Glucose spikes with fruits

Options
Hey, everyone I'm been swamped with trying to find the right fruit to eat to help manage my blood sugar levels. I feel so exhausted with all these diabetes lifestyle changes 😪. Everyone else in my household is eating what ever they want and see this sometimes breaks my will and I give in now hours later I have a bad headache and blood sugar levels are higher. Now I know that the doctor said for me to get my blood sugar levels down. Right now as I'm posting this my sugar levels are 285 crazy right, this kinda feels normal to me taking my medication consistently I've see it go down as fas as 114 and I felt sick as a wet puppy during allergy season. I know I'm rambling off but in all, I need some motivation from real people. I need to feel the energy that us humans give to each other instead of my doctor bleeding out my bcbs yearly allowance and making me feel like a project of his and a pharmaceutical slave zombie.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion, no fruit. When I got a pre-diabetic blood test I went Keto, and within months my HbA1C was normal again. I would not eat fruit as it will spike blood sugar as it has lots of sugar in it. The only fruits I eat are those you might not consider fruit like bell peppers, but even then I keep my daily carbs down to 20-30 grams. Knowing what the long term effect of diabetes managed the standard way are, I refuse to go down that route. Keto will put type 2 diabetes into remission in pretty much all cases, but one has to stick with it or at least quite low carb to stay in remission regardless of what others around you are eating. Since you are diabetic, you need to really pay attention to blood sugar levels and medication amounts to avoid hypo episodes while you are adapting.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 506 Member
    edited May 8
    Options
    So, the carbs in fruit triggers the spike, same as other carb/starches...
    -- couple eating strategies. Pair carbs with proteins and healthy fats, eat carbs last to slow absorption
    -- for fruits, eat the whole fruit with included fiber instead of juice with fiber stripped out. The juice form has a concentrated form that spikes blood glucose faster...
    -- some fruits like berries do better. I also like citrus tangerine/orange fruit and fermented/vinegar foods which may help keep spikes lower, and may have other nutrition health benefits

and, i do agree with @rileysowner , to look at total carb. Keto can be 20g a day, some say up to 50g. I tend to do low carb about 100g across a day at +/- 25g per meal up to 4 meals a day... after experimenting to find what works for me emotionally along with the food to nourish the body.

-- speaking of juice (or skim milk) can be used if you experience a low blood sugar (70 or below, with symptoms like cold sweats, agitation) read up on what to do...
    ---- Sometimes, if you are used to higher numbers, then 120, 100 can feel odd, so do test to see if you have dropped low enough you need to act.)

Another idea.... after you eat, take a brisk 10 min walk/aerobic something... it will help reduce the hike from eating (a tip from an issue of diabetes prevention magazine.)

And, about eating with others, hear that! It can feel so difficult when other people are slammin down the treats and feast... Enough food is good, too much hurts, like too much alcohol, there's a tipping point where it makes us sick... Just realizing that helped me... to enjoy some, and mostly enjoy the party time with friends... can always eat more later when the body needs more.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy reference of fruits and where they land on the Glycemic Index. It includes Glycemic Load too, so you can tell how fast it affects your body.
    https://glycemic-index.net/glycemic-index-of-fruits/
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 506 Member
    edited May 8
    Options
    Re Glycemic load,
    A cardiac doctor strongly recommeded the 'glycemic index' approach to a family member, but the index had things like watermelon and carrots off the table for diabetes.

The glycemic load adjusts for reasonable serving size and puts some things like watermelon and carrots with good fiber back on the table.

There are so many differing arguments about how to eat, it gets confusing. One doc/team suggests keto, another intermittent fasting, another the diabetic food exchange plan, another pushed mediteranean, and another said 'whatever one you want to use.'

-- As a lay person, how the heck are we supposed to sleuth out truth? I wish there was a definitive clear 'do this, it helps the best'

Upshot though, diabetes can get way worse and complications are terrible, so it is worth eating well for our body now.... and it is nice to have a place where other people are trying too.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Keto works for some people but I am going to push back on the claim that “keto will put type 2 diabetes into remission in pretty much all cases”

Because it just is not true.
    Diabetes is a complex disorder, with multiple types of causes and individual differences in management needs.

Yes, keto is helpful for some people.
    Yes carb management is a key factor in every diet, especially when diabetes or pre-diabetes is a factor.

But keto is not a magic wand that will make diabetes go away in every case.
    Some people are more reactive. Big swings can be dangerous.

I get not wanting to be “a pharmaceutical slave zombie” I really do.
    But following your doctor’s advice is always more important than some random internet stranger.

If you want a second opinion? I encourage that. See if your insurance will cover in person diabetes education from a registered dietitian. Check to see if there are any in person diabetes support programs available to you.

I encourage you to do some trial blood glucose measurements and keep a log to see how various things affect you personally.

Test right before eating a carb. Test an hour later, and then two hours later. If your glucose level returns to baseline within two hours that food should be OK for you to eat.
    Test before working out, then again at intervals during your workout. Keep a log detailing intensity of activity, along with any food consumed directly before working out.
    And don’t test just fruits and carbs. Some foods can react surprisingly differently in some people.

Eventually you’ll notice what works best for you. And you will get better at managing your diabetes.

I am not saying that keto is wrong. But it is not always the right approach for every individual. Only you can make this decision for yourself.

It may be possible to avoid insulin, semeglutides, metformin, or other medications.
    But there is a real chance it may not be possible. And there is no shame in that.
    Doing whatever you need to do to get your blood sugar under control is key.

I encourage you to join this group here for detailed discussion about diabetes, diet, and exercise.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

I didn't say all cases, I said pretty much all cases.
  • jesman0324
    jesman0324 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last year. I quickly realized that if I wanted to feel better, I had to eat in a way that my body needed. To figure it out, I did research, learned carbs are the culprit, I started doing the finger prick to see where I was at upon waking, before meals, 1hr/2hr after meals, exercise, if I felt bad. Then I went and did a CGM and that was an eye opener!

What I will say, you cannot eat like everyone else, that is what got you in this position. The spikes that sugar/carbs cause are terrible. By eliminated that, you will slowly but surely turn things around. Just google how to keep your sugars from spiking and you will get so much information. Low carb, exercise, good sleep, water...all the normal stuff.

Also, losing weight is huge. Fat has a hormone that messes with this condition. But if you eat right, that will fall into place. It all fits togther. Also...after 3 months, my numbers were all back to normal but I was diligent.