GLP1 weight loss users

Options
pamsahdev
pamsahdev Posts: 1 Member
edited May 17 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I’m Pam and I’m looking for folks using any of the GLP1 drugs for weight loss drug. Please share tips and tricks you are using.
Tagged:

Replies

• teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am using a tirzepitide. I just started over a week ago. But am only using it every other week-ish since my insurance does not cover it. I am using MFP to prioritize protein and fiber. I am a vegetarian, so I feel like hitting those protein goals can be hard. I sent a friend request.
  • leahnalley8503
    leahnalley8503 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My insurance does not cover GLP1 injections, or weight loss related visits. I keep seeing adds for several different companies promoting the use of GLP1 injections. However, there is a membership fee you have to pay before you can even get an idea of how much the injections will cost. Anyone have recommendations? Or can anyone advise me of the total costs?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    My insurance does not cover GLP1 injections, or weight loss related visits. I keep seeing adds for several different companies promoting the use of GLP1 injections. However, there is a membership fee you have to pay before you can even get an idea of how much the injections will cost. Anyone have recommendations? Or can anyone advise me of the total costs?

If you have to pay to see how much the injection costs, I personally would avoid it.

Double check with your insurance company about the specific drugs and programs they will approve, and under what circumstances. Most will cover it now if you’re diabetic. Some only if you’re insulin dependent. Worth double checking every six months or so. Things are changing pretty rapidly on this front.

• JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 696 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    @leahnalley8503 .... I started using tirzepatide compound almost a month ago. My insurance does not pay for any of the pens, so I am self pay, which is why I went the compound route.... much cheaper than the pens. I found a good telehealth website that writes the script, sends it to the pharmacy, and it arrives at my door within days. It was easy to sign up and the company I use has no monthly fees... I only pay for the medication. I did have to 'commit' to 3 months, but after that its month to month, or whenever I want to order again. I did my research on this company first, and so far, its been a good experience.

My cost for the first 3 months is $299 monthly (this for the lower doses), then I can stay at the lower doses and continue to pay $299 monthly, or I can opt to increase my dose and the price will be $379 monthly. Thats it... no other fees.
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm on a semaglutide compound. I initially went through my GP, who has a health & beauty clinic on the side. I trust him because he has been my doctor for 15 years, but I dearly paid for that trust. He charges $600/month for consult/check-ins, injection, and B12 injection. I did it once and do weekly injections at home.

There is a pill form called Rybelsus that I am moving to. You can sign up on their website and they give you manufacturers coupons. Insurance won't pay, but with the coupons it's $50/month. My GP says the pill is not *as* effective, but for the price, it's worth trying. He's swapping me over to Rybelsus next week. My last injection on the semaglutide compound is this week.
  • tinybear2006
    tinybear2006 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am currently on wegovy and have lost some but I’m still on a lower dose so I’m hoping to get bumped up when I see my dr this week… I am losing but mostly because I’m actually making lifestyle changes! I have never been so ready to do healthy things in my life. I’m even doing dumbbell workouts now and I have never been into even trying always just wanted to lose without changing anything but I can’t eat as much at one sitting so that helps … good luck to you :)
  • JodieHut
    Options
    It's GREAT that there are so many options right now! And making changes in food choices and daily activities has been nice.... before tirz the food noise was too much to stay focused for long periods of time. Not obsessing over food is such a mental relief.

My side effects have been annoying though.... typically I dont feel well the day after my shot. It has lessened with each shot, but I look forward to none eventually.

@tinybear2006 ... love that you are using dumbbells! I dusted off my kettlebell and have been swinging that around on my lunch at work!

@kaferine69 .... I havent heard of that pill form... thanks for info. I will definitely be researching that!

• jaxbert
    jaxbert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Zepbound on March 5, I’ve lost a little over 30 pounds so far. (276 down to 246)… insurance doesn’t cover it, but there is a coupon to bring it down to $550 per month, plus I’m using my HSA.
  • JodieHut
    Options
    @jaxbert ... wow, you've had great results so far! Congrats! Have you ever considered using a compound instead of Zepbound? The prices are much lower. The telehealth company I use accepts HSA and FSA as well. (The dont write letters though, if needed.) Wishing you continued success! :)
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I took semaglutide for 6-8 months. I never got the appetite suppression like others had. Once the dose was ramped up to 2.5mg i had appetite suppression but quickly adapted and it was gone. All I really had for 6-8 months was burping and constipation. Despite what the doctor said, I quit cold turkey and experienced no negative effects, in fact I'm losing weight faster without it.

