Maintaining is Scary

Options
2»

Replies

• Rockymountainliving
    Rockymountainliving Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I lost 36 pounds over 18 months and kept it off for 9 months. I have been fighting rising LDL cholesterol due to Familial hypercholesterolemia and finally had to go on Statins. When that happened, I got really really hungry. I didn't realize this was a side effect, but for me it was. At 5' 4" and 137, the 1450 maintenance calories weren't enough. So I ate, still tracked the 2000-2500 calories and avoided the scale. I gained 15 pounds in 3 months. However, my face looks a LOT better and my body looks better too. My maintenance calories are 1650 and 2000 if I go for a hike. I have more food in my belly so I get up less at night to go pee. Yay! I'm going to sit at this weight a while and contemplate if I want to get lower.
  • jubrown3
    jubrown3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It was helpful to read of your fears, not that I wish them on you. I appreciate your reaching out to the community & sharing. When I reached goal, I was just as worried about gaining even a little back. I didn’t realize I would feel this way, hoping to just be happy and relax finally. It’s hard to relax though.
    At first I gave myself 1500 calories a day, but I popped up 2 pounds easily. I got very anxious, not wanting to see eight months of hard work disappear. My calorie count is 1200 every day now & I still track religiously. It’s too easy to eat unwanted calories if I don’t track. Walking and getting outside everyday is a steady goal. Luckily I love to swim, but again I have to be mindful to make time. I’m accepting that this has to be a main vigilant focus for the rest of my life.
  • rubym42
    rubym42 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 24
    Options
    @tiffanyleilarsen Thank you for being open about your fear - we definitely start with our focus on losing the weight but once that’s done the fear of going back is real. I’ve lost 42 pounds and I just need 4 more pounds til goal - as I see myself reaching my goal the fear of going back is definitely real.

Thank you all for the tips - I will add these to my toolbox as I begin the maintenance journey in a few weeks - so proud of everyone here and your commitment to a healthy you.