Options
2»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    mkksemail wrote: »
    mkksemail wrote: »
    I let a knee injury from last August and my disheartenment (is that a word?) with breaking a 19-month 10k/day steps streak sideline me.

I feel this!

One of the things that demotivated me in the past was not closing all my rings in Apple Fitness.

... I’ve had to learn to become less competitive against myself. Learn to live with not making one of these goals, or live with breaking a streak, and just keep on keeping on.

Solidarity.

The struggle is real.

Ahhhhh, your words hit like raindrops on a thirsty lawn :). Thank you! *fist bump* It's so hard to 'let a streak go', but you're right. You're so right.

Cheers
    ~ mk :)

I’ve been thinking about this a bit today.
    I wonder if I should start up a conversation about the things that demotivate people here.
    I can’t be the only one who got pouty about those silly Apple Fitness rings.

Or a plateau that just wouldn’t budge.
    Or running out of a preferred healthy food.
    Or an offhand comment a coworker made.
    Etc.
  • nyjoyus
    nyjoyus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on all the hard things you've done in your life! Im very grateful for this thread and all the helpful advice. I'm going to be 80 in August. Ive gained 15 pounds in the past 3 years. After having a knee replacement 3 years ago I was down to 170 but the weight crept back up and now I weigh more than I ever have at 185. My mini goal is to get down to 175 by my birthday in August. Another goal is to log my food consistently. Im back, as of this morning and Im going to keep trying.
  • maureenmarkham149
    maureenmarkham149 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also a regain after 1 year of getting to my goal
    I am starting again
    Hopefully this time I can stay motivated to get back where I need to be
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,223 Member
    Options
    nyjoyus wrote: »
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on all the hard things you've done in your life! Im very grateful for this thread and all the helpful advice. I'm going to be 80 in August. Ive gained 15 pounds in the past 3 years. After having a knee replacement 3 years ago I was down to 170 but the weight crept back up and now I weigh more than I ever have at 185. My mini goal is to get down to 175 by my birthday in August. Another goal is to log my food consistently. Im back, as of this morning and Im going to keep trying.

🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍 Keep trying. That's the best advice of all. Cheers :)
  • CleaCoalyard
    CleaCoalyard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so pissed off at myself -- I started Noom, started eating badly with no portion control, and then being sick and all the travel didn't help. I gained 30 pounds :(. So -- here I am again (still 30 pounds down though). No wine for me :(
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,223 Member
    Options
    I am so pissed off at myself -- I started Noom, started eating badly with no portion control, and then being sick and all the travel didn't help. I gained 30 pounds :(. So -- here I am again (still 30 pounds down though). No wine for me :(

Head up, shoulders back. You're starting again. Good job! 💪
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options

Ooof… So sorry.

Noom didn’t help me either.

Their ads are extremely misleading about the quality of their science. And the whole psychology side was very generic and not actually very helpful for me.
    I don’t think I lost an ounce while on Noom, which was about 6 months I think.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You're getting the same advice from most here...start small making small sustainable changes and as these become about one. Don't do too much. Even exercise, just park further away from doors and get a little walk in. build on your successes. And yes, track your food! Check the number of calories you've been eating and then drop 500/day. When I started I'd been tracking but not paying attention and saw that on average I was eating about 2500 + every day. Set my initial goal at 2000 and committed to staying there. the weight started to come off.
    You can do this!
  • donnajsanto
    donnajsanto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I have been on the weight roller coaster since high school. I did weight watchers and got down to my goal weight and then got pregnant with my first child. This no joke was my pregnancy plan lol each time I got down to my goal weight I got pregnant. After child 3 I gave up on weight watchers.
    I was back up to my weight from prior to the first child so I made some changes and had started eating right, running and losing weight and was feeling great, but then COVID hit followed by perimenopause and I have gained a ton of weight. I am now the heaviest I have ever been in my life and so now here I go again, only this time I have 67 pounds to lose.
    My company gives us access to Virgin Pulse, MFP, Peloton, Real Appeal, Gym Pass and several other resources so now I am checking them all out to see which one is the most beneficial and educational.
  • beljakovinc
    beljakovinc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok, it's hard at the start and you already know it, but when you will be in the process, you'll be glad to take this journey.
    I also gained quite a lot during covid (+25kg of pure fat) and getting back in shape is hard honestly, but the first step is mental. When you'll be mentally ready, just go for the finish line and don't take the sideway.
    Just be careful with some muscles as they could have got shortened by this time (liopsoas,calves,hamstrings,..) and don't go into full ROM without thinking twice (you are a nurse, so that souldn't be a problem). Take baby steps at first and try not to loose your patience.
    Oh, and start with emotional stability and get enough of sleep (this will depress unnecessary Carb loading).
    Good luck.
  • PennyLorraine
    PennyLorraine Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I can relate. Several years ago, I was diagnosed prediabetic and was highly motivated to lose weight. I lost 52 pounds, using MFP. Somehow 30 pounds have crept back, and I am really having trouble losing it. I go up a pound, down a pound, etc.

The last few years, I kept logging into MFP but wasn't faithful in recording my calories. I need to get back to that.

Let's all work at this together.
  • ketogirl4
    ketogirl4 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    From Oct 2023 to Feb 2024 I dropped 20kg, (i was 119kg) it was hard work, but I did it, and I reached my first goal of 99kg. Then I got to 98kg, and suddenly stopped losing, after mucking around until May, nothing happened, and started to gain up to the point where I was 105kg this week. I got serious again this week and said enough is enough, start working out again and count your calories! I'm proud to say I lost 1kg this week. So... its easy to put it on and get blase, we all do it. But getting back on the horse is what counts.
  • monrl
    monrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No real advice, but you’re not alone. In 2021 I lost around 30 pounds and was roughly 6 pounds from my goal…. Slowly, but surely, I’m basically back to my starting weight (I’m in my late 30s). Here we go again - we WILL do it! For me, I just need to stop making excuses, log my food, ditch the chips (but oh how I love them)! I’m going to make sure to have healthy, easy, ingredients on hand, that worked best last time. Stir fries are my best friend for weight loss!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down in smaller amounts a few times but seen some photos of myself recently and decided it's tomw to get real for health and vitality and being so overweight is just not going to cut it anymore. Day one back on track for me. I look forward to hearing how others go too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!