes!

Thank you!

I hope it gets less painful, right now I'm wondering how I'm supposed to progress if I can't even get back into the gym because I hurt so much!

I'm trying to keep moving because I definitely lock up when I don't. I think that why it's making it hard to sleep.

I just can't fathom how it hurts this much to do something that feels fine at the time!
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    It's perfectly normal at first OP. You'll probably feel it less each week, and a few weeks from now you may be doing more volume (sets x reps) than now, with little or no DOMS.

Note for the future, while DOMS feels like a sign you've had a good workout, no DOMS does not mean you didn't.

Thank you! I'm just surprised I can be THIS sore. I'm usually pretty tough, but holy hell.

I'm trying to work the balance between not going too hard, bit also keeping the routine up enough that I will progress and not just stall in this scenario where the DOMS are bad enough that I don't go often enough to really improve.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm just surprised I can be THIS sore. I'm usually pretty tough, but holy hell.

I'm trying to work the balance between not going too hard, bit also keeping the routine up enough that I will progress and not just stall in this scenario where the DOMS are bad enough that I don't go often enough to really improve.

IME, not going is a route to more DOMS at every restart. Once I get in a routine, the DOMS is not that much after similar sessions (same general types of activity/dosage) even if the intensity is progressive. Loosely, severe DOMS tends to be sort of "newbie pain".

Nowadays, I try to repeat the stimulus as soon as I can (allowing for essential recovery, like 48 or so hours between workouts that stress the same muscle groups). If the intensity has to drop a little, that's OK, but if I can I'd do the full planned workout, not a watered-down one.

Taking a longer break until full recovery from the soreness usually makes the DOMS persist longer (repeats), for me. If I keep going, get on a regular schedule, the DOMS declines to become a sort of pleasantly taut feeling that tells me I've worked out, but not that deep stiffness and pain every time. Of course, I can't say for sure that you'd see the same pattern, but I would guess it would be similar.

I know this is not easy.

• Alatariel75
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IME, not going is a route to more DOMS at every restart. Once I get in a routine, the DOMS is not that much after similar sessions (same general types of activity/dosage) even if the intensity is progressive. Loosely, severe DOMS tends to be sort of "newbie pain".

Nowadays, I try to repeat the stimulus as soon as I can (allowing for essential recovery, like 48 or so hours between workouts that stress the same muscle groups). If the intensity has to drop a little, that's OK, but if I can I'd do the full planned workout, not a watered-down one.

Taking a longer break until full recovery from the soreness usually makes the DOMS persist longer (repeats), for me. If I keep going, get on a regular schedule, the DOMS declines to become a sort of pleasantly taut feeling that tells me I've worked out, but not that deep stiffness and pain every time. Of course, I can't say for sure that you'd see the same pattern, but I would guess it would be similar.

I know this is not easy.

Oh, believe me I want to go! But today, 2 days after the upper body workout, I literally cannot move my arms. My husband had to hook my bra for me, and I've actually had trouble lifting a cup or fork to my mouth. It's SEVERE. I actually don't think I can safely drive.

But I'm definitely not waiting to be perfectly fine to go back, bit I think day after tomorrow will be the earliest!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? I find i recover quicker from doms when I hit my protein target - it takes longer if I’m low on protein.

But - I still get doms. Every time my exercise shifts a gear (ie increased volume/ weight / intensity) I get doms.

I also find exercising releases them, so I get straight back in the gym and exercise them out. They’re just evil.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? I find i recover quicker from doms when I hit my protein target - it takes longer if I’m low on protein.

But - I still get doms. Every time my exercise shifts a gear (ie increased volume/ weight / intensity) I get doms.

I also find exercising releases them, so I get straight back in the gym and exercise them out. They’re just evil.

Now that you mention it, I'm usually on the higher protein side in my diet, but after the gym we had pizza. I will try consciously ensure I get a high protein meal after.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Some athletes swear by cold bathes after a heavy work out to mitigate Doms…..”a cold plunge” also known as cold therapy or cold water immersion.

The scientific community is mixed on it. Look it up- if you try it and it works. Let us know!

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Some athletes swear by cold bathes after a heavy work out to mitigate Doms…..”a cold plunge” also known as cold therapy or cold water immersion.

The scientific community is mixed on it. Look it up- if you try it and it works. Let us know!
    The problem with that is it reduces inflammation, which yeah might make you feel better, but it's the inflammation that is helping to build the muscle which is presumably why most people are lifting. The cold bath thing is helpful if you're an athlete and need to speed up recovery between workouts that are probably longer and more intense than most regular peoples workouts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    DOMS are the initiation phase of getting healthier. Welcome to a fitter lifestyle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png