How do you folks not just ‘eat along’ w your significant other/family?

Options
lek1111
lek1111 Posts: 4 Member
Hi! Recently rapidly gaining weight and what my doctor and I are pinpointing is that I tend to keep pace w whoever I’m around (around bf who is 6’4 and active, I’m 5’4 my job isn’t). I’m trying to make better choices but it’s tough and time consuming. My fall back is eating whatever and whenever he eats. How to work on breaking this pattern?

Best Answers

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 807 Member
    edited May 3 Answer ✓
    Options
    I rarely recommend IF (even though I do it) but in your case it might actually help. If you can save calories for the meal you enjoy with your husband you won’t feel like you’re being deprived or left out. Are you able to skip breakfast or lunch and bank those calories for later?

Another option is using a different size plate or making sure you have smaller portions of everything. My husband used to make our meals equal, and when I started focusing on calories and logging I realized that wasn’t necessary, I feel just as good having 1/3-1/2 the amount he does. He’s caught on and puts less on my plate now and I honestly don’t know the difference. It was a quick and easy new habit to implement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited May 3 Answer ✓
    Options
    lek1111 wrote: »
    Hi! Recently rapidly gaining weight and what my doctor and I are pinpointing is that I tend to keep pace w whoever I’m around (around bf who is 6’4 and active, I’m 5’4 my job isn’t). I’m trying to make better choices but it’s tough and time consuming. My fall back is eating whatever and whenever he eats. How to work on breaking this pattern?

My job is mostly sedentary, but I am fortunate to be able to walk 0.75 - 1 mile on my morning and afternoon breaks, and 0.6 mile at lunch. Between that and a little moving around at work, I get about 3.5 miles at work.

I bundled up and walked all winter, but I'm trying to figure out what to do when it gets unpleasantly hot/humid in the summer. I'm thinking about doing Tai Chi in some empty offices in the basement.

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I’m chiming in with the portion control recommendation.

I’m physically disabled, so my partner usually cooks and serves lunch and dinner (I’m on my own for breakfast and snacks)

It has taken me a few years to get him used to the idea that I really really don’t need as much food as the menfolk in the house.
    Partner is a lot better at not over serving me now. But it took

1) Smaller bowls and plates
    2) Frequent (and gentle) reminders
    3) Occasionally just eating half and sending the rest back to him