People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I inboxed you hunni. It's impossible to have a sensible conversation on main forum... LOL :drinker:

Thanks! Do you mind if I post some of the info you sent me? I think others could benefit from learning about your experience :)

You mean the Rachel Cosgrove article? By all means. It certainly reflects my experience of doing only steady state cardio with no HIIT or weights at that time. Here it is. :ohwell:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

I don't have much to add to the convo, I am doing my first half later this month and have learned a lot about running the past couple months but I'm so glad to finally see someone else on this board that knows who Rachel Cosgrove is. Everyone brags about her husband Alan but she is the one that got me in the weight room a couple years before his book NROLW even came about!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I inboxed you hunni. It's impossible to have a sensible conversation on main forum... LOL :drinker:

Thanks! Do you mind if I post some of the info you sent me? I think others could benefit from learning about your experience :)

You mean the Rachel Cosgrove article? By all means. It certainly reflects my experience of doing only steady state cardio with no HIIT or weights at that time. Here it is. :ohwell:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

I don't have much to add to the convo, I am doing my first half later this month and have learned a lot about running the past couple months but I'm so glad to finally see someone else on this board that knows who Rachel Cosgrove is. Everyone brags about her husband Alan but she is the one that got me in the weight room a couple years before his book NROLW even came about!

Same here! I think she's fab!! I just wish I had read more of her stuff before I did my IM as it's bliddy hard work getting back in shape after you've lost all your muscle. :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh

It's certainly not thin. Check the charts.

It may be a good first step goal, but the reality is that it is still overweight. Don't get offended by people further along in the process.

I think you just called me fat :tongue:

<---- 154lb in my current avi, and 5 6"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how shocking, re-wording the same question gave the same outcome....

what odds can i get on the OP ragequitting!?
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Well I prefer to keep my boobs and butt. I'm 5'6.5 and when I was under 150 pounds I lost them. When I weighed around 155 I always received compliments about how I had a nice body. I was happy with how i looked. I've always had a lot of muscle mass. If that makes me "overweight" by your standards, so be it. Let me ask you, how much do you think all women should weigh? 120 or under? What would a truly healthy weight for a 5'6 woman be then? No trying to be snarky, just seriously wondering. I'm trying to get back to 155 pounds. That is my GOAL.

I guess everyone carries their weight differently.

I am 5'6" and currently weigh exactly the 155lb that you aspire to as your goal. I'm still overweight and nowhere near what is a good lean target for me.

My goal is between 125 and 130 pounds. I'm an hourglass figure and still have both butt and boobs at that weight.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Same here! I think she's fab!! I just wish I had read more of her stuff before I did my IM as it's bliddy hard work getting back in shape after you've lost all your muscle. :laugh:

Oh I can imagine!! It's hard even when adding the strength portion in from the beginning! I'm so glad I found The Female Body Breakthrough before I did too much damage...that book was my bible for quite awhile!
  • CollieFit
    Options

Oh I can imagine!! It's hard even when adding the strength portion in from the beginning! I'm so glad I found The Female Body Breakthrough before I did too much damage...that book was my bible for quite awhile!

The irony is, that without knowing, I did all the right things before I got into tris! But then you get in with a crowd of people who are all into endurance sports, who all believe that too much muscle is "added weight you don't need", who do hours and hours and hours of training followed by hours of "carb loading" which you also get indoctrinated into, and before you know it your body has gone completely to pot!! :sad: :huh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh

It may be a good first step goal, but the reality is that it is still overweight. Don't get offended by people further along in the process.

Not a chance, Sara. This is the problem with these conversations, as you're well aware, it's always an issue of BMI vs. muscle mass vs. personal goals. When someone can deadlift over twice their weight, as you can, I think the muscle mass part comes into play just a tad . . .:tongue:
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Vegan but I am a Vegetarian. I have to eat fish once in a while. (Shame????)

Then you're not a vegan or a vegetarian. You're a pescetarian.

