Supplements

Options
Good afternoon everyone. I met with a functional nutritionist yesterday. She suggested several vitamins and supplements to help with chronic pain and inflammation. They included vitamin D with K, vitamin B, and magnesium. Has anyone had any experience with these supplements?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what AnnP said. Also, there's not one vitamin B, there are many. And one of them, vitamin B6 is neurotoxic. It's often offered in very high amounts. If you're in the EU you'll unlikely get amounts that can be dangerous, but in other countries, including the US? Don't just drop vitamins like candy. Get tested properly first to see whether you have any deficiencies.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,349 Member
    Options
    I take a single magnesium tablet once a week. It seems to help me avoid leg cramps.

I also have had my B12 tested once to check if either lack or excess was causing my balance symptoms. Or maybe the neurologist was checking to see if I was a covert alcoholic lying about the fact that I don’t drink. I’m not sure. She was a (redacted) doctor and I won’t ever have the chance to ask why she ordered that particular test. I’m off topic.

Point being, you really need to be careful about supplements. A registered dietitian is usually most knowledgeable about supplements and diet.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    About a year ago my blood levels showed that I was deficient in Vitamin D. I don't get a lot of Calcium in my diet regularly because I am Lactose intolerant and kinda hate the veggies that are higher calcium. My MD recommended the following:

Vitamin D 4,000 IU daily
    Folic acid: 300 mg daily
    And B12 sublingual 1000mg daily

I also take:
    500mg Calcium and Tumeric daily.

I would say these have definitely helped me. My blood levels this year found my vitamin D within the normal range. My energy has improved and the tumeric helps with the inflammation.

That being said, I agree with AnnPT77. If you don't have blood work or a related health condition (I have Fibromyalgia and GI problems) that shows you need particular supplements you should first start there and determine what your needs are.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with all of the above comments. Most (all?) supplements should not be taken unless they are needed.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @scampagnone This may go down like a lead balloon but here goes.

If you have no luck with the supplements, consider trying an elimination diet like the lion or carnivore diet.

Radical I know but there's a lot of stories about people overcoming all sorts of inflammatory problems, joint problems, etc.

I've been on carnivore diet about a month now and I've had chest pains the hospital couldn't explain go away and lower back pains from walking dissappear too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    edited April 30
    Options
    If possible talk with a rheumatologist to see what you could do to actually reduce chronic inflammation and see what kind of dietary changes might help to reduce your C-reactive protein. imo