Juice Cleanse/Reboot

Options
I just watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last night and I was blown away!! I am not as bad as they were when they started, I'm not sick and not as obese. But I still want to do it they lose massive amounts of weight by doing their fast.

Has anyone here done a juice fast/cleanse/reboot? I really want to know what I am getting into if I do go through with it.

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here done a juice fast/cleanse/reboot? I really want to know what I am getting into if I do go through with it.

There is only one way to lose weight, and that is to maintain a calorie deficit.

To lose 2 pounds a week, which is about the most you can do, you will need a daily caloric deficit of about 1000 calories. It doesn't matter if you are drinking juice or not.

There's nothing "cleansing" about drinking juice.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last night and I was blown away!! I am not as bad as they were when they started, I'm not sick and not as obese. But I still want to do it they lose massive amounts of weight by doing their fast.

That's a lot of research you've done, a biased documentary and that's it? What do juice cleanses cleanse exactly? Inb4unnamedtoxins
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's NOT a biased documentary!!!

It's a sales ad. The guy tours the country, selling juicers and giving out free samples.

ETA: You might get diabetes out of it http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/29/whole-fruit-juice-diabetes-risk?CMP=twt_gu
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Juicing removes a lot of the good nutrients in fruits and veggies that you could just as easily chew. Bonus? You don't have to buy a $150 juicer if you just eat fruit and veggies.

your body doesn't need a cleanse. That's what your kidneys are for
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Or you could just eat at a calorie deficit to lose the weight.........
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Propaganda film. There is no such thing as a reboot or cleanse outside of dialysis. Eat at a deficit, eat some fruit and vegetables and you'll be fine.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Juicing removes a lot of the good nutrients in fruits and veggies that you could just as easily chew. Bonus? You don't have to buy a $150 juicer if you just eat fruit and veggies.

your body doesn't need a cleanse. That's what your kidneys are for

/endthread
  • Ximana
    Options
    JUice when homemade in a blender or juicer is very cleansing

Say if your making orange juice , you juice a couple of oranges and add 1 cup of filtered or mineral water and you'll have the best and freshest orange juice

Bottled juices are normally not as good for cleansing
  • MichelleP418
    MichelleP418 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried the cleanse for 15 days. Yes I lost weight, but when you go back to solid foods you will tend to gain it back. My doctor took me off of it due to the headaches, dizzy spells, not able to focus and really not having enough energy to exercise with is key. They say it lasts a couple of day, but for 2 weeks, every time I would stand up, I would get extremely dizzy. I personally would not do it, but if you do decide to do it, make sure you drink a bunch of veggies. more so than the fruit due to sugar. Try a raw diet if you want to stick with just fruits and veggies...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Don't fall for that feature length juicer advert.
  • Ximana
    Options
    As a professional health researcher you cannot get diabetes from juicing , however you can get diabetes from eating a diet rich in animal proteins, just so you know the truth
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last night and I was blown away!!

Your next step should be to forget everything you "learned" while watching this ridiculous "film." It's all nonsense, and fasting to lose weight is probably the single worst thing you could do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    As a professional health researcher you cannot get diabetes from juicing , however you can get diabetes from eating a diet rich in animal proteins, just so you know the truth

Can you link us to some research on diabetes from animal proteins please?

Thanks!

Edited to add that I found this article that was well presented and referenced. In their opinion, the research does not show a link between animal proteins and creating diabetes. http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

A professional health researcher, huh?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Can you link us to some research on diabetes from animal proteins please?

Thanks!

Edited to add that I found this article that was well presented and referenced. In their opinion, the research does not show a link between animal proteins and creating diabetes. http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm

Pah! What would the American Diabetes Association know about diabetes?

Besides, they have a vested interest in keeping diabetes levels high enough to maintain their funding, while giving just enough illusion of progress to appear necessary. It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy!
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's NOT a biased documentary!!!

It's a sales ad. The guy tours the country, selling juicers and giving out free samples.

ETA: You might get diabetes out of it http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/29/whole-fruit-juice-diabetes-risk?CMP=twt_gu

I didn't see any reference to the actual study, but the article says that people who drank juice instead of eating fruit and vegetables (for more than 4 years?) were at higher risk of developing diabetes. That makes sense to me. Replacing fruit and vegetable consumption with drinking fruit juice for years at a time has got to be hard on your body. But a fresh fruit and vegetable juice cleanse or fast for a short period of time? Why not? Maybe it could give you a jump start on weight loss. Lots of people enjoy it and say it makes them feel better- that's why it's such a big business right now. I'd be curious to know if any of the participants in the study drank fresh juice, which is way different than processed juice purchased in stores. I didn't see any mention of vegetable juices either which are way lower in sugar.

To answer the original poster's question. Yes, I have tried it. I have found that including one meal of fresh fruit and vegetables each day during a juice fast is much easier that excluding whole food altogether. But try it for yourself if you are curious. There's some yummy juices out there! It's fun to experiment.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

:huh: :noway:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Pah! What would the American Diabetes Association know about diabetes?

Besides, they have a vested interest in keeping diabetes levels high enough to maintain their funding, while giving just enough illusion of progress to appear necessary. It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy!

LOL! Yup.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    JUice when homemade in a blender or juicer is very cleansing

Say if your making orange juice , you juice a couple of oranges and add 1 cup of filtered or mineral water and you'll have the best and freshest orange juice

Bottled juices are normally not as good for cleansing

Exactly HOW does it cleanse?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ok 1/10

maybe.