“Medical Weight Loss” Mess

Options
jonikwhite
jonikwhite Posts: 2 Member
Hi all! I am a 49 year old woman. I have gained a lot of weight in the past 6-7 years and am determined to lose it. I’be been participating in a “medical weight loss” program for about 4 months and have lost less than 10 lbs. they want me eating less than 1000 calories per day and that’s impossible for me. I weigh 230 lbs right now and my goal is 175 lbs. I think I am going to quit the medical weight loss program. It’s not working because I’m “GOOD” all day, and then starving at night so I cheat. I need something that is a LIFESTYLE change and not an unhealthy scam. I think I just need to get my relationship with food in a better place and set realistic goals for each day. Frankly, I’m frustrated, hungry, and tired of being fat.

Replies

• thartsfi
    thartsfi Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 10
    Options
    You have it in you to make the changes. You need to "show up" for yourself every day. Figure out your macro needs or go low carb. Either way, you need to control junk and processed food intake. Take the small steps. No more take out or eating out until you can trust yourself to make the best decisions. Make your food at home, track every ingredient, package it so you never have a snack attack. If you do, enjoy some tomatoes, cucumber or something with balsamic. Eat grilled or baked protein (not covered in flour or anything). Fill yourself with the good stuff and not sauces or breads but protein and fiber, spices are your friend. Get an after work or night activity that does not allow you to be idle. Force yourself to walk several miles or march inside - your physical investment will be the fuel for your mental investment not to cheat. You got this, you just have to believe you got this. An occasional bad choice can be forgiven, let them not be habits, make your habit be accountability. You GOT THIS!
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Less than 1,000 calories is a terrible idea. I agree that's it's a better idea to do your own thing. This helps you learn about healthier choices which gives you the tools to maintain a (future) lower weight.

At the top of most Discussion categories there is a sticky for "most helpful posts." Start there, you will get tons of useful info.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Look for healthier choices that you can commit to. Log everything both good and bad. Bad days are a learning experience as well.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place.
    My advice (from my own experience) is to really seek out foods that keep you feeling full for a longer period of time.
    Also, for the sake of willpower management I like to have a really small breakfast, and a small lunch, then a little more generous sized dinner. All of these totaled together should still be under the established calorie limit for the day.
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Welcome!