Type 2 Diabetes and Fiber - Food Recommendations

Options
barbpf
barbpf Posts: 5 Member
I recently had a sigmoidectomy (colon resection). In pre-op, I found out I was Type 2 diabetic with an A1C of 7.3. Doctors have suggested starting with DEW (diet, exercise, water). I've already lost 10 pounds. Here's the challenge -- because of my colon issues -- I should be eating at least 30 grams of fiber a day. I don't eat beans but most other foods are acceptable. I'm struggling with how to get 30 grams of fiber in every day though without eating too many carbs or gaining weight (I have a weight loss goal of an additional 25 pounds). I am taking Metamucil every day as well but that's only about 2.5 grams of fiber. Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and yogurt parfait. I put fiber one cereal (the sticks kind) on top instead of granola. Quick and easy hit of fiber. A also use lowfat cottage cheese instead of yogurt sometimes.
  • barbpf
    Options
    Great idea. And I didn't even think of the Fiber One products. There are some good options there in general for me. Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Some high fiber relatively low carb foods to consider would be flax or chia seeds, avocados, some other veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, eggplant, cabbage . . .), some nuts, (almonds, pistachios - calorie dense so small portions), some berries (blackberries, raspberries), even wheat germ.

Those do have some carbs, but fairly low.

Did your doctors say whether you should emphasize soluble fiber or insoluble fiber (or both), or whether you should choose fermentable vs. non-fermentable ones?

I usually get mid-30s grams fiber and higher, sometimes much higher. Most of the fiber comes from veggies and fruits, plus some oatmeal. (That's on maintenance calories, BTW, but it was fairly high while losing, too.) I don't need to limit carbs, so I'm not as familiar with which fiber sources are low carb, and of course I don't know what definition of "low carb" works for you.
  • barbpf
    Options
    My doctor didn't say and now I've just added that to my list of questions so thank you for that. I hadn't considered seeds. Googling how to "eat" them now. Avocados and berries re absolutely on my list as are nuts but to your point (those are calorie dense.) Thanks for all of this info.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    barbpf wrote: »
    My doctor didn't say and now I've just added that to my list of questions so thank you for that. I hadn't considered seeds. Googling how to "eat" them now. Avocados and berries re absolutely on my list as are nuts but to your point (those are calorie dense.) Thanks for all of this info.

It may not work for you (because of carbs), but I put ground flax seed and hemp hearts in my oatmeal. Some people put them in yogurt, soup, smoothies, or even on salad. I don't use chia, but they could be used similarly. Ground flax is probably a good idea: It's so hard it doesn't digest well. But avoid letting it get stale. (Keep tightly sealed, in opaque container, in fridge, for example.)

People also use chia to make "chia pudding", which you could find recipes for on the web, if interested. I tried it, didn't personally enjoy it, and one of my strict rules is that I don't eat yucky foods in order to pursue health goals :D . (I'm not suggesting that that's the right rule for everyone. ;) And you might like eating it, as many people here seem to.)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor refer you to a Diabetes educator/Registered Dietician? My mom was diabetic and fiber negates carbs, so if something has 45 grams of carbs, but 10 grams of fiber, that lowers the net carbs you take in, to 35. She was able to eat 45 NET carbs per meal, plus a couple of 15 NET carbs snacks. You may be different, but that is why you need to talk to a registered dietician/diabetes educator.
  • barbpf
    Options
    Actually seeing my PCP today and I have reached out to a RD / nutritionist and will likely see them in a couple o weeks. Most diabetics I talk to say "net carbs" is a bit of a game and to be careful because you can end up eating quite a lot of carbs that way. If it turns out net carbs are an option for me -- that would be great. BUT YES -- definitely getting more support. This post is mostly so I can get some ideas for foods that I might have not thought about. Thank you so much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Did your doctor refer you to a Diabetes educator/Registered Dietician? My mom was diabetic and fiber negates carbs, so if something has 45 grams of carbs, but 10 grams of fiber, that lowers the net carbs you take in, to 35. She was able to eat 45 NET carbs per meal, plus a couple of 15 NET carbs snacks. You may be different, but that is why you need to talk to a registered dietician/diabetes educator.
    barbpf wrote: »
    Actually seeing my PCP today and I have reached out to a RD / nutritionist and will likely see them in a couple o weeks. Most diabetics I talk to say "net carbs" is a bit of a game and to be careful because you can end up eating quite a lot of carbs that way. If it turns out net carbs are an option for me -- that would be great. BUT YES -- definitely getting more support. This post is mostly so I can get some ideas for foods that I might have not thought about. Thank you so much.

Do trust a Diabetes educator/Registered Dietician (not nutritionist)* over fellow diabetics, as there is a lot of carb demonization out there that may not apply to you.

Meanwhile, check this out:

https://diabetes.org/food-nutrition/understanding-carbs/conquer-your-carbs

* generally "nutritionist" is meaningless in the US as credential requirements can be as little as nothing, but I see diabetes.org is using "registered dietitian nutritionist" so if you mean the same, carry on.
  • barbpf
    edited May 5
    Options
    For some reason, I can't reply. THANK YOU. I did check and the person I'm planning on seeing IS a Registered Dietician Nutritionist. I appreciate that as there aren't a ton of CDE's here and it's good to know this is a good alternative. ALSO -- thank you so much for the info on carbs. SUPER helpful and a "trusted" source. You are spot on about carb demonization. I absolutely am keeping carbs. Prior to this -- I ate a lot of refined carbs though so now I'm shifting to healthier -- whole grains, etc. AND of course vegetables and some fruits. That article you sent was super helpful for me.