Macros

Options
Hi Can any one please provide me with a scientific guide as to how to set up an accurate % Macro Plan eg %Carbs %Protein %FAt per day thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited March 29
    Options
    That is totally individual with many many factors that influence those decisions. Some things are essential for life found in protein and fats and guidelines can be ill informed or outdated and really not directed to the individual anyway so it's important to do your own research. My opinion for protein for example, is to get anywhere from 0.7g to 1.2g's for every lb of lean mass or desired weight from quality sources and spread out evenly throughout your meals, also more can be consumed depending on the individual.

As far as fats are concerned we need a good balance of omega 3's from natural sources like fish and other seafood and consume the fats of other animals and as far as fats and oils for other dietary needs added to our diet, natural is good and as far as plant sources are concerned keep that oil mostly from fruit sources like olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil and minimize refined seed oils like safflower, soy, corn because of the deleterious effects those have on our health. Carbs are for fuel and are not essential so there's varying opinions on their need in general, personally I'm low carb using 5/30/65 C/P/F most of the time and I'm a proponent of a whole food diet.

Most of the world is generally in and around 50/15/35 C/P/F but again that is based on guidelines for the general population but keep in mind that that ratio can describe a Mediterranean diet, a vegetarian or vegan diet and it can also represent the Standard American Diet, which kind of emphasizes the point that it really is up to the individual to figure this stuff out. Sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer and that's simply because it's pretty much impossible because like I said it's individual. This is also just my opinion.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is there any "scientific" reason that you don't want to use the default on MFP?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    The MFP defaults match up pretty well with standard, mainstream nutritional guidance from outfits like USDA/NIH, WHO, NHS, etc.

Why not start logging your food and see how you stack up against those defaults? You can work at that while you learn more, and customize the goals later if you want to.

One case where the defaults break down is that too many people arrive here with a "lose weight fast" mindset, and cut calories too far. That usually isn't sustainable, but also there's no way to get adequate nutrition on too-few calories, no matter how the percents are set.

Final note: You don't have to be exactly exact in hitting those goals. Pretty close, on average over a few days, is just fine. Nutrition isn't like a magic spell where you have to get every syllable exactly perfect or it won't work. Humans are adaptive omnivores. We have some wiggle room.