Vegetarian - Does not eat ANY meat. Is allowed dairy.
    Vegan - Does not eat ANY meat or dairy.
    Pescetarian - Does not eat meat EXCEPT for seafood. Is also allowed dairy.
    Thank you, I was like, uhmmm...no you're not
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4" and I would kiss the ground and whatever is crawling on it to weigh 150
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well I prefer to keep my boobs and butt. I'm 5'6.5 and when I was under 150 pounds I lost them. When I weighed around 155 I always received compliments about how I had a nice body. I was happy with how i looked. I've always had a lot of muscle mass. If that makes me "overweight" by your standards, so be it. Let me ask you, how much do you think all women should weigh? 120 or under? What would a truly healthy weight for a 5'6 woman be then? No trying to be snarky, just seriously wondering. I'm trying to get back to 155 pounds. That is my GOAL.

I guess everyone carries their weight differently.

I am 5'6" and currently weigh exactly the 155lb that you aspire to as your goal. I'm still overweight and nowhere near what is a good lean target for me.

My goal is between 125 and 130 pounds. I'm an hourglass figure and still have both butt and boobs at that weight.

Very true!! A certain weight on one person could look completely different on somebody else. You're lucky. I hate how my boobs and butt disappear :sad:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

If you want to keep people updated on your efforts to train for a marathon while subsisting on a VLCD, perhaps you should create a group. While it won't provide the attention and drama of a general forum post, you can get all the kudos you want.

Continuing to post your plans in the forums will only result in more people telling you that your plan is dangerous and will be difficult to sustain. A private group will give you your own audience that may be more supportive of your efforts and probably won't try to educate you on how dangerous it actually is.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you might need to sit down with a nice cup of tea and relax a little. :laugh:

You're joking right? Come off the forum? Don't you realise how dangerous that is for people in the 'fragile ego' category.

Without.... attention... they cannot.. will... not survive

Do you WANT people to be HOSPITALISED or something!? :noway: :wink:

I think you might find that people are more receptive to your point of view if you take a positive approach rather than a snarky/sarcastic one. Just some food for thought. :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not a chance, Sara. This is the problem with these conversations, as you're well aware, it's always an issue of BMI vs. muscle mass vs. personal goals. When someone can deadlift over twice their weight, as you can, I think the muscle mass part comes into play just a tad . . .:tongue:

Absolutely. While the BMI has it's limitations, especially for men, it is not too far off as an indicator of 'healthy' body weight for women in most situations. I have a very high LBM for a female and at 154lb am only on the border of overweight per the index.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say the op is "fat" their BMI would be 24 I think? which is normal.

Good luck with your healthy eating OP.

thank you :) I wouldnt have made a third thread, but I was encouraged by the number of people actually interested in it, so here goes! You've been very kind :) good luck with your fitness journey too! Stay in touch

You're welcome. I'm interested because I pretty much used to live on junk food (takeaways, soda, frozen chips and pizzas etc) up until about a week ago, I'm also very interested in taking up running (I'm hopeless but have been three times so far - short distances mixed with walking) :smile:

So now pizza is junk food?

Your before and after are nothing short of amazing! if you want pizza eat it, something you are doing is RIGHT!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I know With this much exercise, I should eat more today, but I feel great and energetic and I listen to my body when it tells me its hungry or not, so for today this is it!
    Which vitamin/mineral deficiencies cause hunger? You'd better hope it's every single one of them.

Pro tip, it isn't. In fact many vitamin deficiencies cause loss of appetite.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    my problem is this
    I love running....and i am very lazy

I love it when I run, I feel free and full of energy, my body craves the run and yet I deprive it with laziness. I find excuse after excuse not to go for a run. even though my brain is screaming to shh and go run!

How did you get started running? what gets your bum off the bed/chair and gets you going.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to run marathons while consuming 1100 calories a day, I think should say

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, DON'T DO IT.

You can do it, but it isn't a pretty result. My times suffered, and even though I got below my "goal" weight, I looked awful.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Whatever, I'm in again.

OP, I am looking forward to seeing your caloric intake versus what you burn today. Hopefully you listen to the healthy advice you've received, and prove us wrong regarding our concerns.

If you can indeed get your Net Calories to a healthy point consistently then I will be very interested to see your results. If you can't get your Net Calories to a healthy point, well, I just hope you don't do too much damage to yourself.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to run marathons while consuming 1100 calories a day, I think should say

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, DON'T DO IT.

You can do it, but it isn't a pretty result. My times suffered, and even though I got below my "goal" weight, I looked awful.
    You may as well go and talk to the wall, she will not listen. This is her 3rd thread about this. The other 2 were locked/deleted.
This discussion has been closed.