Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Video recording.........okay or not?

13»

Replies

• DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 32 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A big controversy nowadays in the gym is the use of phones recording individuals workouts. While there are some great influencers in the industry that do a great job on instruction, there are so many "influencers" out there focusing on their own workouts, but doing things like commenting on other members, being angry that someone stepped in front of their recordings, and taking up space they don't need to so that others won't be in their recordings.
    IMO, we are in such a "ME" society now, that so many clips and recordings don't really focus on the actual correct form and execution of exercise, but just what the individual does just because they might have a nice physique.
    While I'm okay with recording IF the person isn't causing a ruckus and IF they are considerate to others who may ask not to be in the background, I've had to actual ask members to leave because they didn't want to follow some of those rules. Places like LA Fitness and now possible 24 hour have strictly banned any recordings at all and most gyms will likely follow suit. In our gym already, we don't allow crocks or slippers to workout in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The debate over phone use in gyms boils down to respect. While recording workouts can inspire, it's often misused for personal gain or to the detriment of others. Rules are crucial to maintain focus on form and respect for fellow members' privacy.
  • Vette8828
    Vette8828 Posts: 25 Member
    I think it safe to say that the majority of us are not there to tone our Adonis body but to get fit.
    Face it, none of us look our best in sweaty oversized T-shirts and gym shorts!
    So, no to video in the gym, I don't want me and my wobbly bits ridiculed on the internet.
    I can get that at home!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    DrBenja wrote: »
    A big controversy nowadays in the gym is the use of phones recording individuals workouts. While there are some great influencers in the industry that do a great job on instruction, there are so many "influencers" out there focusing on their own workouts, but doing things like commenting on other members, being angry that someone stepped in front of their recordings, and taking up space they don't need to so that others won't be in their recordings.
    IMO, we are in such a "ME" society now, that so many clips and recordings don't really focus on the actual correct form and execution of exercise, but just what the individual does just because they might have a nice physique.
    While I'm okay with recording IF the person isn't causing a ruckus and IF they are considerate to others who may ask not to be in the background, I've had to actual ask members to leave because they didn't want to follow some of those rules. Places like LA Fitness and now possible 24 hour have strictly banned any recordings at all and most gyms will likely follow suit. In our gym already, we don't allow crocks or slippers to workout in.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The debate over phone use in gyms boils down to respect. While recording workouts can inspire, it's often misused for personal gain or to the detriment of others. Rules are crucial to maintain focus on form and respect for fellow members' privacy.
    Except with a lot of todays "influencers" and "bloggers", VIEWS and LIKES are more important than giving respect to others. Even today there are a lot of Instagramers and Tic Tockers who go out and do disrespectful things just to get views. Until they are disrespected or actually even sued or arrested, they will continue do it.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    DrBenja wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Except with a lot of todays "influencers" and "bloggers", VIEWS and LIKES are more important than giving respect to others. Even today there are a lot of Instagramers and Tic Tockers who go out and do disrespectful things just to get views. Until they are disrespected or actually even sued or arrested, they will continue do it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then their activity should be banned from the gym.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    edited June 13
    Personally other gym members filming or taking selfies barely register.
    You need permission from the owner to use a tripod, but thats only for world class athletes
    Or high level bodybuilders, everyone else just gets someone to film their set.
    Today for example one bloke asked another to film him benching 4 plates for the first time.
    The bodybuilders tend to use the quite end of the cardio section to do their progress videos for their coaches. While the youngsters use the changing room mirror to take their top less selfies.
    The gym gets tagged in a lot of the members instagram posts and adds some their videos and selfies to their reel
    There aren't many 'influencers' who use the the gym, the owner doesn't like that type of behaviour
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,672 Member
    I lift in a powerlifting gym. I will often record my max set of my major lifts (squats, dead, bench) and the majority of the reason is because I want to have the proper form (checking depth for squats, ramping / hitching / efficiency of lift for deads, stability / arch / flare of the elbows for bench).

In a comp, the depth of a squat and hitching/ramping on deads are points that will disqualify you if done wrong.

In my vids I'll notice if my knees are caving, or if I'm tipped too far forward and I can correct.

I also film because I want to capture my max lifts. I am proud of them (took me 7 years to hit a 315lb deadlift) so you bet your bottom I want to capture that!

When I film, I do my best to ensure no-one else is in the frame. If there is someone in the frame, I'll blur them out or put a sticker over their face. I also put my phone where it's not in the way.

Surely there has to be some kind of happy medium.

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,216 Member
    I lift in a powerlifting gym. I will often record my max set of my major lifts (squats, dead, bench) and the majority of the reason is because I want to have the proper form (checking depth for squats, ramping / hitching / efficiency of lift for deads, stability / arch / flare of the elbows for bench).

In a comp, the depth of a squat and hitching/ramping on deads are points that will disqualify you if done wrong.

In my vids I'll notice if my knees are caving, or if I'm tipped too far forward and I can correct.

I also film because I want to capture my max lifts. I am proud of them (took me 7 years to hit a 315lb deadlift) so you bet your bottom I want to capture that!

When I film, I do my best to ensure no-one else is in the frame. If there is someone in the frame, I'll blur them out or put a sticker over their face. I also put my phone where it's not in the way.

I assure you, not everyone is this considerate or doing it for those reasons. People are rubbing their VAGINA on the equipment to try to drum up Only Fans subscribers.😫🤢Earn money how you want, doesn’t bother me. But that’s crazy! And then the people not being respectful like you are blurring out faces but making fun of people in the background. Or slowing the video down and saying someone is STARING at them, when it’s literally barely a glance in their direction.

Of course I’m seeing the worst of the worst because of people like Joey Swoll😂I admit that. I’m sure most of the time it’s an annoyance or minor inconvenience. I’m positive if the majority of people were doing it the way you were, there could be a happy medium for most people.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member

I posted something similar but I think we’re in the minority! I suspect PL gyms are slightly different: I record a lot of my lifts for the same reason as you, and whilst I train at home now, my previous gym had cameras propped up against water bottles eveywhere so people could check form. 99.9% were never posted - but they had faces blanked out if they did. TBH I don’t go to “normal” gyms as they don’t have the stuff I need, but there does appear to be a difference according to other posters!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member

Ideally in a perfect world yes. But when you see the "gym fails" on Youtube, most of these people are inadvertantly being filmed without their knowledge. Again people aren't that concerned about the ramifications of how it may affect the other person, just that they get their filmed content out so they can get views and likes.
    There are some like OE who gets content sent to him from other gym bros (a lot from India) doing stupid ego lifts and he makes fun of them, but this is already content that's been okayed by the sender.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png