People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options
I think its always helpful to be able to see what others are doing specifically (their diet, exercise, and weight loss)
So I want to create a forum where people can discuss !

I specifically am a marathon runner and run an average of 10 miles a day. Now im trying to shift my diet to a healthy one (I eat mostly junk now)

[for those of you who followed my last two posts-- is this dumbed down enough not to get locked? haha hope so]

SW:150
5' 6" female

Replies

• ashleyGW111
    Options
    Day 1: 9/4/13 150 pounds

egg white omelette (200 cal)
    large salad with tuna (500-600 cal)
    2 chocolate chip muffins (couldnt resist).. (400 cal)

ran 9.3 miles

I know With this much exercise, I should eat more today, but I feel great and energetic and I listen to my body when it tells me its hungry or not, so for today this is it!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :happy:
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    Good luck! :happy:

Bless your heart <3
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I inboxed you hunni. It's impossible to have a sensible conversation on main forum... LOL :drinker:
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

valid question-- I am addicted to sugar and consume most of my calories in chocolate, candy, chips, and empty carbs. I have a very unhealthy diet which is why i gained weight in spite of my training. this is my journey to get healthy and lose weight
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say the op is "fat" their BMI would be 24 I think? which is normal.

Good luck with your healthy eating OP.
  • ashleyGW111
    Options

thank you :) I wouldnt have made a third thread, but I was encouraged by the number of people actually interested in it, so here goes! You've been very kind :) good luck with your fitness journey too! Stay in touch
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options

thank you :) I wouldnt have made a third thread, but I was encouraged by the number of people actually interested in it, so here goes! You've been very kind :) good luck with your fitness journey too! Stay in touch

You're welcome. I'm interested because I pretty much used to live on junk food (takeaways, soda, frozen chips and pizzas etc) up until about a week ago, I'm also very interested in taking up running (I'm hopeless but have been three times so far - short distances mixed with walking) :smile:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    in for the journey !
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    do you think that's enough....?
    although you might feel the need to eat more healthier food in a few days once the sugar has worn off...
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    do you think that's enough....?
    although you might feel the need to eat more healthier food in a few days once the sugar has worn off...

I guess I'll find out! I'll let you know when i get hungry and what I eat to satiate my hunger :)
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    in for the journey !

welcome aboard!! feel free to add your info too! You can talk about your daily food intake, exercise, mood, weight loss, etc just like I did if you want :)
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    I inboxed you hunni. It's impossible to have a sensible conversation on main forum... LOL :drinker:

Thanks! Do you mind if I post some of the info you sent me? I think others could benefit from learning about your experience :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i am all for healthy eating - i just dont understand why you need to eat so little? 1100 cals and a 10 mile run?
  • ashleyGW111
    Options

i am all for healthy eating - i just dont understand why you need to eat so little? 1100 cals and a 10 mile run?

It is pretty low, I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow and eat when I get hungry
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet. Good illustration of this.

Good luck OP!
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Some great, solid info here:
    Nutrition tips for long-distance runners

10. Get fueled. Long-distance runners are at risk of having low bone density, stress fractures and irregular periods. It is important that they provide their body with enough energy to perform at its best and prevent unwanted injuries. Runners can simply calculate their caloric needs by following this guideline (they also should consult a registered dietitian for a tailored nutrition plan):

30 - 60 minutes of activity a day requires 16-18 calories per pound
    1 - 1.5 hours of activity a day requires 19-21 calories per pound
    1.5 - 2 hours of activity a day requires 22-24 calories per pound
    2 - 3 hours of activity a day requires 25-30 or more calories per pound

9. Plan fiber intake wisely. Fiber is a wonderful thing, but choosing foods lower in fiber the night before and the morning of the race is a smart idea. Foods like high-fiber cereals, grains, granola bars, fruits and vegetables could lead to uncomfortable intestinal distress and cramping come race day.

8. Monitor sweat loss. Runners should weigh themselves before and after long runs. For every pound they lose during the run, they will need to replace it with 16 ounces of water. For example, if they know they always lose 3 pounds (48 ounces) over the course of four hours, they will need to drink 6 ounces of water every 30 minutes during the race.

7. Prepare for various weather conditions. Heat will increase sweat rate and lead to a higher loss of salt. Sweat is the body's way of eliminating generated heat. In colder temperatures, runners will require more calories to help maintain their core body temperature. Hydration needs also may increase in cold weather if inappropriate clothing is worn.

6. Getting carbs on the run. When exercising for longer than one hour, 30-60 grams of carbohydrates should be consumed every hour. Carbohydrates can be consumed during a marathon in many different forms including: gels, jelly beans, sports drinks, sports bars or a combination of these products.

5. Monitor urine. One great indicator for assessing hydration status is the color of urine. The clearer the color, the more hydrated a runner is.

4. Get adequate protein. Protein consumption is important for increasing lean muscle mass and aiding in muscle repair. Endurance athletes require between 1.2 to 1.4 g/kg/day. A maximum of no more than 1 gram of protein per pound should be consumed in a day.

3. Don't forget to carbo load. Athletic performance can be improved if a runner maximizes muscle glycogen stores prior to a marathon. Some carbohydrate loading plans start six days before a race. However, it will help maintain a high-intensity run for a longer period of time even if a runner begins a high-carbohydrate diet the day before the race.

2. Drink fluids. Water is the most important nutrient. Losing as little as 2 percent of body weight leads to impaired athletic performance. Runners can follow these fluid-replacement guidelines to stay hydrated:
    Before Exercise: Two hours prior to exercise consume 16-20 ounces of water and 10-20 minutes prior to exercise consume 7-10 ounces of water.
    During Exercise: Every 15-20 minutes consume 6-8 ounces of water. If you are exercising for longer than one hour, consuming a sports drink with 4-8 percent of carbohydrates will provide energy to working muscles.
    After Exercise: For every pound lost during exercise, 24 ounces of fluid should be consumed to aid in hydration maintenance.

1. Practice, Practice, Practice. It is important to practice a nutrition and hydration schedule ahead of the marathon. Race day is not the time to try out new foods and beverages. If runners don't practice a food and hydration pattern before race day, they won't know how their body will react and their performance may suffer.

Source Loyola University Health System

Most, you probably know, but some of the baselines should be useful in figuring out a healthy day to day plan to ensure you keep up your performance and endurance, that your body can repair itself, and you can cut down the weight.
This discussion has been closed.