But I've been hanging around forums, and some people respond to it really well, it seems to really be hit or miss.
  • kaferine69
    Options
    I took semaglutide for 6-8 months. I never got the appetite suppression like others had. Once the dose was ramped up to 2.5mg i had appetite suppression but quickly adapted and it was gone. All I really had for 6-8 months was burping and constipation. Despite what the doctor said, I quit cold turkey and experienced no negative effects, in fact I'm losing weight faster without it.

But I've been hanging around forums, and some people respond to it really well, it seems to really be hit or miss.

I still seem to experience appetite as well, but I don't think it's as severe. I don't really spend so much of my day thinking about food anymore.
  • JodieHut
    Options
    @Courtney9233 .... that's great progress! I have a lot of weight to lose, so I hope I can be patient. I know it will take me a year or more as well. I need to work on my patience! :)
  • kaferine69
    Options
    I've gone up to 3 units of semaglutide as of yesterday. Thankfully I did not react as poorly to this dosage increase as the last one. I hope it will help control my hunger a little more; so far I have noticed a curb on my appetite, but nothing drastic. But this is working for me, because I'm eating much better and moving around a lot more. I think I'm down about 14 lbs in one month, but I've definitely lost in my measurements. I'm able to walk for longer periods without pain.
  • HappyDonkey75
    HappyDonkey75 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

I tried the same drug, the daily shot, it worked slightly to decrease my appetite initially, I got up to the full dose but then it just didn't seem to work at all, so I guess my system adapted like you. I stopped as well cold turkey with no noticeable side effects. I think for the 5 months I tried it, I lost 4 lbs?? maybe.. I did gain it all back . Now since making a decision to get on the MFP train and get serious , I have also lost more weight than I did on the injection. . I had to pay all out of pocket so it is no longer an option for me.

As far as these compounded options for the medications, how does a person really weed through if they are legitamate . I have heard alot of the compound versions are snake oil...
  • kaferine69
    Options
    What's everyone's dosages at? Last week I went up to .3 and I'm still feeling appetite and hunger. Not as severely as usual, but it's there.
  • JodieHut
    Options
    Good morning Everyone!

@kaferine69 .... sorry to hear you aren't getting as much appetite suppression. Your weight loss has been great though! I'm not sure about sema dosing, as I am on tirzepatide compound. I have gotten great appetite suppression from day one.

@HappyDonkey75 ... When I first heard about the compound meds, I was very interested as my insurance wont pay for the name brands..... so I did a lot of research. I ultimately found a telehealth site I trusted and ordered from. I'm six shots in and couldn't be happier. Apparently I'm a "fast responder", as I've lost 18 pounds in five weeks on the lowest dose.

I've now taken 6 shots and I feel better and better each week. I am still feeling tired a lot though. I've been making really good eating choices and trying to get in lots of protein.

I'm sure I will have stalls/plateaus along the way, but I expect that. I'm committed to this for at least a year.

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am on compounded semiglutide. My dr just bumped me up to 1.2 mg weekly after 12 weeks. I pay 280.00 for 4 weeks out of pocket. No additional expense from my Dr. I get excellent appetite suppression at the lower doses and have lost 21 pounds. I have 30 pounds more to get to my goal weight. I do strength exercises 3 times per week, 14000 steps per day and I have put on some muscle. I’m tracking my food because I want to be aware of any stalls.
    Everyone has a different experience based on their metabolic flexibility, focus on muscle preservation and if they need HRT to manage hormones.
  • JodieHut
    Options
    I'm tired, and I know it's because I am not eating enough. :/

I have taken seven shots of compound tirzepatide, all at the "loading" dose of 2.5mg. I am never hungry, and when I do force myself to eat I can only manage a few bites. I really want to eat! I think on my next shot day, I will draw only 2mg. Seems ridiculous to me, but apparently my body is very sensitive to this medicine.

Anyone else responding to the beginning dose so strongly? I dont know what else to do except cut back on it. I want to have my appetite suppressed, but not to the point that I cant eat and am feeling faint all the time.